Does BC Calc give you credit for Calc II?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
E

EC

Hi Everyone,

It's probably a little late for me to be asking this questions, since I've submitted my applications. But the question just crossed my mind...what does BC Calculus give credit for? Calc I only or Calc I and II? Thanks.

EC

Members don't see this ad.

Generally, your undergrad school will decide what classes AP credits count for. I don't think that AMCAS does this at all.

At my school at least, BC Calc will not get you out of Calc II...and rightfully so. In all honesty, BC calc doesn't cover some of the material in Calc II, and doesn't go into as much depth as any college calc course. For me, BC Calc only got me out of 1st sem. premed calc (there's a difference...as in math for premeds and management majors is quite a lot easier than the regular math sequence), and even if you got a 5 on the BC exam I would not recommend jumping into a higher level math or skipping premed math requirements all together.

Members don't see this ad :)
At Duke, a BC calc AP test score of 4 or 5 got you out of both semesters of single variable calculus (calc I and calc II?). A 3 only got you out of calc I.

I remember when I took BC calculus I got credit for both Cal I and II. So, I ended up taking Cal III first semester of college. Again, I think it depends on the school. My undergrad was like dukeblue's school. I guess if you really want to know you can look through your school's catalog/bulletin.

At my school, if you received a 5 on the BC Calc AP test you were given credit for Calc I & II but it is the school that determines this, not AMCAS.