Does EMT training count for GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thewendster

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've noticed several companies and colleges offering EMT classes like this one at UCLA http://www.cpc.mednet.ucla.edu/SRRS/Programs/ProgramDetailUser.aspx?ProgramID=20

do you guys know if this will count towards my GPA?

Thanks!

All post-secondary work must be listed on the AMCAS and all undergraduate work is calculated into the undergraduate GPA. If these EMT courses are undergraduate courses for credit, then, yes. If they don't count as undergraduate classes for credit, then, no. I haven't been able to determine this by examination of the website. I suggest contacting them and asking.

Members don't see this ad :)
On a personal note, I took my EMT classes through a local community college, which offered everything at the undergraduate level, for credit. I obtained 7 semester credits for the regular classes and also took 1 pass-fail class to complete the letter of recognition program. Fairly easy A's, the lot of them. :)

They wonts count into you BCMP though but your overall undergrad GPA...

FYi Dudes, UCLA will offer 7 credits for the class. Apparently someone comes around when class starts and asks who wants to take it for credit. Those of us suckers who do have to shell out another $35.

FYi Dudes, UCLA will offer 7 credits for the class. Apparently someone comes around when class starts and asks who wants to take it for credit. Those of us suckers who do have to shell out another $35.

Well, it least it'll be worth the extra money, I think. The relatively easy A's will surely raise your overall undergraduate GPA. ;)

If you dont plan on using the training I would say dont bother, there are other classes out there that you can get A's in. I say this because I teach at a Local CC EMT and it is by no means an easy class, while if you are used to taking Organic ans such you will find it easier,but we start with about 60 and usually finish about 40 or so. You do have to study a bit, but there is also a a ride time and Er rotation portion of the class. Here in Florida the course is 350 hours of time....

If you dont plan on using the training I would say dont bother, there are other classes out there that you can get A's in. I say this because I teach at a Local CC EMT and it is by no means an easy class, while if you are used to taking Organic ans such you will find it easier,but we start with about 60 and usually finish about 40 or so. You do have to study a bit, but there is also a a ride time and Er rotation portion of the class. Here in Florida the course is 350 hours of time....

Yeah, I found the experience to be time consuming and it had it's unique challenges; it wasn't easy in the sense that you had to do no work. On the contrary, as mentioned above. The numerous practicals were awesome training, IMO. I got worked on each and every one.

Now, as I am standing on the verge of entering medical school, I think this experience plus my time riding will certainly benefit me during the clinical aspects of my medical training. I learned how to respond quickly in very stressful situations. I learned a little about how to make clinical judgments. In my limited field work, I worked with actual patients and know that they are sometimes very smelly, sometimes resist your attempts to help them, and are often very scared; I learned how to be their advocate. You learn how to talk to and empathize with patients (and family/friends) and how to get a basic history, even in very chaotic situations. There tends to be a lot of chaos in the field and a lot of nervous energy; it's as if everyone is talking at once. You need to be able to come from a centered place and help everyone calm down, in addition to assessing the patient, getting vitals, and performing the appropriate intervention. Anyway, I digress.

My previous comments not withstanding, I basically agree that it isn't of much benefit if you don't actually put your cert to use. On the other hand, I thoroughly enjoyed my time riding on the ambulance (albeit limited). I think it's most definitely worth it if you want to continue riding emergency calls, as the clinical experience is very good. You'll see a lot of stuff. Yeah. I'll just leave it at that. :laugh:

I would be putting it to use.. it would be my sole source of income while i do an unofficial post-bac on my own. For those of you who have worked in the field, can you give me an idea of the job market? hours? pay? I would be working in southern cali.

thanks!

I would be putting it to use.. it would be my sole source of income while i do an unofficial post-bac on my own. For those of you who have worked in the field, can you give me an idea of the job market? hours? pay? I would be working in southern cali.

thanks!

I can only speak from my experience with my own state (EMS varies greatly among states).

There were essentially two categories in my state for responding to emergency calls (9-1-1): EMS volunteer at a fire station/rescue squad, or fire fighter/EMS cadet (you are trained at the fire academy like the police train at the police academy). The commercial ambulance companies are routinely involved in transports between hospitals and from home to hospital, but never involved in emergency calls (read: mostly boring). The real interesting work, in my opinion, is in riding 9-1-1 calls; you get premium exposure responding to those kinds of calls. I'm sure some people will differ with me on that. Commercial companies generally require some experience, so you may need to volunteer some first, anyway, if you don't choose to go the route of the academy. In any case, EMT-B's don't make squat from where I live; it's barely a living and can be hard work, if you don't love it. In some states, you can use your EMT-B credential to do hospital work. That's one avenue worth checking out. EMS volunteers generally work one 12-hour shift per week, although there is the opportunity to ride more often, if you want.

Again, don't know about SoCal. There may be more opportunities to ride emergency calls than in my state. Hopefully, you'll get some SoCal EMT's responding to your post! Good luck! :luck: