Does CVS provide access to OARRS...anyone care?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ohiopharmacist

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just had someone try to fill fake Oxycontin 80s. She was too quick for the cops but anyways she was a new patient and was transferring from Walgreens. So red flags waiving right at my face,I called Walgreens who lets me know there is a arrest warrant for this lady.

Does CVS offer OARRS access,or are we just supposed to fill them and risk losing our license?! Is it somewhere on Rxnet, I have never seen a pharmacist in CVS use this helpful resource.

OARRS-Ohio Automated Rx Reporting System, databse for all the controlled drugs in case ppl were wondering what the heck it is
 
I just had someone try to fill fake Oxycontin 80s. She was too quick for the cops but anyways she was a new patient and was transferring from Walgreens. So red flags waiving right at my face,I called Walgreens who lets me know there is a arrest warrant for this lady.

Does CVS offer OARRS access,or are we just supposed to fill them and risk losing our license?! Is it somewhere on Rxnet, I have never seen a pharmacist in CVS use this helpful resource.

OARRS-Ohio Automated Rx Reporting System, databse for all the controlled drugs in case ppl were wondering what the heck it is

If Internet access is required, they probably don't permit it. If you are unfamiliar with the patient or the prescriber. You verify the RX. If it's legit, they will wait. If it's not they will run....
 
If Internet access is required, they probably don't permit it. If you are unfamiliar with the patient or the prescriber. You verify the RX. If it's legit, they will wait. If it's not they will run....

Playing cops decreases your script count, why would CVS want that? I don't think they give anyone access to a database like that unless the state demands it.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Playing cops decreases your script count, why would CVS want that? I don't think they give anyone access to a database like that unless the state demands it.

They don't allow Internet access for security reasons. As far as decreasing your script count. They don't care as long as you are not turning down legitimate rxs. It does not take long to verify an rx.....
 
They don't allow Internet access for security reasons. As far as decreasing your script count. They don't care as long as you are not turning down legitimate rxs. It does not take long to verify an rx.....

Because their computer systems suck ass. I remember one time I got written up at CVS for plugging my iPod touch into the computer via the USB to charge it. At Costco, the system is pretty damn secure, they let us go on the internet, plug w/e we want into charge, etc.
 
Because their computer systems suck ass. I remember one time I got written up at CVS for plugging my iPod touch into the computer via the USB to charge it. At Costco, the system is pretty damn secure, they let us go on the internet, plug w/e we want into charge, etc.

Because they DO NOT want to expose their system to anything that could compromise their data.
 
Because their computer systems suck ass. I remember one time I got written up at CVS for plugging my iPod touch into the computer via the USB to charge it. At Costco, the system is pretty damn secure, they let us go on the internet, plug w/e we want into charge, etc.

Take an iPod touch, hack its OS, use it as a portable USB drive, and guess what? You've got hundreds of thousands of patients information in the palm of your hand! That definitely deserves a write up.
 
Take an iPod touch, hack its OS, use it as a portable USB drive, and guess what? You've got hundreds of thousands of patients information in the palm of your hand! That definitely deserves a write up.

Hey if Sparda needs to charge his iPod because the battery will not last for a full work day of listening to his music he should be able to do so. Also if his cell phone is going died he should go ahead and charge that baby up as well. Or just use the store's phone.
 
Take an iPod touch, hack its OS, use it as a portable USB drive, and guess what? You've got hundreds of thousands of patients information in the palm of your hand! That definitely deserves a write up.

That's the thing, this computer here will not allow me to simply drag and drop information into my iPod touch. All it does, is provide power to recharge the battery. We're also allowed to use our cell phone on the job, text message, we even have our own iPod docking station where we blast heavy metal and no one says anything.

Hell, at CVS, we were told that we even couldn't bring in a charger to plug into the wall outlets.
 
They don't allow Internet access for security reasons. As far as decreasing your script count. They don't care as long as you are not turning down legitimate rxs. It does not take long to verify an rx.....

Um... They already allow limited access to certain state and federal websites. How is a state run read only database any different?
 
Um... They already allow limited access to certain state and federal websites. How is a state run read only database any different?

I don't know if they allow access or they have a mirrored site set up on their server. It also could be they haven't gotten around to it yet.
 
Do they participate by uploading their data to OARRS? I would say if they are contributing to the database, there is probably a way to access it. I know I've heard people that work at Walgreen's say they've used it..just not sure about CVS.
 
We have access to it at Walgreens, and I have always found it quite surprising since every pharmacy supervisor I have known has always frowned upon any questioning of the validity of any prescriptions.
 
We have access to it at Walgreens, and I have always found it quite surprising since every pharmacy supervisor I have known has always frowned upon any questioning of the validity of any prescriptions.

If you are filling for the generic... yeah - that is a lot of money walking out the door.

any for profit business would frown upon such an action.
 
Thank you guys for your replies. CVS DOES provide access to OAARS,its under state references on Rxnet for people who work at CVS.
I feel safe now cos we get hell load of CII everyday.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad