Does being Egyptian count as African american??!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SheriefHussein

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok, so i was born and raised in Egypt and moved here when i was around 11,
now applying to dental schools, does that count as me being african american?! i mean egypt is in africa and i was born and raised there, still egyptian citizen matter of fact,
thanks everyone!!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

If the apps look like this:

White/Caucasian
Black/African American
Hispanic/Latino
Asian/Pacific Islander
Native American Indian
Other

You can't put African American unless you are physically black. If there isn't an "Other" category, you technically have to put Caucasian. It's ridiculous that there aren't more categories IMO.

Members don't see this ad :)
when you stand in front of a mirror is your reflection in black or white?

ok on the application the choices are:

American Indian or Alaska Native
Asian
Black or African-American
Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander
White

to me, i only see myself fitting in african american. and not all african americans are 'black' in color.... soooooooo idk and im confused :/

when you stand in front of a mirror is your reflection black or white?

honestly when i look in the mirror im brown tan lol.

You have to put "white" on the application. I know this is ridiculous that you don't have a choice but I am half arab and my cousins have to legally put "white" on their apps when they apply for anything.

when you stand in front of a mirror is your reflection black or white?

LOL.

It's technically your call. But I would put "other" and then specify.

If you put down that you're African American. It could be to your advantage since you would be an URM!!

^^ yeah thats what I actually had in mind :p
sorry this is my first time threading so im still getting used to it.

but I guess I will be calling several schools and see what they expect as races, so if i show up it wouldnt seem like I lied to them :/

but I had egyptian friends before applied as african american for scholarships and schools and gotten really great advantages so I was wondering if it works the same with dental applications.

Members don't see this ad :)
Certainly this isn't your first application you've ever filled out in life.

Put the same thing you've always put.

Reactions: 1 user
Just tell them your mom's black and your dad's egyptian, hence why you don't look "black." You're in the gray area anyway, so that white lie won't do too much injustice. No one's going to do a background check on your mom anyway.

Black, brown, tan, white, whatever. If you have the ability to be a dentist, pharmacist, doctor, etc., it doesn't matter what your skin color is.

Oh, you're right. I mean, why would they even ask then, right? Your race can make a HUGE difference in gaining admission whether you believe so or not.

Oh hey! Look what I found while reading the instructions for the application you are filling out, on the website you are using to apply:

White
A Person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa

Black or African American
A person having origins in any of the black racial groups of Africa

Or the search function.

LOL.

It's technically your call. But I would put "other" and then specify.

If you put down that you're African American. It could be to your advantage since you would be an URM!!

Oh, you're right. I mean, why would they even ask then, right? Your race can make a HUGE difference in gaining admission whether you believe so or not.

yes i agree. such a small question is making me reall confused on what I should put.

I think I will go ahead and apply as African american..... Wish me luck! :)
keep the comments coming!

yes i agree. such a small question is making me reall confused on what I should put.

Or you could read instructions and follow them properly and put white.

Oh hey! Look what I found while reading the instructions for the application you are filling out, on the website you are using to apply:

White
A Person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa

Black or African American
A person having origins in any of the black racial groups of Africa

Or the search function.

dang... my night is ruined haha jk
but thanks for the help, this definitely helps!!!

Wow! Hope interviewers smack your Fin head if/when they see you.

sorry, i take that back if you;re putting down white lol.

If you're old enough to be applying, you should know what your ethnicity is by now. The options aren't so ridiculously restrictive that it was totally throwing you for a spin. Were you hoping to compensate your application by suddenly claiming African American or Black?

And alas, the help screen answered it for you. Sorry. You're not black this time.

unfortunately habiby we are white! :(

no reason to be rude. go hope somewhere else.

Not trying to be rude. I'm an egyptian myself. If you're old enough to apply to dental schools, then I'm pretty sure you know the answer to this. Sorry you didn't find the loop hole you were looking for.

I wonder... if a white person tans really dark... can they put African American in AADSAS?

i thought this post already existed? sherief my brothaa if ur egyptian u whiteee man, we be white ppl. we be whiteeeee.
i get wat ur sayin tho that youre not technically "white" ie ur brown cause u spend some time in the egyptian sun without ur spf....but on paper you're white. :thumbup:

i thought this post already existed? sherief my brothaa if ur egyptian u whiteee man, we be white ppl. we be whiteeeee.
i get wat ur sayin tho that youre not technically "white" ie ur brown cause u spend some time in the egyptian sun without ur spf....but on paper you're white. :thumbup:

haha cant get away from egyptian sun :p
but alright, thanks everyone!

i feel like this is an episode of Dave Chappell's race draft lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUSAoXlS2YE

Trust me, I know. ;)

But I already know how this thread is going to turn out, so I'm just going to grab my popcorn, relish a Mavs victory, and watch this show.

Last edited:
OP I know this is old, but I'm curious as to what you put! Did you get accepted?

OP I know this is old, but I'm curious as to what you put! Did you get accepted?

If you're white and from South Africa I bet they'd (wrongly) give you **** for putting African American on an application. Face it, we all know what they mean when they ask if you're AA, and Egyptian just isn't it

You remind me of a Filipino friend who tried putting that he was Latino on his aadsas. To be fair though, your case has slightly more merit.

Don't you feel this is passive aggressive toward black applicants to be "wishing" you were black to get easier admissions? Not sure this jives.

ok, so i was born and raised in Egypt and moved here when i was around 11,
now applying to dental schools, does that count as me being african american?! i mean egypt is in africa and i was born and raised there, still egyptian citizen matter of fact,
thanks everyone!!! :)
Hey Sherif :) I am an Egyptian too. I moved to the US when I was around 16. I refer to my self as white. I used to check African American until I realized that actually white includes people from North Africa, which includes Egyptians. So yeah, abyad abyad :) :)