Does everyone get recruitment emails from schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HawaiiHereICome

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does everyone get recruitment emails from schools they didn't apply to?

I'm just curious if it is anything significant, ie. I should add them to my school list on AMCAS.

Members don't see this ad.

Its Duke, some other school I haven't heard of, Ohio something or other, and another school in the midwest. The only one I've heard of is duke. They're all real medical schools though.

But if everyone with a high MCAT is getting these recruitment letters then I'm not going to bother, I already have enough on my list.

Members don't see this ad :)
I decided to apply to two additional schools after being sent a recruitment email from both and... I got a pretty quick interview invite from both! Not exactly sure if I got lucky but I'm sure glad I received those emails because I wouldn't of applied to them if I hadn't.

I decided to apply to two additional schools after being sent a recruitment email from both and... I got a pretty quick interview invite from both! Not exactly sure if I got lucky but I'm sure glad I received those emails because I wouldn't of applied to them if I hadn't.

Exactly what I needed.

Thanks!

Schools Added.

I think some are automatically triggered by the MCAT score. I have gotten several and they have all been for MSTP programs. I never applied to anything but MD, and don't have a strong enough research background to warrant applying for anyone's MSTP program. So there is really no point in applying despite their offers. If someone had sent me an MD offer however, you bet I would have applied. Although I did get one from Duke-NUS which I had never heard of before their e-mail. Can't really picture myself in Singapore although it probably would be the adventure of a lifetime.

I think some are automatically triggered by the MCAT score. I have gotten several and they have all been for MSTP programs. I never applied to anything but MD, and don't have a strong enough research background to warrant applying for anyone's MSTP program. So there is really no point in applying despite their offers. If someone had sent me an MD offer however, you bet I would have applied. Although I did get one from Duke-NUS which I had never heard of before their e-mail. Can't really picture myself in Singapore although it probably would be the adventure of a lifetime.

I got that one from Duke too, but I did get 2 regular MD emails which I thought was odd. Well lets see what happens anyways.

I got that one from Duke too, but I did get 2 regular MD emails which I thought was odd. Well lets see what happens anyways.

Pretty cool. Be sure to add to this thread if you get those 2 MD interviews. And if you decide to follow up on that Singapore offer (I probably won't). Good luck!

Names?

Got another one from a DO school which apparently has been sitting in my spam folder for a week.

Hmmm, last year I got several emails and postal mail letters from more than one podiatry school, one anesthesiology assistant program, and one MD/PHD program.

Since I didn't take the MCAT again this year, the only recruiting type letters/emails I continue to get are from the US Army.

I would have thought these are the programs that recruit crummy MCAT scorers but the one MD/PHD program threw me. :shrug:

I am kinda interested in the Duke programme. What is the MCAT score that will trigger the invitation email?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got recruitment letters from Wash U and U Mich, and applied to both. I got put on hold at Michigan and haven't heard anything from Wash U. For what it's worth, though, I wasn't complete until about mid-September. I am also lacking significant research and leadership activities. But I guess it can't hurt to give it a shot, unless you have some financial constraints.

You realize of course that it means nothing except that they like your MCAT?

It isn't that they like YOU, that will depend on your whole app.

So if the school was a reach for you, it is still a reach for you after the email!!

Act accordingly. (And Duke's secondary is a bitch.)

You realize of course that it means nothing except that they like your MCAT?

It isn't that they like YOU, that will depend on your whole app.

So if the school was a reach for you, it is still a reach for you after the email!!

Act accordingly. (And Duke's secondary is a bitch.)

Sometimes they don't even like your MCAT, they just like the wallet attached to you. They know every person they get to apply is worth $100 bucks to them in application fees.I got quite a few recruiting but didn't bother to apply to even one. Glad I didn't, I chose not to apply to those schools in the first place for a reason.

An example of how absurd some of the recruiting stuff is: I completed a secondary in late June for a school. In September I received a recruiting packet from them. Hey geniuses why don't you cross check your MCAT score list with your received applications. My point? They really just want your money. Sure they probably like your MCAT too but your money is what really motivates them.

I've heard of people getting recruitment e-mails AFTER being rejected by that school! Can you imagine how infuriating that would be?

If I were a med school marketing guy, I would send emails to every damn person I could get a hold of regardless of their stats 45T or 15N.

Give everyone a hope and reason to apply. Collect primary fee. Profit.

