Does anyone know anything about UMES?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Buk Lau

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got invited to an interview and I was concerned about the intensity of the curriculum when I checked out past threads. Does anyone have any more information on this school?

Members don't see this ad.

I got invited to an interview and I was concerned about the intensity of the curriculum when I checked out past threads. Does anyone have any more information on this school?
pharmacy school is not intense. I went to a three year program and it was a joke. I drank almost every day and still did well. A four year will be even easier and more of a waste of time. Can you convert 500 mcg to kg? well done you get ur degree

pharmacy school is not intense. I went to a three year program and it was a joke. I drank almost every day and still did well. A four year will be even easier and more of a waste of time. Can you convert 500 mcg to kg? well done you get ur degree
Ok lol this is enough. Who are you even? Like where did you go and where do you work?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
In this era of proliferating "Me Too!" pharmacy schools, I consider UMES to be an okay school. It is a relatively new school (opened in 2010), but it doesn't have the reputation of a low-tier, recently opened private pharmacy school. I have a lot of undergraduate friends who went to that school and all of them were able to get satisfying and high-paying jobs after graduation. However, it's nowhere close to the main pharmacy school in the state - UMD Baltimore - in terms of academic value and national reputation within the industry. Why not go to the latter? The total tuition of the Baltimore campus is actually less throughout the 4 years, plus you will probably have more opportunities if you go there.

Expect it to be intense as it is a 3-yr program but it's definitely do-able. Not really cheap in comparison to 4-year programs.

In this era of proliferating "Me Too!" pharmacy schools, I consider UMES to be an okay school. It is a relatively new school (opened in 2010), but it doesn't have the reputation of a low-tier, recently opened private pharmacy school. I have a lot of undergraduate friends who went to that school and all of them were able to get satisfying and high-paying jobs after graduation. However, it's nowhere close to the main pharmacy school in the state - UMD Baltimore - in terms of academic value and national reputation within the industry. Why not go to the latter? The total tuition of the Baltimore campus is actually less throughout the 4 years, plus you will probably have more opportunities if you go there.
I got accepted to UMES, but decided not to go. I can deal with the intense curriculum, but I think it's too rigorous for my taste. I applied to UMD also and I heard they don't reply until january, so I'm waiting until then.

I got accepted to UMES, but decided not to go. I can deal with the intense curriculum, but I think it's too rigorous for my taste. I applied to UMD also and I heard they don't reply until january, so I'm waiting until then.
If you're lucky you won't get in to any schools.

If you are serious about pharmacy and want to study in Maryland, I implore you to go to the best AND cheapest school that you can. The job market is said to be not so hot anymore and the established schools have an upper hand when it comes to where pharmacy is heading - clinical and patient-centered roles - this will be critical when you are aiming for a residency (like doctors!). Although UM Baltimore is 4 years, you will have much more time and freedom to seek out extracurricular opportunities that will help you in the long run.

UM Baltimore is also the only pharmacy school in Maryland that posts their post-graduation employment rate, which might imply something about the other two schools.

Reactions: 1 user