Does anyone know anything about this HCA IM Residency in Arlington, Texas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jay2910

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
So this residency program

HCA Medical City North Texas Consortium IM Program-Arlington, Texas

Had multiple openings during SOAP 2021. The only thing I know about this hospital is that NPs and PAs train there too.
1) Is there a reason why there were so many openings?
2) Is there something I should be aware of in general when joining an HCA program?
3) How are the IM rounds?
4) Will they help you with reimbursement if you want to go take a course for couple of days somewhere-for example on POCUS?

5) On their website, the didactic schedule looks rigorous? But a lot of people say that HCA's don't prioritize education. How is it really?

Members don't see this ad.

Looks like it's a fairly new program - their handbook only lists interns, so they might just be accepting their second-ever class right now. Lots of newer programs don't fill for whatever reason. Particularly in this weird year where everyone overapplied due to virtual interviews.

Can't answer the rest of your questions.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m Transitional Year resident at a HCA program (not at the one you listed). The IM program at my hospital always has multiple SOAP spots. In fact MOST spots are SOAPs.

A lot of the categorical IM residents at my hospital are generally unhappy; mostly because their options for fellowships are pretty slim because it’s a community hospital (as are many HCA hospitals). As far as their training; I think it’s okay. I only do a few months with them and they have morning report, didactics, etc which all seems fine. The residents are knowledgeable as a whole.

I will say that the patients we see are not nearly as sick or complex as the ones at my med school’s hospital. Because it’s a community program, many patients get transferred out depending on the problem. At my specific hospital we don’t have neurosurgery (!!!) so any neurosurgical issue goes out to another HCA hospital. Same with trauma—ANY trauma goes elsewhere. This is not good for the trainee.

If you can, go to an academic hospital. The training is just not the same. HCA makes $$ from you being there; you are not their priority. There are nice and caring faculty members here, but in general there is no comparison between HCA and a big university hospital. I chose to do my TY here for the hours (which are great!) but I after my TY is up, I’ll happily march over to my academic radiology program in a few months to get real training.

If you have a choice, avoid HCA and other for profits like the flipping plague. Worst thing to happen to medicine. Even worse than midlevels.

Reactions: 7 users
Did my preliminary medicine intern year at a community hospital under the HCA umbrella but connected to a university with med students rotating through. I had a good experience and felt like it prepared me well for my advanced residency. Your milage may vary, however.

Reactions: 1 user
If you have a choice, avoid HCA and other for profits like the flipping plague. Worst thing to happen to medicine. Even worse than midlevels.

Silly question. What is HCA? Some type of P/E?

Silly question. What is HCA? Some type of P/E?

As someone said, it stands for Hospital Corporation of America. It's a for-profit company that in my experience cares about money above anything else. If you can help it, don't associate yourself with them or any other for-profit outfit.

If you have a choice, do it at a referral center and trauma center. Any training program where you are sending sick pts and Trauma pts shows the lack of acuity and speciality care.

Re: #2) I would avoid HCA institutions if at all possible - HCA uses MediTech which is a contender for the single worst EMR known to mankind. Meditech could negatively impact your mental health and your patients’ physical health.

It's really something. I've said, "It's not which EMR is the best, but which one sucks the least". When I used Meditech, it was just intuitive to me. One of the nurses asked me if I'd ever used it before the first time I used it, and I had not. Likewise, I figured out (with one notable hiccup) CPRS essentially just like that.

And, let me list them: the HHC one in NYC, Wellsoft, CPRS, PICIS/Ibex, NextGen, Cerner, Meditech, Healthland. (Healthland started out as "Dairyland" - a cattle milking tracker. I kid you not.)

It's really something. I've said, "It's not which EMR is the best, but which one sucks the least". When I used Meditech, it was just intuitive to me. One of the nurses asked me if I'd ever used it before the first time I used it, and I had not. Likewise, I figured out (with one notable hiccup) CPRS essentially just like that.

And, let me list them: the HHC one in NYC, Wellsoft, CPRS, PICIS/Ibex, NextGen, Cerner, Meditech, Healthland. (Healthland started out as "Dairyland" - a cattle milking tracker. I kid you not.)
I'm using NextGen right now and I want to rip what is left of my hair out every day.