Does being a treasurer for a non-pharmacy organization look good for CV?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SeekerofTruth

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The organization is Help Hope Humanity and I'm thinking about running for treasurer. I'm hoping I don't do too much and more importantly, something that won't count for anything when I apply for residency/fellowship.
 
It can't hurt. Especially a leadership type position like that. Sure, you might not be directing the club, but in charge of the finances shows maturity and capability.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The organization is Help Hope Humanity and I'm thinking about running for treasurer. I'm hoping I don't do too much and more importantly, something that won't count for anything when I apply for residency/fellowship.

Yeah, why get involved with that attitude? You will get much more out of something that you look forward to instead of just "hoping you don't do too much".
 
Oh dang. I'm sorry, I didn't mean for it to come out that way. I meant to say I hope I don't overexert myself with the responsibilities of treasurer, studying for my classes, a 7 hour per week job, and undergrad research.

The thing is, I kind of want to make sure this will help me in the long run because I don't want to get involved with everything only to find out it's worthless in the eyes of the residency people.
 
Oh dang. I'm sorry, I didn't mean for it to come out that way. I meant to say I hope I don't overexert myself with the responsibilities of treasurer, studying for my classes, a 7 hour per week job, and undergrad research.

The thing is, I kind of want to make sure this will help me in the long run because I don't want to get involved with everything only to find out it's worthless in the eyes of the residency people.

Once you get past the idea of doing these things to please other people, and instead decide that you want to do these things for yourself, you'll be able to take ownership of the things you choose to devote your time to. Once you make that choice, your involvement will be more convincing/actually give you something to talk about, which will be of more interest to any interviewer than something you did just to put on a piece of paper/please somebody.

Excitement is contagious. Would your rather talk to somebody who went through the motions because it was expected, or because they were truly excited about doing these things?

Choose things to do that you could fall in love with, and really like doing. Otherwise you'll never do these things for yourself.
 
Once you get past the idea of doing these things to please other people, and instead decide that you want to do these things for yourself, you'll be able to take ownership of the things you choose to devote your time to. Once you make that choice, your involvement will be more convincing/actually give you something to talk about, which will be of more interest to any interviewer than something you did just to put on a piece of paper/please somebody.

Excitement is contagious. Would your rather talk to somebody who went through the motions because it was expected, or because they were truly excited about doing these things?

Choose things to do that you could fall in love with, and really like doing. Otherwise you'll never do these things for yourself.


I really like this organization actually..can someone tell me how involved they got during pharmacy school? I'd like to see if I'm spreading myself too thin.
 
I really like this organization actually..can someone tell me how involved they got during pharmacy school? I'd like to see if I'm spreading myself too thin.

We aren't you. We don't know how you can handle your work load. I know people that couldn't do anything but study for school because they weren't content with anything less than perfection. I'm the type of person who is going to school, can work a 20-30 hour a week pharmacy job, and tutor organic chemistry on the side for 10 hours a week because I don't like to be bored.

Ultimately, only you can make this decision, but the fact that you're already questioning whether or not you can do it makes me think that you've already made up in your mind you can't do it. Just run for the position if you are truly that interested in it. Worst comes to worst, you have to resign. At least you tried and now you know. Don't be afraid to test the waters.
 
In general, any kind of extracurricular activity, especially one in a leadership position will look good. Whether or not any individual evaluator of your CV will be impressed may vary widely. Beecause you are concerned about your busy schedule, I would recommend not doing an officer position, if your only reason is that it might look impressive.I would talk to a past holder of the officer & ask how much work the position will actually entail, especially how that work is spread out (maybe the bulk of the work is done just once a quarter, say--which might be good unless that falls when you have finals or something) That will help you to better evaluate how this position will work into your schedule.
 
In general, any kind of extracurricular activity, especially one in a leadership position will look good. Whether or not any individual evaluator of your CV will be impressed may vary widely. Beecause you are concerned about your busy schedule, I would recommend not doing an officer position, if your only reason is that it might look impressive.I would talk to a past holder of the officer & ask how much work the position will actually entail, especially how that work is spread out (maybe the bulk of the work is done just once a quarter, say--which might be good unless that falls when you have finals or something) That will help you to better evaluate how this position will work into your schedule.

Thanks for the good advice. The position making my CV look more impressive is not my only reason ofcourse. I've been wanting to get leadership experience, improve myself, and get more active and involved. I also like this organization and wouldn't mind it too much if it didn't look good but I just wanted to know if it would. I'm going to ask them if I can have the contact info of a past treasurer..
 
I'm probably not going to do it..the difficult thing is I spent all of high school content with not wanting to get involved. Now that I do, the coursework got so much more intense.
 
I'm not solely trying to improve my CV> Like I said before, I was not active in high school and now I want to be. I'm just trying to find out whether it will be worth it residency-wise for the future. I don't want to strain myself out just because I had an interest in the organization which doesn't mean much. TBH, this was a last minute opportunity that came up and I turned it down since I already took up other things that I wanted to do and I already think it'll be a little bit too much.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Once you get past the idea of doing these things to please other people, and instead decide that you want to do these things for yourself, you'll be able to take ownership of the things you choose to devote your time to. Once you make that choice, your involvement will be more convincing/actually give you something to talk about, which will be of more interest to any interviewer than something you did just to put on a piece of paper/please somebody.

Excitement is contagious. Would your rather talk to somebody who went through the motions because it was expected, or because they were truly excited about doing these things?

Choose things to do that you could fall in love with, and really like doing. Otherwise you'll never do these things for yourself.

Most solid advice in the thread. Do things because you love doing them. If you aren't sold on something naturally, you won't be able to sell anyone else on it when you're interviewing (well, unless you're a sociopath :idea: ). When you find what you love, it will show, everyone will know it, and you will work tirelessly at it. I'm as guilty as the next pharmacy student of trying to pad my CV, but I'm in a position now that while I am looking to the future, I'm doing things currently that have shifted my focus away from where I will be in the next few years as the present is enough for me.
 
The organization is Help Hope Humanity and I'm thinking about running for treasurer. I'm hoping I don't do too much and more importantly, something that won't count for anything when I apply for residency/fellowship.

There are quite a few kids I know in pharm involved with student senate and all. In fact, almost all my activities have no direct relationship to pharmacy except SnPhA. My personal belief is that you should diversify your extra-curricular activities and not make them solely restricted to pharmacy. Makes me think you can relate to all kinds of people, which is important in a pharmacy job. To each his own, really, but go for it 🙂
 
It's too late, the treasurer is already picked. I'm so confused with all of this extracurricular stuff..I want to do a lot but I obviously can't.
 
Treasurer is NOT leadership... nor is Secretary. Silly CV-padding pharmacy students.

100% disagree, obviously you have never created and maintained a budget and group finances. It certainly isn't a presidential role but for a fraternity, it absolutely is a leadership position.