Does getting a B+ actually hurt your chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RaistlinMajere

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got a B+ in one of my science classes. Isn't it crazy that a B+ pulls down your GPA. Especially, when the class wasn't scaled so that a 90%+ was required for an A-.

I'm sure most people on this forum can relate, but doesn't this just seem wrong?

Members don't see this ad.

RaistlinMajere said:
I just got a B+ in one of my science classes. Isn't it crazy that a B+ pulls down your GPA. Especially, when the class wasn't scaled so that a 90%+ was required for an A-.

I'm sure most people on this forum can relate, but doesn't this just seem wrong?

Yes, I'm the first to flame!

Quit whining!

I don't mean to whine (much), but it's frustrating. The B+ works out to a below average GPA grade (3.3) for accepted med students. I've gotten grades worse than this believe me, but it's disappointing to feel like you've earned a better grade only to find out that you spun your wheels all semester.

Members don't see this ad :)
what gets to me is in my cell bio class, i had an 88 average. the cut off for an A- was an 89. What did i get? B+. that one point kills me more than my gpa coming down. it's like, what could i have done to get one extra stinking point? and why couldn't she have given me the benefit of the doubt for that one point? huh? why?

Exactly, my avg in this biochem class was an 89%. Is the prof joking? An 89% is a B+? The professor is a rookie, so maybe that has something to do with it.

In the long run a B+ wont hurt you. Heck, a few B+'s wont hurt you. I even got a B- in a math course my freshman year (who in the heck told me to take advanced theoretical calc my freshman year! idiot!). But by the incredible powers of averaging your GPA will be brought up and it will all be OK again.

RaistlinMajere said:
Is the prof joking? An 89% is a B+? .

the person that was caught for driving at the age of 15 years and 364 days asked the same question. There has to be a cut off for everything in life; if you had a 90 id say you dont deserve that A- since you are so close to the border. The prof is not a rookie for doing this, im surprised you would say that.

The professor is a rookie because it is the first year they have taught the course. That is what I meant.

Okay, I'm over it. All I can do is focus on my next class. Thanks for letting me rant though.

I had an 89% in a class and got a solid B for it. The cutoff for an A was a 90%. Accept it and move on to the next challenge.

RaistlinMajere said:

Saracasm

Last edited:
Skoaner, I think you're missing my original point. Getting a B+ actually hurts your chances to get into school. I'm not freaking out or anything. Just stating a fact that, when I thought about it, seemed ridiculous.

As I stated in a prior post, I'm over it. No need to keep flaming me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel you, I was Mr. Gray area and never had the ball bounce in my favor. Best of luck later.

Last edited:
i would have sold my kidneys on ebay for a B+ in either semester of organic chem....fortunately, my C+'s still got me into my top choice medschool. ;)

RaistlinMajere said:
Getting a B+ actually hurts your chances to get into school.

No, it absolutely does not. That's ridiculous. Everyone makes B's, and sometimes even :eek: C's :eek:. If you are a super genious, as you seem to think you are, then you will ace the MCAT so you will have nothing to worry about.

bigbassinbob said:
No, it absolutely does not. That's ridiculous. Everyone makes B's, and sometimes even :eek: C's :eek:. If you are a super genious, as you seem to think you are, then you will ace the MCAT so you will have nothing to worry about.

I agree. Almost everyone has missed getting a better grade by a few points somewhere along the line, so you won't get much sympathy here. The professor had to draw the line somewhere, and you unfortunately were on the wrong side of it; if he drew the line one person over, the next person would be a point away and be pissed. If your credentials are such that the difference between an A- and a B+ in one class is going to be the difference between getting in or not, you are probably not as close to competitive as you think. All you can do is use the B+ as motivation to work even harder in the next course you take.

Shut up. No disrespect...actually, yes, a lot of disrespect. Shut up.

Do a search at mdapplicants.com and check out the schools you're interested in. I guarantee you that NOT everyone who got in had a GPA in the 3.8-4.0 range and I'd go so far as to wager that even some people with those stellar grades DID NOT get in.

Good grades do not automatically make a good doctor.

Good luck coming to terms with that B+.

i totally can't sympathize at all about a B+.....i'm sure you're in good company for finding some worriers here though!

"When I was insolent, I was placed in a burlap sack and beaten with reeds" - Dr. Evil

A "B+"?! Give me a break! If you have done well in your other science classes, a "B+" will be little more than a spot. Besides, a lower grade here or there lends legitimacy to your program. :D

You are fine. Grades are not all that schools look at. I have an incomplete in chemistry and a withdraw from biology. Both of which I took again. They average in as F. I have been accepted to some top medical schools. At least some of the schools look beyond a B+.

Mr. Darcy said:
You are fine. Grades are not all that schools look at. I have an incomplete in chemistry and a withdraw from biology. Both of which I took again. They average in as F. I have been accepted to some top medical schools. At least some of the schools look beyond a B+.

Withdraw counts as a F? :eek:

It was never my intention to create an outcry, but it appears I overreacted based on the responses. The reason stems mainly from a difficult freshman year that I had. I need as many A's as possible to boost the ole GPA. But it's not the end of the world it's one grade, and yes, I've come to terms with the B+, which we all know is a fine grade. It's no A-, but somehow, I'll carry on.

sorry guys... it is all over now... Good luck!!!

lol j/k ... I really doubt W = F... you will probably just have to explain why you ran from a class... :D