does anyone know????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iapplehead

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what is the difference between an informal post-bacc program, for example at SFSU, or just taking classes over or taking more upper level classes for gpa enhancement at your own university? i am not sure if i should move away and join SFSU and their informal post-bacc program or if i should just stay in my hometown and retake and/or take upper level courses. i guess what i'm asking is what is the benefit from doing the program at sfsu? and also do these programs really make a difference as far as getting accepted into med school in the long run? is it worth joing an informal post-bacc program after all? any advice....??? thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

iapplehead said:
what is the difference between an informal post-bacc program, for example at SFSU, or just taking classes over or taking more upper level classes for gpa enhancement at your own university? i am not sure if i should move away and join SFSU and their informal post-bacc program or if i should just stay in my hometown and retake and/or take upper level courses. i guess what i'm asking is what is the benefit from doing the program at sfsu? and also do these programs really make a difference as far as getting accepted into med school in the long run? is it worth joing an informal post-bacc program after all? any advice....??? thanks!

also... the reason why i say "informal" is because even though i am not a science major, i have taken most prereqs and a couple of upper level science courses but need to bring my science gpa up and finish up my prereqs. so i wouldn't think, after readin most of the posts, that i would need a "formal" program... is this right? i find that sfsu has a "informal" program, but seems to be a great match for myself and has a large postbacc community. but by doing an informal, will i still get the same benefits such as research exp, prep for mcat and etc????

There is no real difference between SFSU and taking classes at your local university at this time. However, they are trying to set up a formal 2-year post-bac program to start in the summer (this is still in negotiation I think). SFSU does not offer an MCAT prep class-- you will have to seek out review courses like Kaplan, Princeton Review, Berkeley Review etc. You'll see though that TPR does hold its classes on SFSU campus. Research opportunities are available but again, you'll have to seek them out. This is the notion of being "informal" and even so, there have been several successful med school applicants that come out of SFSU.

Remember, going to a "formal" program which can be very expensive does not guarantee an acceptance into medical school. Ultimately, it depends on what works best for you.

Good luck!