Does increased preload prolong the duration of ventricular contraction?

Started by VanDiemen
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

VanDiemen

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was looking into the causes of inspiratory splitting of S2 and I came across this paper: http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/51/1/157.short

It seems to suggest that there is an actual increase in the duration of electromechanical systole when preload goes up. So does this mean there is some sort of mechanoelectric feedback going on where increased sarcomere stretch leads to a longer action potential?
I understand that the Frank Starling mechanism says preload can cause a harder contraction, but I thought that the total contraction time didn't change.