Does applying to dental required a Bachelor degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WorcesterPHOBoy

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I dont care if it is competitive with a bachelor degree or not, BUT it is REQUIRED to have it in order to apply? because I am attending Community College right now...Thank you so much guys!!

Members don't see this ad.

to my knowledge, it's not required because students can apply after only three years of undergrad which means they never get their bachelor's degree

dizzle23x said:
to my knowledge, it's not required because students can apply after only three years of undergrad which means they never get their bachelor's degree

And the chances of actually being accepted without a bachelors degree are slim. Just get the degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not required, but it is HIGHLY preferred by dental schools. Only a small percentage of matriculants don't have one and they tend to have amazing stats and can, amazingly enough, bend steel with their mind.

Sprgrover said:
It's not required, but it is HIGHLY preferred by dental schools. Only a small percentage of matriculants don't have one and they tend to have amazing stats and can, amazingly enough, bend steel with their mind.
Although some schools may admit applicants just because they can bend steel with their minds (which would be really cool), each school has different requirements for their applicants. Some schools simply will not accept applicants without a 4-year degree.

Jeppedo said:
Although some schools may admit applicants just because they can bend steel with their minds (which would be really cool), each school has different requirements for their applicants. Some schools simply will not accept applicants without a 4-year degree.

Can you give me an example of a few schools DO NOT accept applicant without a 4-year degree?!?

WorcesterPHOBoy said:
Can you give me an example of a few schools DO NOT accept applicant without a 4-year degree?!?

Unless you have amazing stats, as in 3.9-4.0 GPA and 24+ DAT you don't stand a chance without that degree.

I applied this year without a degree and I only recieved 1 interview, and I highly doubt I'll get accepted. I didn't apply to any private schools because of the cost, so that probably hurt my chances of getting in as they seem to be more willing to accept early applicants than the state schools. VCU's website says they will accept you without a degree, but I'm instate and havent heard a word since they recieved my application in August so its a good bet they weren't interested. Bottomline is that if you want to go to dental school, you're going to need a degree.

WorcesterPHOBoy said:

I believe USC only accepts people with degrees.

UOP on the otherhand accepts a lot of applicants without degrees. It probably has to do with the fact that UOP has it's own 5 year(2 undergrad + 3 dental) and 6 year (3 undergrad + 3 dental) programs through the main campus, but there are a good number in my class from ASU without degrees too. The students that completed 3 years of school get awarded a BS along with their DDS upon graduation. The 2 year kids are outa luck, they have to deal with just being a 22-23 year old dentist.

In regards to schools that accept students without a degree: UT-Houston, UT-San Antonio, Louisville, Indiana.

At least those are the ones that accepted me.

There is no science to being accepted, no special formula. Each school is different, each admissions committee is different, each admissions cycle of any given school is different from the previous year. To say that it's impossible is completely wrong - it's difficult but not at all impossible.

Also, I didn't attend some great, prestigious university. I went to a two-year private junior college to start & then completed just over four more semesters from 3 other different colleges (I moved around a lot). I'm still about 30 credit hours away from a bachelor's degree at the school I last attended, which was over three years ago.

Difficult to get accepted .... yes, but not as hard as everyone makes it out to be.

FCIllini said:
In regards to schools that accept students without a degree: UT-Houston, UT-San Antonio, Louisville, Indiana.

At least those are the ones that accepted me.

There is no science to being accepted, no special formula. Each school is different, each admissions committee is different, each admissions cycle of any given school is different from the previous year. To say that it's impossible is completely wrong - it's difficult but not at all impossible.

Also, I didn't attend some great, prestigious university. I went to a two-year private junior college to start & then completed just over four more semesters from 3 other different colleges (I moved around a lot). I'm still about 30 credit hours away from a bachelor's degree at the school I last attended, which was over three years ago.

Difficult to get accepted .... yes, but not as hard as everyone makes it out to be.

Good going FCIllini! Congrats. What school are you planning to attend, nice to have so many choices!

WorcesterPHOBoy said:
I dont care if it is competitive with a bachelor degree or not, BUT it is REQUIRED to have it in order to apply? because I am attending Community College right now...Thank you so much guys!!
Officially, not required. Functionally, required.

Members don't see this ad :)
aphistis said:
Officially, not required. Functionally, required.

That's what a lot of admissions directors I have spoken with said. The transition for somebody who took most of their classes on a junior college level and has no bachelors degree, while doable, won't be pretty.

I am pretty sure that you need to go to a 4 year college, but as far as getting a degree, that is a bunch of crap!! I have heard that garbage for years, so I applied without a degree and got into multiple schools, even turned down interviews, like one guy said there is no magic formula. A degree doesn't mean squat, people go and get masters degrees, doesn't mean squat. You need 90+ credits to be competitive, a 3.5 gpa, dental experience, and a 19 on the DAT. That should be sufficient. A degree, they really don't care. At least at UNLV, Indiana, Case, Ohio, VCU, Nova, Temple, Marquette, UOP, AZ, Creighton, and many more just to name a few.
Everyone has their own opinions and experiences, that is mine.

Vitae said:
That's what a lot of admissions directors I have spoken with said. The transition for somebody who took most of their classes on a junior college level and has no bachelors degree, while doable, won't be pretty.

DIRTIE said:
I am pretty sure that you need to go to a 4 year college, but as far as getting a degree, that is a bunch of crap!! I have heard that garbage for years

A VERY small percentage of people get into dental school WITHOUT a bachelors degree. It seems you were one of the lucky ones...but I'd bet that many more applicants across the nation that were just as qualified (if not more) as you did not get a serious look because they lacked a bachelors degree. Anybody that thinks they can get into dental school without a bachelors degree are up against some pretty stiff odds. The fact you guys are trying to trivialize the importance most dental schools place on an applicant having a bachelors degree is laughable.

Vitae said:
A VERY small percentage of people get into dental school WITHOUT a bachelors degree. It seems you were one of the lucky ones...but I'd bet that many more applicants across the nation that were just as qualified (if not more) as you did not get a serious look because they lacked a bachelors degree. Anybody that thinks they can get into dental school without a bachelors degree are up against some pretty stiff odds. The fact you guys are trying to trivialize the importance most dental schools place on an applicant having a bachelors degree is laughable.

I'm not trying to 'trivialize' anything - I'm just saying that it is possible to get into d-school without the bachelor's degree & that there are many schools out there who do accept students without one.

Is it difficult and are the percentages low - of course they are, but it's still doable & there have been many posts in this forum showing the numbers matriculated with only 3 years or 4 years (no degree) of undergraduate work.

And honestly, I don't consider myself a 'lucky one' - I busted my hump for 20+ on all sections of the DAT after being out of school for 4 years.

FCIllini said:
And honestly, I don't consider myself a 'lucky one' - I busted my hump for 20+ on all sections of the DAT after being out of school for 4 years.

20+ on all sections of the DAT is becoming less and less impressive these days, so don't pat yourself on the back too hard. A good GPA can be attained when you take two years of community college classes, and then pick and choose some upper level science classes carefully to maintain that GPA. I'm not knocking you, but while your stats are solid, they're not "knock your socks off" solid. I'd venture to say that due to your older age you became a unique applicant to the adcoms, because frankly there are lots of 20+ DAT's out there from great 4-year universities who still haven't been accepted anywhere.

I'm glad you got into dental school without a bachelors degree. It's uncommon but it does happen. Don't go advising a person that he doesn't need a bachelors degree--you're only setting him up for a potentially big dissapointment.

I interviewed at several schools and was admitted to four. I just started my third year of school and have no chance of completing my degree. I am older and have some interesting experiences, and a 20+ on the DAT helped, but I don't think that not having a degree hurt me other than limiting the schools I could apply to. I know of two others in my school that did the same. I think if you are younger than a degree is needed, but those of us changing careers just need to show determination. I would recommend applying w/o it, worse cause you gain some experience and only lose a few grand. If you are lucky you are a year ahead.