Simple business.

this might just be true. admissions is expensive to run, and the secondary fees of all the rejected people subsize the interview days and the overhead necessary to process the rest.

it surprises me actually that more schools aren't exploiting the fact that increasing their secondary fee has a negligible effect on application volume. Dartmouth's fee went from $85 last year to I believe $130 (?) this year (College-wide budget cuts) Do you think their app volume went down? I sincerely doubt it.

What's impressively wasteful though, isn't the emails. admissions spam costs nothing to send out. It's when you get full-on 11.5"x9" manila envelopes (the kind that cost like a dollar to send) from schools at which you just have no shot b/c of horrible fit. CCLCM, I'm talking to you :p

this might just be true. admissions is expensive to run, and the secondary fees of all the rejected people subsize the interview days and the overhead necessary to process the rest.

it surprises me actually that more schools aren't exploiting the fact that increasing their secondary fee has a negligible effect on application volume. Dartmouth's fee went from $85 last year to I believe $130 (?) this year (College-wide budget cuts) Do you think their app volume went down? I sincerely doubt it.

What's impressively wasteful though, isn't the emails. admissions spam costs nothing to send out. It's when you get full-on 11.5"x9" manila envelopes (the kind that cost like a dollar to send) from schools at which you just have no shot b/c of horrible fit. CCLCM, I'm talking to you :p

That's the ones I don't understand. The school I talked about that sent me one after I already applied was one of those. What a waste.

I think these schools profit off applications though. I don't think they are simply covering expenses. Schools that do that have a price around $35 (Washington) not $130 like Georgetown may indeed be covering costs. But schools like Georgetown, I'm sorry they are making a profit. Georgetown gets more than 10,000 applicants. That means over $1.3 million a year in application fees. I'm sorry but even including the costs of interviews it just doesn't make sense that it comes close to over a million dollars. It's called profit.

But hey I would pay $150 to apply to most schools because I want it that bad.

Yeah I'm also curious about what MCAT scores you guys who've gotten these emails have. (HawaiiHereICome, I'm looking at you). I haven't taken the MCAT yet, but I'm liking the thought of getting some recruitment stuff when I do! It'll flatter my ego at least - even if I don't have a shot in hell of getting in.

Yeah I'm also curious about what MCAT scores you guys who've gotten these emails have. (HawaiiHereICome, I'm looking at you). I haven't taken the MCAT yet, but I'm liking the thought of getting some recruitment stuff when I do! It'll flatter my ego at least - even if I don't have a shot in hell of getting in.

Honestly the recruitment stuff means nothing. It is completely insincere. They seriously just want your money. It isn't like you are a star quarterback they are trying to bring on for football so they are trying to sway you their way. If they were really recruiting you in that nature they would ask you to apply and then wave the fee. They don't. I even have received some from podiatry schools. But if you are curious my MCAT is a 39. You should know in terms of receiving recruiting material that really means nothing, my friend got a 24 and has received nearly all the same recruiting material I have. So just take the MCAT and you will get some recruiting if you want it. If I could go back to the day I took my MCAT I wouldn't check that little box that lets them know they can contact me.

Honestly the recruitment stuff means nothing. It is completely insincere. They seriously just want your money. It isn't like you are a star quarterback they are trying to bring on for football so they are trying to sway you their way. If they were really recruiting you in that nature they would ask you to apply and then wave the fee. They don't. I even have received some from podiatry schools. But if you are curious my MCAT is a 39. You should know in terms of receiving recruiting material that really means nothing, my friend got a 24 and has received nearly all the same recruiting material I have. So just take the MCAT and you will get some recruiting if you want it. If I could go back to the day I took my MCAT I wouldn't check that little box that lets them know they can contact me.

When I took the MCAT, I didn't elect to release my scores to schools. Thus, I got no recruiting junk mail or spam, except from the military programs (I assume they play by their own rules when it comes to privacy.) I got a 34, so it's not like I'm pitiful enough for all schools to otherwise ignore me.

If you see something you like in the advertisements they send you, then by all means go ahead and apply to their schools.

When I took the MCAT, I didn't elect to release my scores to schools. Thus, I got no recruiting junk mail or spam, except from the military programs (I assume they play by their own rules when it comes to privacy.) I got a 34, so it's not like I'm pitiful enough for all schools to otherwise ignore me.

If you see something you like in the advertisements they send you, then by all means go ahead and apply to their schools.

Had I known what I know now I would have done as you did. I commend you :). If the schools were sincere it wouldn't bother me... but they are not.

Ok. Good point. I don't want to give anyone my money if I don't have a decent shot. I don't have that sort of cash to throw around!