Does Counseling Psych. program matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Quickkicks

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I recently posted about a few mental health counseling graduate programs I am considering. The three programs are Boston University (Mental Health and Behavioral Medicine), Mass. School of Professional Psychology, and UMass Boston. Essentially, all 3 programs are to be eligible for licensure as a mental health counselor. However, the 3 programs have different philosophies and structure.

My question is, does the program you attend make a difference in terms of finding a good job after graduation? My impression is that the education for these types of programs are similar but the difference in cost is greater. I am favoring UMass Boston because it is more affordable, however it is not as presitgous as the other two programs.

Any comments appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Well I know UMass Boston offers graduate assistantships and I think BU does as well but it is much more competitive at BU to get one. This is one reason why UMass Boston is attractive.

Since they are graduate programs, most of them I believe do not offer graduate fellowships.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, just curious as to which program you chose! I am currently going for my M.S. in counseling psych. at SMU in Dallas, TX and LOVE it!

Hi, I recently posted about a few mental health counseling graduate programs I am considering. The three programs are Boston University (Mental Health and Behavioral Medicine), Mass. School of Professional Psychology, and UMass Boston. Essentially, all 3 programs are to be eligible for licensure as a mental health counselor. However, the 3 programs have different philosophies and structure.

My question is, does the program you attend make a difference in terms of finding a good job after graduation? My impression is that the education for these types of programs are similar but the difference in cost is greater. I am favoring UMass Boston because it is more affordable, however it is not as presitgous as the other two programs.

Any comments appreciated. Thanks.

I'd go with UMass Boston if I were you. I think it's more important what you learn (especially through your internship) and what connections you make and how you work with people and clients than which program you attended. It *might* make the difference in the first job you get in terms of your network, etc, but after that it's based on experience, I believe.

The main reason I suggest UMass over the other two is cost -- because you're not going to make a whole hell of a lot as a mental health counselor when you're done and it's not worth it to be that in debt. Getting a graduate assistantship is a great way to get someone else to pay for graduate school so you can focus on learning, and when you're done, you can focus on getting a job that meets your interest rather than one that just pays more so you can eat away at your loans. I know that in social work, employers only want to know that you went to an accredited program (there is an accrediting body for mental health counseling, I believe... I forget the initials) and how you did in your placement, not necessarily how well-ranked your school is.

Also, BU is notorious for not giving a lot of money in aid.

Good luck!!

Thanks for your suggestions. I did end up choosing UMass Boston for many of the reasons you suggested. Cost being one of the deciding factors. I am aware that counselors are not paid very well and I factored this into paying loans off in the future. If I were enrolling into a clinical psychology program, then I would have considered BU and MSPP more of a possibility but with mental health counseling programs, I believe they are structured similarly.

Thanks for the comments.

Wow, I'm a genius. Didn't even see the date on your original entry -- oops.

I'll be up north at Salem State doing my MSW.

Good luck in your program!!

PS. BU's clinical psych program is *really* competetive... Eeks. But at least it's fully funded.

Good luck to you to on your MSW. I don't think you can go wrong with an MSW. I've heard you have quite a bit more flexibility with that degree versus a counseling degree. Hope it goes well for you.

I do know the BU clinical psych. program is very competitive. Maybe I'd consider once I have my master's but I'm sure their enrollment is 5-6 students per year.

Take care.