Does graduating with honors matter for dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

6gramrockbanger

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have a dilemma. I have recently been considering the pros and cons of remaining in the honors program at the large state university I attend. At this point, staying in the program would get me an insignificant amount of money and an honors degree, but I would have to devote a very large amount of time to doing a thesis. I already have about ~900 hours of research, so this seems excessive to me.
An added factor is that our associate dean hugely overreacted (imo) to me recently turning in a required form late and kicked me out of the honors program (I'm still enrolled at the university). Everyone I've talked to says they think it's just to prove an point and that they will let me back in pretty quickly, but it offers an easy out for me if I choose not to continue.
So what are your thoughts, SDN? Will it be worth the effort to obtain an honors degree, or do dental schools not take that very much into consideration?

Members don't see this ad.

plenty of people get into dschool without honors degrees. what makes you think you need one?

is it the tiger's blood?

Hahaha, that may be a factor. But I guess my question is not whether it is necessary to have honors, but whether it is helpful at all. I know I can probably get in somewhere, but will it ever make a difference at schools where I'm on the edge of being accepted?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hahaha, that may be a factor. But I guess my question is not whether it is necessary to have honors, but whether it is helpful at all. I know I can probably get in somewhere, but will it ever make a difference at schools where I'm on the edge of being accepted?

Only if being in the honors program somehow boosts your GPA. Otherwise, I don't think it matters. Best of luck man

They will care infinitely more about your research.

You don't need the designation on your degree. "Honors" is a great GPA and the research probably already is a +

My idea:

Earning Cum Laude or higher Latin honors on a regular diploma turns that diploma into honors! It is a huge honor to be awarded Latin honors upon graduation.

I think that a higher GPA and Latin honors means more to ADCOM's than an honors diploma which could have a lower GPA, and possibly lack Latin honors!

Just my $ 0.02

Thanks for the advice guys. Now I'm thinking I may just try to finish up my research to the point where the professor I work for is happy, and forget about the honors in favor of maintaining a high GPA and enjoying college.

Thanks for the advice guys. Now I'm thinking I may just try to finish up my research to the point where the professor I work for is happy, and forget about the honors in favor of maintaining a high GPA and enjoying college.

If everything else is in order, I wouldn't work myself to death for an honors diploma if it doesn't mean a lot to you. You have enough research to appease the schools that are into that anyway. Just focus on GPA and you'll be fine. Good luck with everything-- hope the applications go smoothly!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXRi28W-ENY[/YOUTUBE]

Best of the best of the best.... with honours..

I was in pretty much your exact same situation after my sophomore. I didn't find any of my honors classes that enjoyable, and found the extra work to be pointless and detrimental to my GPA. I don't know about your school but we received priority registration, which I found to be the biggest bonus. Once I had gotten to senior standing based on credit hours (AP credits/summer classes), I ended up dropping it because I didn't want to do the thesis or take anymore of the unemployable honors classes. I came to the same conclusion that everyone else did that I would rather spend my time on my GPA (went from a 3.35 to a 3.6 since then) and extracurriculars. I generally don't think its worth the time and effort.

I agree with one of the comments above. I graduated cum laude not taking honors and got in, but if you're lacking in other areas maybe it might help? Seems like the amount of research you have is more than enough though. Good luck!

PS. I'd spend more time studying for the DAT. It really does make or break you and you only need to work hard for a couple months compared to 4-5 years of school to maintain a stellar gpa.

im in the same dilemma. I have a 3.8 GPA and a 23 AA and i no longer want to be a part of the honors program bc i cant gradate early and it requires a thesis during the senior year which i have no interest in doing. how will dropping the honors college hurt me in the eyes of adcoms?

im in the same dilemma. I have a 3.8 GPA and a 23 AA and i no longer want to be a part of the honors program bc i cant gradate early and it requires a thesis during the senior year which i have no interest in doing. how will dropping the honors college hurt me in the eyes of adcoms?
this is an old thread buddy cmon.