Does double major help admission?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gogogirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I am thinking about getting a biology major in addition to my chemistry major during my gap year since I am not doing anything...
Does it help? what is your position on this?:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Don't think it'll make that much of a difference. If I were you, I'd use that year to do some really interesting community service and get a job.

No. GPA and MCAT are far more important than what major(s) you choose. The ADCOMs are not interested in how you made a mediocre GPA because you double majored or majored on the hardest major in the school. Take your core classes, major on something that interests you, and do well on the MCAT. That in addition to your extra curriculars will make you a good applicant.

Members don't see this ad :)
It doesn't help unless it improves your GPA or gives you something to talk about in an interview.

It will help you stand out from the rest of the applicants, but only if you have a good GPA, MCAT, ECs. I majored in chemistry and microbiology and minored in biomedical physics. I made it a point in all my essays to write about how I challenged myself academically by pursuing two majors at the same time while maintaining a good GPA, MCAT, ECs and how I was able to learn a lot about medicine from pursuing these two degrees. As a result, I have been accepted to all the schools that I have interviewed at so far.

Last edited:
It doesn't help unless it improves your GPA or gives you something to talk about in an interview.

I'm getting two minors (both in the humanities) + Biology Major...at multiple interviews we ended up talking about these and their connection to medicine, what they can add, and just more generally why I enjoy them so much...Its always a good talking point, but I don't know if a double science would have led to the same conversation...

do what you love-get a good gpa!

As a result, I have been accepted to all the schools that I have interviewed at so far.

Not quite sure if you can know this, unless the school told you that this is the reason you got in. You may have gotten in anyway.

The admissions director I spoke to said that students should do whatever makes them happy and to learn stuff that you want to learn, don't do stuff because you think it looks good for med school. If you're double majoring because you want to learn that stuff, Great! If you're double majoring because you think it looks good for med school and at the same time you're miserable, then obviously that doesn't make too much sense. Enjoy your life, don't make it unnecessarily harder on yourself.

As ElegantWisdom pointed out, it can create an interesting talking point, but chem and bio are both so common that there isn't likely anything interesting to say about it. Combine what you need to get into med school with something you'll really enjoy (whether it be intellectual or just plain enjoyable) as you won't have much time for pure fun once you're in med school

I'm sure it will help; however, I'm also pretty sure there are much better things you can do with your time. It probably won't be worth as much work as you will have to put into it, so instead I recommend you do things you enjoy while still trying to do things that count as extracurricular activities. Double-major = not worth it.

Hi All

I am thinking about getting a biology major in addition to my chemistry major during my gap year since I am not doing anything...
Does it help? what is your position on this?:confused:

Since it seems like you only want a 2nd major because you are taking time off, I would say save your tuition money and pursue a full-time activity like doing research or something.