DIRTIE said:
I am pretty sure that you need to go to a 4 year college, but as far as getting a degree, that is a bunch of crap!! I have heard that garbage for years, so I applied without a degree and got into multiple schools, even turned down interviews, like one guy said there is no magic formula. A degree doesn't mean squat, people go and get masters degrees, doesn't mean squat. You need 90+ credits to be competitive, a 3.5 gpa, dental experience, and a 19 on the DAT. That should be sufficient. A degree, they really don't care. At least at UNLV, Indiana, Case, Ohio, VCU, Nova, Temple, Marquette, UOP, AZ, Creighton, and many more just to name a few.
Everyone has their own opinions and experiences, that is mine.
I'm a D3 at Indiana, and out of 400 DDS students, you can count on one hand the number without a bachelor's. If you want to attend dental school, get the degree.

aphistis said:
I'm a D3 at Indiana, and out of 400 DDS students, you can use the fingers on one hand to count the ones without a bachelor's. If you want to attend dental school, get the degree.

i agree. i think ten years ago getting in w/out a degree wasn't as unusual as it is now. i applied w/out the chance of having a degree by next august and i got 4 interview invites. each school was really positive about my chances even w/out a degree and they were impressed w/ my stats, but in the end none of them have accepted me...yet. i'm not saying it's impossible b/c i know there are people who do it, but you have to have a REALLY GOOD REASON why you're not going to have a degree. it is not very realistic to expect a 30 year old father to go through the trouble of signing up for a year or more of undergrad courses just so they can retake them all in dental school. but it makes since that someone like myself could just stay in school for 6 more months and finish a degree program.

Vitae said:
I'm glad you got into dental school without a bachelors degree. It's uncommon but it does happen. Don't go advising a person that he doesn't need a bachelors degree--you're only setting him up for a potentially big dissapointment.

And here's the problem - I never advised the OP to not get a bachelor's; it's for the best to have one, it's the best path.

What I did was answer his question: 'Is it REQUIRED?". To which the apparent answer is, no.

Stop being so bitter and on the attack on those who got in without a bachelor's. We all worked hard to get in & the admin committees apparently saw this. Are we a minority - definitely, yes.

FCIllini said:
Stop being so bitter and on the attack on those who got in without a bachelor's.

Don't flatter yourself. :rolleyes:

Some of us here are just trying to give sound advice to other pre-dental students rather than let a few exceptions who had unique circumstances to misguide others and pass off their "no degree" situation as something that commonly occurs.

i was accepted into dental school this year after only 3 years (not even because i am done now)... so really i only went for two and a half years. my stats were not incredible, and my grades weren't ridiculously superior.

anyone can get in, i say apply, what is there to lose? also you can gain the "persistence" advantage by it being your second year applying after four years when you will have a degree

aphistis said:
I'm a D3 at Indiana, and out of 400 DDS students, you can count on one hand the number without a bachelor's. If you want to attend dental school, get the degree.

Maybe that is because not very many people end up applying without one. I know 3 people that got in to Indiana and did not attend there last year, all three did not have a degree. I cancelled my interview, not to say that I would have gotten in.

I know of quite a few people who applied and were accepted without a bachelor degree but they had amazing stats.

I think if you can apply and get in without a bachelor degree, that's awesome...especially if you have enough money to just "go for it" to see what happens.

On the other hand, consider the benefits to getting a bachelor degree, as well:

-- Pride in finishing what you started.
-- Thinking of all that money and time that went into getting the prerequisites, many times the time to finish the degree is less than the time you've already accumulated.
-- If for whatever reason you get in dental school and discover it isn't your thing or God forbid you don't make it through (poor performance, medical issue, whatnot), you're not stranded.
-- Etc.

Just keep in mind that getting your degree, and not getting it...both have pros/cons. Consider both...and go forward.

Best wishes,

Beach