Does being denied an away rotation harm your chances of matching?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

andydoc

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to do aways at a relatively well respected residency program in the midwest in a number of fields relating to IM (pulm, hem-onc, general, cardio). I was denied entry into any of the dates I selected, even though I applied very quickly after the VSAS opened. I was pretty surprised because I thought I was a very competitive applicant, especially for IM, I had a step score well above average for IM, H/HP all away rotations, research, volunteering, etc. I was wondering if this bodes poorly for my chances at matching at this program for residency, and if there are any common mistakes I could have made on my VSAS that would have hurt my chances.

Members don't see this ad.

The VSAS process is so shady, I wouldn't read into it too much. A lot of places take your money even though all of their spots are mostly/completely filled by other means. If I could do VSAS over again I would e-mail all the program coordinators directly expressing my interest. FWIW I got several interview invites from places that rejected my VSAS app.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This is an oldish post, but I was rejected through VSAS and then invited to a residency interview with a program.