Does having a Masters help with having low GREs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brian1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if having a good Master's GPA and backround helps when applying to a Ph.D program with not-so-great GRE scores.

Anyone have any experience?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on how low the scores are. If it's under the school's cut-off, you'll likely go in the trash pile before they look at any other part of your application.

I am taking them in a month and have done massive studying and preparation. I expect to get around a 150 for each verbal and math. Hopefully I get more but I am being realistic.

Lots of schools I'm applying to say they have no cut off and no score result in an applications being thrown out.

Well, it wouldn't hurt to have a masters. But if you're not currently in a masters program (or even if you are) wouldn't it be simpler to prepare better and retake the GRE?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering if having a good Master's GPA and backround helps when applying to a Ph.D program with not-so-great GRE scores.

Anyone have any experience?

Take a look at the thread on Psychology GRE thread.

Well, it wouldn't hurt to have a masters. But if you're not currently in a masters program (or even if you are) wouldn't it be simpler to prepare better and retake the GRE?

That is what I am doing currently. I have been studying since April this year and I do understand more information this time around. I just worry about it because I have done a few practice verbal tests and I get around a 154 total which is I believe a 500 on the old scale.
On math I have no clue what I would get because everytime I try to do a timed section I realize I can not do it, get nervous, and just stop. I know more math than the first time I took the GRES though so I suppose that could help.

I have two past research experiences in which one I am a co-author on and which wil be presented at a conference. I will be starting my own research next month and it will also be presented at a conference next year.

That is what I am doing currently. I have been studying since April this year and I do understand more information this time around. I just worry about it because I have done a few practice verbal tests and I get around a 154 total which is I believe a 500 on the old scale.
On math I have no clue what I would get because everytime I try to do a timed section I realize I can not do it, get nervous, and just stop. I know more math than the first time I took the GRES though so I suppose that could help.

I have two past research experiences in which one I am a co-author on and which wil be presented at a conference. I will be starting my own research next month and it will also be presented at a conference next year.

You need a professional tutor who can teach you test-taking strategies. Learning the content of the GRE is not as hard as learning how to take the test.

I see a HUGE red flag when you say you are too nervous to complete practice math sections.

Fix that before you take the test.

You need a professional tutor who can teach you test-taking strategies. Learning the content of the GRE is not as hard as learning how to take the test.

I see a HUGE red flag when you say you are too nervous to complete practice math sections.

Fix that before you take the test.

Trust me, I am working on it lol. No time for a tutor now but I am taking a course on the GREs that will teach me everything. It is actually taught by a Cognitive Psychologist which I found kind of strange. I hope it works!

I'd wager that you can blame the tight academic job market for that one.

I was weary of it bc of that. The class seems to be a waste of money. All the professor does is tell us to do a list of problems without teaching them, then goes over them quickly unless we ask about the question in more detail.

At least my girlfriend has been a tremendous help in getting me to understand math. Thank god for her!

I was weary of it bc of that. The class seems to be a waste of money. All the professor does is tell us to do a list of problems without teaching them, then goes over them quickly unless we ask about the question in more detail.

At least my girlfriend has been a tremendous help in getting me to understand math. Thank god for her!

It's really unfortunate. Kaplan and such want teachers who scored exceptionally high on their own standardized tests, but that does not make them good teachers. In fact, sometimes the smartest people (or those with highest scores) out there don't really know what it is about their high performance that makes it so, and they don't know how to teach it. Probably just an easy lump of cash for them :rolleyes:.

I thought the online class that I took was helpful. At least it is the same for everyone (doesn't depend on the teacher) and mine focused heavily on the design on the test and how to take it. Mind you, it didn't change my overall score at all, or decrease my anxiety in any way, but it helped me to understand the test. That's worth something, right?!

It's really unfortunate. Kaplan and such want teachers who scored exceptionally high on their own standardized tests, but that does not make them good teachers. In fact, sometimes the smartest people (or those with highest scores) out there don't really know what it is about their high performance that makes it so, and they don't know how to teach it. Probably just an easy lump of cash for them :rolleyes:.

I thought the online class that I took was helpful. At least it is the same for everyone (doesn't depend on the teacher) and mine focused heavily on the design on the test and how to take it. Mind you, it didn't change my overall score at all, or decrease my anxiety in any way, but it helped me to understand the test. That's worth something, right?!

Yes that online Kaplan course was helpful and less expensive. It was all I used to prepare (no actual class or books) and I thought it had everything I needed.

Now, that was years ago so I am not sure how much has changed. It was pretty cheap when I took it but it was also fairly new at the time.

Re: Not good teachers at Kaplan - I have a (very remote) inside perspective on this. There is some training that they do but it is pretty minimal. I could imagine there being some bad teachers.

Yes that online Kaplan course was helpful and less expensive. It was all I used to prepare (no actual class or books) and I thought it had everything I needed.

Now, that was years ago so I am not sure how much has changed. It was pretty cheap when I took it but it was also fairly new at the time.

Re: Not good teachers at Kaplan - I have a (very remote) inside perspective on this. There is some training that they do but it is pretty minimal. I could imagine there being some bad teachers.

I have heard varying opinions on the Kaplan course. I was going to take it this month but the Sexton course seemed better for the price.
I am meeting with the professor as this is a combined GMAT and GRE course(apparently the math and most of the verbal are identical) so hopefully that will help some.

I agree with the courses not lessening the anxiety. I don't think anything can unless you get an actual copy of the test and do well..even then it might not ease enough! :laugh:

So does anyone know if an M.A can help an application with not so stellar GREs?
I am confident I can get a 300-305 total on the GREs.

It depends on the program and the advisor you are applying to. But ultimately, if your GRE does not meet whatever cutoff (unofficial or not) that either the program or individual mentor use to evaluate applications, a Master's is not going to matter. Your actual experiences matter much more than the degree. For example, if a student applied with a Master's and low-ish GRE score, but had good research experience, including an empirical thesis and publications, I might be inclined to interview that person. On the other hand, with no research experience (or limited independent experience or lack of empirical thesis), I would likely be concerned that such a student had hit their "ceiling" and would not thrive in a Ph.D. program. In short, a Master's degree alone is not your ticket to admission.

Thanks for the response.
In a nut shell here is my Exp:
Undegrad: GPA overall: 3.6
Psych GPA: 3.8
Interned for a semester and did 30 hours of community service for a psych class.
Assisted the head of the Psych dept in research for a full year.

Grad: GPA-3.59
R.A for a full year(this research will be presented at a conference in Nov 2012. It most likely will also be published.)

I am about to start my own research very soon and that should be done in December.
Interned for a full year also.

I may have a position to be an RA at UMDNJ but I have yet to hear on that.

I know I will have strong letters of recommendation because they are all consistent researchers who are well known in the their respective fields.
They have also known me for 2 years and have assisted me at a variety of times during the course of graduate school.
I don't know if I missed anything but I think that is everything.

I have also already emailed all the professors I am interested in, and my professor has connections in one university which may help me.
I read one article in which a professor stated they throw out any applications from people who have not contacted them. Of course this is variable.

Psychscientist, can I email you my phd list just to skim to schools I am applying to?

Sure, you can PM me.

The amount of research experience is a little low (most people have 2 years at least), but if the research you say you will be doing on your own is an empirical project, that could make up for it a little depending on the types of schools you are targeting.

Yes my research will be empirical. I am working with a young Ph.D who is already quite known in the experimental psych world. My advisor is also young and she has published quite a few articles.

List was pm'ed, thanks!!