Recruitment and Leverage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mikiras

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have been extremely fortunate in securing a number of acceptances this cycle. One of the schools that has accepted me has offered a generous 80% tuition scholarship. I know the question of "how to leverage?" has been asked a billion times but I don't want to screw up by saying the wrong things.

Another school I've been accepted to for a few months just called me. The dean of admissions wanted to check in and said she was actively trying to recruit me to her school. I missed the call because of work but her voicemail invited me to call back with any questions or concerns about making my final decision. She stressed how impressed they were by me and I feel honored, but is that a situation that is open to me leveraging for more aid?

Do I tell her about the other school and scholarship and how important aid is to my decision? Do I name drop the school?
Freaking out.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone,

I have been extremely fortunate in securing a number of acceptances this cycle. One of the schools that has accepted me has offered a generous 80% tuition scholarship. I know the question of "how to leverage?" has been asked a billion times but I don't want to screw up by saying the wrong things.

Another school I've been accepted to for a few months just called me. The dean of admissions wanted to check in and said she was actively trying to recruit me to her school. I missed the call because of work but her voicemail invited me to call back with any questions or concerns about making my final decision. She stressed how impressed they were by me and I feel honored, but is that a situation that is open to me leveraging for more aid?

Do I tell her about the other school and scholarship and how important aid is to my decision? Do I name drop the school?
Freaking out.
YES!!!! But only if you actually prefer this school over the one where you have the scholarship.

Once you get past being flattered, if the money won't make a difference, don't waste her time. But, if it would, you're in the perfect position, because you already have an offer, and a dean flat out telling you that you are being recruited. Congratulations!!!

Reactions: 1 user
YES!!!! But only if you actually prefer this school over the one where you have the scholarship.

Once you get past being flattered, if the money won't make a difference, don't waste her time. But, if it would, you're in the perfect position, because you already have an offer, and a dean flat out telling you that you are being recruited. Congratulations!!!
I definitely do like the second school more. Both schools are equally ranked and are very identical. But I prefer the location of the second school due to proximity to family. Now if only I can stop playing phone tag with the dean and figure out what to say.

Members don't see this ad :)
I definitely do like the second school more. Both schools are equally ranked and are very identical. But I prefer the location of the second school due to proximity to family. Now if only I can stop playing phone tag with the dean and figure out what to say.
Tell her how thrilled you are to have so many excellent choices, and how excited you were to receive her call. Proceed to tell her why you prefer her school over the other one (no reason not to name names -- I think it adds credibility!), and that money is an obvious concern for you.

Tell her about your offer, and let her respond. Either she has a budget to throw money at people like you, or she doesn't. They are definitely targeting you, but that's not a guarantee they will match. Just lay your cards on the table and see what happens.

You can't "screw anything up," because she initiated the conversation. Worst case, she'll tell you how much they want you, but they have no money. Most likely outcome is that you'll get something, but not 80%, and then you'll have a choice to make.

Of course, with multiple As already, with maybe more to come, you'll have lots of opportunities to play this game before the dust settles, but I gave you the basic outline to use at all schools. Just don't think it will work at a T20 if your 80% is from a T50 or T100, although, ironically, the higher ranked schools tend to have more money available to throw at applicants! Again, congratulations, and good luck!!! I only pray I am in your shoes in a few months.

Tha
Tell her how thrilled you are to have so many excellent choices, and how excited you were to receive her call. Proceed to tell her why you prefer her school over the other one (no reason not to name names -- I think it adds credibility!), and that money is an obvious concern for you.

Tell her about your offer, and let her respond. Either she has a budget to throw money at people like you, or she doesn't. They are definitely targeting you, but that's not a guarantee they will match. Just lay your cards on the table and see what happens.

You can't "screw anything up," because she initiated the conversation. Worst case, she'll tell you how much they want you, but they have no money. Most likely outcome is that you'll get something, but not 80%, and then you'll have a choice to make.

Of course, with multiple As already, with maybe more to come, you'll have lots of opportunities to play this game before the dust settles, but I gave you the basic outline to use at all schools. Just don't think it will work at a T20 if your 80% is from a T50 or T100, although, ironically, the higher ranked schools tend to have more money available to throw at applicants! Again, congratulations, and good luck!!! I only pray I am in your shoes in a few months.
Thank you for the detailed response! I definitely realize I'm in a lucky position and just want to make the most of the good fortune.

Mikiras - congratulations either way! Just curious, was the 80% tuition scholarship based on merit or financial need?

Mikiras - congratulations either way! Just curious, was the 80% tuition scholarship based on merit or financial need?
It was merit/diversity based. I hadn't submitted the fafsa at that point