• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Does getting a B+ actually hurt your chances?

RaistlinMajere

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2004
Boston
  1. Medical Student
    I just got a B+ in one of my science classes. Isn't it crazy that a B+ pulls down your GPA. Especially, when the class wasn't scaled so that a 90%+ was required for an A-.

I'm sure most people on this forum can relate, but doesn't this just seem wrong?

Will Ferrell

10+ Year Member
    5+ Year Member
    Jul 19, 2004
      RaistlinMajere said:
      I just got a B+ in one of my science classes. Isn't it crazy that a B+ pulls down your GPA. Especially, when the class wasn't scaled so that a 90%+ was required for an A-.

I'm sure most people on this forum can relate, but doesn't this just seem wrong?

Yes, I'm the first to flame!

Quit whining!

RaistlinMajere

10+ Year Member
      7+ Year Member
      Jul 18, 2004
      Boston
      1. Medical Student
        I don't mean to whine (much), but it's frustrating. The B+ works out to a below average GPA grade (3.3) for accepted med students. I've gotten grades worse than this believe me, but it's disappointing to feel like you've earned a better grade only to find out that you spun your wheels all semester.

About the Ads

musiclink213

My room is a mess
        7+ Year Member
        15+ Year Member
        Oct 20, 2003
        New York
        1. Medical Student
          what gets to me is in my cell bio class, i had an 88 average. the cut off for an A- was an 89. What did i get? B+. that one point kills me more than my gpa coming down. it's like, what could i have done to get one extra stinking point? and why couldn't she have given me the benefit of the doubt for that one point? huh? why?

ellia08

Medicine + Math = Awesome
          10+ Year Member
          5+ Year Member
          Oct 17, 2004
          the lab! yay!
          1. Medical Student
            In the long run a B+ wont hurt you. Heck, a few B+'s wont hurt you. I even got a B- in a math course my freshman year (who in the heck told me to take advanced theoretical calc my freshman year! idiot!). But by the incredible powers of averaging your GPA will be brought up and it will all be OK again.

Haybrant

1K Member
            15+ Year Member
            Jul 6, 2004
              RaistlinMajere said:
              Is the prof joking? An 89% is a B+? .

the person that was caught for driving at the age of 15 years and 364 days asked the same question. There has to be a cut off for everything in life; if you had a 90 id say you dont deserve that A- since you are so close to the border. The prof is not a rookie for doing this, im surprised you would say that.

RaistlinMajere

10+ Year Member
              7+ Year Member
              Jul 18, 2004
              Boston
              1. Medical Student
                The professor is a rookie because it is the first year they have taught the course. That is what I meant.

Okay, I'm over it. All I can do is focus on my next class. Thanks for letting me rant though.

skoaner

10+ Year Member
                5+ Year Member
                Sep 16, 2004
                  RaistlinMajere said:

Saracasm

Last edited:

RaistlinMajere

10+ Year Member
                  7+ Year Member
                  Jul 18, 2004
                  Boston
                  1. Medical Student
                    Skoaner, I think you're missing my original point. Getting a B+ actually hurts your chances to get into school. I'm not freaking out or anything. Just stating a fact that, when I thought about it, seemed ridiculous.

As I stated in a prior post, I'm over it. No need to keep flaming me.

About the Ads

bigbassinbob

10+ Year Member
                    5+ Year Member
                    Apr 20, 2004
                    1. Medical Student
                      RaistlinMajere said:
                      Getting a B+ actually hurts your chances to get into school.

No, it absolutely does not. That's ridiculous. Everyone makes B's, and sometimes even :eek: C's :eek:. If you are a super genious, as you seem to think you are, then you will ace the MCAT so you will have nothing to worry about.

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      10+ Year Member
                      Dec 20, 2004
                      1. Attending Physician
                        bigbassinbob said:
                        No, it absolutely does not. That's ridiculous. Everyone makes B's, and sometimes even :eek: C's :eek:. If you are a super genious, as you seem to think you are, then you will ace the MCAT so you will have nothing to worry about.

I agree. Almost everyone has missed getting a better grade by a few points somewhere along the line, so you won't get much sympathy here. The professor had to draw the line somewhere, and you unfortunately were on the wrong side of it; if he drew the line one person over, the next person would be a point away and be pissed. If your credentials are such that the difference between an A- and a B+ in one class is going to be the difference between getting in or not, you are probably not as close to competitive as you think. All you can do is use the B+ as motivation to work even harder in the next course you take.

HrsNJ

10+ Year Member
                        5+ Year Member
                        Jan 12, 2005
                        NJ
                          Do a search at mdapplicants.com and check out the schools you're interested in. I guarantee you that NOT everyone who got in had a GPA in the 3.8-4.0 range and I'd go so far as to wager that even some people with those stellar grades DID NOT get in.

Good grades do not automatically make a good doctor.

Good luck coming to terms with that B+.

eralza

10+ Year Member
                          5+ Year Member
                          Jun 2, 2004
                          Virginia
                          1. Medical Student
                            "When I was insolent, I was placed in a burlap sack and beaten with reeds" - Dr. Evil

A "B+"?! Give me a break! If you have done well in your other science classes, a "B+" will be little more than a spot. Besides, a lower grade here or there lends legitimacy to your program. :D

Mr. Darcy

10+ Year Member
                            5+ Year Member
                            Jan 18, 2005
                              You are fine. Grades are not all that schools look at. I have an incomplete in chemistry and a withdraw from biology. Both of which I took again. They average in as F. I have been accepted to some top medical schools. At least some of the schools look beyond a B+.

RedC5

10+ Year Member
                              15+ Year Member
                              Jan 21, 2004
                              NJ
                                Mr. Darcy said:
                                You are fine. Grades are not all that schools look at. I have an incomplete in chemistry and a withdraw from biology. Both of which I took again. They average in as F. I have been accepted to some top medical schools. At least some of the schools look beyond a B+.

Withdraw counts as a F? :eek:

RaistlinMajere

10+ Year Member
                                7+ Year Member
                                Jul 18, 2004
                                Boston
                                1. Medical Student
                                  It was never my intention to create an outcry, but it appears I overreacted based on the responses. The reason stems mainly from a difficult freshman year that I had. I need as many A's as possible to boost the ole GPA. But it's not the end of the world it's one grade, and yes, I've come to terms with the B+, which we all know is a fine grade. It's no A-, but somehow, I'll carry on.

About the Ads
                                  This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                                  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                                  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                                  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                  7. This thread is locked.