Does Biochem fulfill Gen Chem Prereq?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gree

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm considering skipping the general chem sequence. Is biochem treated as general chem, O chem, or neither for the purpose of fulfilling the prereq?

Members don't see this ad.

Some school I've seen that will take biochem for second semester for ochem but def not gen chem....try inorganic for that if you are really that masochistic.

Just take the classes that are asked for.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't toy around with the basic 4 sequences. Take the gen chem sequence.

I've never seen any schools that let you skip general chem. I'm not sure why you'd want to skip it though. It lays the foundation for all other chemistry courses.

My school's premed office says you can use biochem to replace gen chem. It is, after all, an upper level chemistry course - and I've never heard of a medical school that doesn't allow someone to take an upper division course in lieu of a lower division course.

I'm using physical chemistry to replace a semester of gen chem.

I knew there'd be a lot of contradicting posts; I guess we have to wait for LizzyM or something.

I AP'ed out of general chem and my school won't let me retake. I could take two quarters of pretty useless honors chem but that still leaves one quarter unaccounted for.
So far I have heard the following:

- some schools allow biochem in lieu of O chem
- some schools allow biochem in lieu of general chem
- some claimed they got away with using biochem in lieu of general biology
- some schools have biochem prereq on top of general chem, O chem, and biology prereqs

Is there a single answer for all the University of California med schools?

There is no single answer for the UC's, but I can tell you this much:
UC Irvine requires Biochem on top of 3 quarters of gen chem.
UCLA accepts no AP credit whatsoever.