Does being denied an away rotation harm your chances of matching?

Started by andydoc
Tags Tags
aways match
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

andydoc

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I applied to do aways at a relatively well respected residency program in the midwest in a number of fields relating to IM (pulm, hem-onc, general, cardio). I was denied entry into any of the dates I selected, even though I applied very quickly after the VSAS opened. I was pretty surprised because I thought I was a very competitive applicant, especially for IM, I had a step score well above average for IM, H/HP all away rotations, research, volunteering, etc. I was wondering if this bodes poorly for my chances at matching at this program for residency, and if there are any common mistakes I could have made on my VSAS that would have hurt my chances.
 
The VSAS process is so shady, I wouldn't read into it too much. A lot of places take your money even though all of their spots are mostly/completely filled by other means. If I could do VSAS over again I would e-mail all the program coordinators directly expressing my interest. FWIW I got several interview invites from places that rejected my VSAS app.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is an oldish post, but I was rejected through VSAS and then invited to a residency interview with a program.