does anyone see a problem with this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bella_dottoressa

make it happen
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering what you guys thought of this plan...
At the end of the next school year (a year from this June) I'll have gen chem, bio, 2 out of 3 quarters of physics, physiology, biochem and genetics all done. I'll also have a completely free summer where I could study for the mcat each day. Does anyone see any problems with taking the mcat in the summer following my sophomore year instead of april of my junior year? Thanks so much :)

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by crystal18mc
I was just wondering what you guys thought of this plan...
At the end of the next school year (a year from this June) I'll have gen chem, bio, 2 out of 3 quarters of physics, physiology, biochem and genetics all done. I'll also have a completely free summer where I could study for the mcat each day. Does anyone see any problems with taking the mcat in the summer following my sophomore year instead of april of my junior year? Thanks so much :)
I would wait until you have organic done. For me that was one of the most difficult parts of the test. You would compromise your Biology score otherwise

Oh yeah, and one other thing. The scores are only good for so long at certain schools (two to three years). So if you did not get in the first time around you might have to retake it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know of a few people who were in the same situation as you, and they did "awesome" on the MCAT.

I wish I knew I was pre-med my freshman year so I could be taking the MCAT and be done with it by the end of this summer.

you would be better off doing something to enhance your application to medical school, e.g. a research project, during your summer. studying for the mcat, is a waste of a summer.

p.s. I took the mcat in April (some years ago), along with a full courseload, and did quite well. So long as you've got a good foundation, you will be able to attain a high score.

best of luck

I can see the validity of doc05's argument, doing a research project or something that would enhance your application would probably be useful. I think without my project last summer, I wouldn't consider myself to be nearly as competitive of an applicant this summer (pending my April MCAT score).

However, the flip side is that everyone I know who did take it past summer did realllly well (35+). I think taking it in the summer has numerous advantages: you've just finished your pre-reqs + you have everyday to study hard and exhaust all your resources = high MCAT score.

So, I think there's some sacrifice that will be made depending on what option you choose. If you have a project that you think would set you apart from other applicants, pursue that. Otherwise, I would suggest taking the MCAT in the summer and kicking a$$ on it. Outstanding extracurriculars are more commonplace than high MCAT scores.

Sachin

You could take it in the summer, boost your app. w/ ec's during the fall, and have the luxury of applying super early and not stressing out during the spring semester like all your classmates.

I think that's the best way to stay relatively stress free.

Originally posted by doc05
you would be better off doing something to enhance your application to medical school, e.g. a research project, during your summer. studying for the mcat, is a waste of a summer.

p.s. I took the mcat in April (some years ago), along with a full courseload, and did quite well. So long as you've got a good foundation, you will be able to attain a high score.

best of luck

To this i say- Research Shmeesearch-

there is nothing impossible about getting involved with a research project and studying for the MCAT at the same time (in the same summer)

would that be any worse than if you took it in the spring with your normal class load?

in fact, if you do something else in the summer along with the mcat, it will probably get you more focused on your work -- if that's the kind of situation you want to be in.

personally, i would just chill the whole summer and study for the mcat for like 2-3hrs/day.

I think it sounds like a good idea. Doing something in the summer with the MCAT would probably be a good idea too though. Like Indyz said, it might get you focused. I knew when I thought about taking it the summer, I wouldn't be able to focus with the nice warm weather outside. As others have said as well, if you didn't do so hot, you could always take it again and you wouldn't be set back on everything. Wish, I had known about the application process and everything more in advance, it makes a few decisions a little easier.

Thanks so much everyone, for all the wonderful advice. I think taking the test in August will really work out well for me after considering everything. Thanks again!! :)