Does Baylor help get into BCM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BUpre-med

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a freshman at Baylor University with a 4.0. Well, I am technically a sophomore because I was home schooled and took college courses rather than high school classes (not exactly sure if that is useful information or not). But, I was wondering if attending Baylor University would help or hinder me in my chances of getting into BCM. I know BCM is independent from Baylor University, but do they favor Baylor applicants over those of out-of-state colleges or different Texas colleges? Should I transfer to Rice for my sophomore year?

Members don't see this ad.

Nope..... Just get a good GPA and rock the MCAT..

Sent from my phone.

Your good. I agree with the person above me, but I will add this, try to do have some good extra curricular activities. Rice has a BS/MD path, but I think you need to apply while in HS.

Members don't see this ad :)
They do not favor Baylor U students, but they do favor Texas residents (they have to). Rice grads happen to make up a huge chunk of my class, as do UT students and Aggies. None of them are favored, though. What we all have in common is that we were good applicants. I'd also say we're pretty cool, too. :cool:

There is a program at Baylor aptly called Baylor Squared. You can get into that program and you are guaranteed admission if you meet certain criteria. However idk if it's open to sophomores. It should've been done last year

They do not favor Baylor U students, but they do favor Texas residents (they have to). Rice grads happen to make up a huge chunk of my class, as do UT students and Aggies. None of them are favored, though. What we all have in common is that we were good applicants. I'd also say we're pretty cool, too. :cool:
Thanks! I always wondered if BCM had more Rice grads because they were favored or because they tend to be better students? Are there any Baylor grads in your class? I guess it would be smarter to stay at Baylor and spend my time studying for the MCAT rather than transferring to Rice.

I am currently a freshman at Baylor University with a 4.0. Well, I am technically a sophomore because I was home schooled and took college courses rather than high school classes (not exactly sure if that is useful information or not). But, I was wondering if attending Baylor University would help or hinder me in my chances of getting into BCM. I know BCM is independent from Baylor University, but do they favor Baylor applicants over those of out-of-state colleges or different Texas colleges? Should I transfer to Rice for my sophomore year?

Sic em.

I strongly urge you to consider rushing a fraternity. You won't regret it.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks! I always wondered if BCM had more Rice grads because they were favored or because they tend to be better students? Are there any Baylor grads in your class? I guess it would be smarter to stay at Baylor and spend my time studying for the MCAT rather than transferring to Rice.

Yes; a buddy of mine from my class is a Baylor U grad. We probably have a few more, but he's the one I know. I always forget where everyone went; probably because I'm an OOS student. I know where the few other people from my state went. I wouldn't bother transferring out of Baylor if you like it there. I went to a no-name OOS school, and now I'm at BCM. Where you went doesn't matter that much.

There is a program at Baylor aptly called Baylor Squared. You can get into that program and you are guaranteed admission if you meet certain criteria. However idk if it's open to sophomores. It should've been done last year
I wanted to apply for that but I was a couple points away from the required ACT score so I didn't. I also did not get the best grades my freshman year of high school so that skewed my GPA (and you pretty much have to get a 4.0 to get into Baylor^2 Medical Track). I'm just going to get in medical school the traditional way.

I noticed this at my Baylor interview. It was actually kind of offputting as they seemed to have such familiar experiences that they were forming their own little groups.

Also, the Rice kids had this arrogance about them. It was as if they thought they were better than other people at the interviews and other students because they went to Rice. I was just like who the F*ck cares.

I didn't notice this at UT Southwestern.

Then a sorority..
They give you tons of leadership positions and ECs. Go for something in the IFC
I thought about that but I decided that the amount of money it costs to be in a sorority isn't worth the possible leadership position. I still may join if I find the social aspect is worth the money, but as of now I'm just going to join clubs and do service work.

It won't help in the sense that you're probably thinking, but there is absolutely a relationship between the pre-health office and BCM admissions folk that can be to your advantage. There are many opportunities for internships at BCM facilities open to Baylor students. You just have to take the initiative to ask about them. As you might expect, that would be an advantage for you in that you have a connection to the institution.

Good luck and sic 'em.

I just got into Baylor College of Medicine (received the phone call just now and felt like humble bragging), and i didn't go to Baylor undergrad.

It doesn't really matter where you do your undergrad. Just get a high mcat score and a high gpa.

Probably true given the rigor of the university. You can't ignore that.

Ya I know a feel people from BU undergrad who got into BCM, one of which was in the B^2 program. As a freshman, just worry about doing as much as you can to expand your future med school application by getting plugged into both medically relevant volunteer work and leadership experiences. More importantly, however, enjoy this amazing football season and your time at BU. It's an amazing school!
Also, IFC is for fraternities, Panhellenic is for sororities. Ya you should rush, it really impacted my application with all of my leadership experiences as a guy in a fraternity. Sororities have even more opportunities in my opinion with the size of their organizations. I've had a lot of great conversations about it during my interviews.

The most recent affiliation was with the visit of Dr Peter Hotez of BCM, and him pioneering a tropical health/infectious disease program than may have only been open to baylor students (can't recall :/)

You best bet would be to visit Dr. Sanker and ask what you can do to up your ante as he has had many students in the 2013 graduating class commit there but they had won goldwaters/Fulbright/rhode's finalists.