Does having a major other than biology/chemistry affect your admission status?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biomajor1234

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My counselor told me that I should choose a different major other than biology and chemistry because 80 percent of applicants are going to be in that major. And only the TOP 10 percent with the highest GPA will be admitted. Diversely, if i major in something else, lets say business, then I will have a much better chance because I will be unique compared to the pool of applicants. And also,, I would have a higher gpa than being a science major. But, I'm I have been debating that If I take a major like business or sociology, wouldn't dental school look down at my major even though I would have say, a 3.5 gpa than if i was a biology major 3.2 gpa because it was much easier major than a science major. I would to hear from anyone who has major in anything else than biology or chemistry, and is it really true they accept only the top 10 percent of science major?

Members don't see this ad.

My counselor told me that I should choose a different major other than biology and chemistry because 80 percent of applicants are going to be in that major. And only the TOP 10 percent with the highest GPA will be admitted. Diversely, if i major in something else, lets say business, then I will have a much better chance because I will be unique compared to the pool of applicants. And also,, I would have a higher gpa than being a science major. But, I'm I have been debating that If I take a major like business or sociology, wouldn't dental school look down at my major even though I would have say, a 3.5 gpa than if i was a biology major 3.2 gpa because it was much easier major than a science major. I would to hear from anyone who has major in anything else than biology or chemistry, and is it really true they accept only the top 10 percent of science major?

Doc Toothache made a spreadsheet with some good info... check it out:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=701115&highlight=admission+by+major

I was a Spanish major.......was asked about it a few times actually. I don't recall where I saw but I once reviewed a spreadsheet of applicant's majors and those admitted. Bio/Chem predominate but they also predominate those accepted. From what I saw you get a pretty fair shot regardless of your major, you simply have to do well in whatever your focus is and definitely in the pre-reqs.

When you apply, they will look at your overall GPA and your science GPA. Honestly, it doesn't matter what you do your degree in, as long as you complete all the pre-req classes. The reason why so many people major in bio/chem is because you have to take a bunch of bio/chem classes to get into dental school, so why not major in it?

Also, for me it was better that I majored in bio to help my overall science GPA. I didn't do so hot in one of my intro bio courses, but I aced nearly every upper division class because I got to choose the topics in biology that interested me more.

Basically, major in what you like doing and what you can be successful in.