does it bug you when...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYMC MD 2B

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
You see people post on here asking "what should I do? My numbers are low," and everyone gives the same response...

"go out and get a ton of clinical experience."

First of all, ECs do not overcome really poor GPAs and MCATs. Alright, they help, I will admit that, but there is only so much a person can be expected to do while they are in school or working. I have actually seen one person suggest that a fellow SDNer "join the Peace Corps" and apply next year. First of all, it takes two years of training before you can even be officially in the peace corps. Second of all, it is a huge commitment (years after training). It just drives me crazy when people talk to other individuals like you MUST have insane ECs to get accepted. It is just silly and intimidating. All I had was a year of volunteer work and two years of research. My friend, who got into UCSF with a 3.8 and a 32, had the same. A lot of this is luck, and if you are well rounded, your chances are just as good as the next guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Thats bad... but I get really annoyed when people as "What should I write from my secondary?" "Why do I want to go to a particular school?". I NEVER asked for help with those questions because they're PERSONAL... ther is not right answer people!! Anything you get on SDN is a guaranteed cliché.

NYMC MD 2B said:
You see people post on here asking "what should I do? My numbers are low," and everyone gives the same response...

First of all, ECs do not overcome really poor GPAs and MCATs. Alright, they help, I will admit that, but there is only so much a person can be expected to do while they are in school or working. I have actually seen one person suggest that a fellow SDNer "join the Peace Corps" and apply next year. First of all, it takes two years of training before you can even be officially in the peace corps. Second of all, it is a huge commitment (years after training). It just drives me crazy when people talk to other individuals like you MUST have insane ECs to get accepted. It is just silly and intimidating. All I had was a year of volunteer work and two years of research. My friend, who got into UCSF with a 3.8 and a 32, had the same. A lot of this is luck, and if you are well rounded, your chances are just as good as the next guys.

I agree with your post,
but like you said, you have a 3.8 and 32 so you have a good chance of getting in, ECs, or no ECs.
Those people have lower GPA and MCAT, so ECs ARE the dealbreaker for them.

Members don't see this ad :)
what i actually think is the best advice for anyone with low GPA or MCAT to shy away from EC's and to actually address those issues not by joining the peace corps or whatever, but by going to complete a special masters program, or taking high level postbac courses, or an official masters course with high yield science classes. ECs wont address poor grades.

braluk said:
what i actually think is the best advice for anyone with low GPA or MCAT to shy away from EC's and to actually address those issues not by joining the peace corps or whatever, but by going to complete a special masters program, or taking high level postbac courses, or an official masters course with high yield science classes. ECs wont address poor grades.

That is an excellent point :thumbup:

rajastallion said:
then again, what does OP know about high numbers? u go to nymc rite? :)

o god a fight is def. about to break out...

and damn, 15 PS 15 BS and 5 VR?????

I don't know why, but it really bugs me when people say MCATs, instead of MCAT. It is a long test, but it is still just one. That is far better, however, than refering to it as "the cat" or worse yet "the cats". :barf:

Naw. I am not offended. I doubt that profile is even for real. In fact, I hope for her sake it is not. There is something really wrong with a 3.0 GPA, and an MCAT that is so rediculously unbalanced. Anyways, I don't think it is such a good idea to snear at someone elses accomplishments. She should go check out the reapplicants forum and see how many people would kill for a spot in any US MD school. I am proud of what I achieved, and I will not allow any immature, sarcastic person make me feel differently.

rajastallion said:

Funny, the average GPA at NYMC is MUCH higher than yours! You are 25, it is time to grow up. This is supposed to be a friendly site where people can go for advice. You were just looking to start a flame war

NYMC MD 2B said:
Naw. I am not offended. I doubt that profile is even for real. In fact, I hope for her sake it is not. There is something really wrong with a 3.0 GPA, and an MCAT that is so rediculously unbalanced. Anyways, I don't think it is such a good idea to snear at someone elses accomplishments. She should go check out the reapplicants forum and see how many people would kill for a spot in any US MD school. I am proud of what I achieved, and I will not allow any immature, sarcastic person make me feel differently.

u go boy :thumbup:

Dr.TobiasFünke said:
Thats bad... but I get really annoyed when people as "What should I write from my secondary?" "Why do I want to go to a particular school?". I NEVER asked for help with those questions because they're PERSONAL... ther is not right answer people!! Anything you get on SDN is a guaranteed cliché.

Rant: ACCEPTED

Snappy Comeback: NOT FOUND

PRESS ANY KEY TO CONTINUE_

Members don't see this ad :)
5 in VR = blanket rejection.
Don't throw stones in glass houses.

rajastallion said:

Schaden Freud said:
5 in VR = blanket rejection.
Don't throw stones in glass houses.

Nice MCAT! You obviously do know something about high numbers.

SailCrazy said:
I don't know why, but it really bugs me when people say MCATs, instead of MCAT. It is a long test, but it is still just one. That is far better, however, than refering to it as "the cat" or worse yet "the cats". :barf:

hey i lovingly refer to it as the 'cat and will fight to the death to preserve my right to do so.

NYMC MD 2B said:
Nice MCAT! You obviously do know something about high numbers.

hey, maybe she is a recent immigrant who has not had as much experience with the english language than you guys had. good thing PS and BS are universal

etf said:
hey i lovingly refer to it as the 'cat and will fight to the death to preserve my right to do so.

Yeah, what's wrong with saying "the 'cat"? Nothing like a nice diminutive to bring the test down to size.

We're just letting her know that if she wants to get nasty, we can get nasty.

dr_90210 said:
hey, maybe she is a recent immigrant who has not had as much experience with the english language than you guys had. good thing PS and BS are universal

dr_90210 said:

That is all fine and dandy. However, she is the one who made a really nasty, sarcastic comment. She put down the school which I will be attending, and made the assumption that I was a weak applicant because I chose NYMC. Just like we don't know if english is a second language for her, she does not know anything about my academic achievments. Judge not lest yee be judged

NYMC MD 2B said:

Yeah I agree. If you have the numbers, unless you're a robot with no personality, you're probably going to get in somewhere. Yes, there have been some exceptions with people with really high stats not getting in, but it's quite rare. To get into the top schools you need really good scores AND really good ECs but ECs can never make up for really low stats. I think people with low stats are just trying to reassure themselves they can get in this cycle and are looking for other people to tell them they're not a hopeless cause.

SailCrazy said:

The plural thing bugs me too, but not so much "the cat." Of course, I don't think any of my friends called it that, but you're right, it's only one test! ;)

NYMC MD 2B said:
Naw. I am not offended.

dude, you've made like 4 posts about it already...let it go, she's not even here

NYMC MD 2B said:
Funny, the average GPA at NYMC is MUCH higher than yours! You are 25, it is time to grow up. This is supposed to be a friendly site where people can go for advice. You were just looking to start a flame war
I dunno. To me this sounds unlike someone who is not offended. That was quite an obvious trolling...best to simply ignore completely.

NYMC MD 2B said:
That is all fine and dandy. However, she is the one who made a really nasty, sarcastic comment. She put down the school which I will be attending, and made the assumption that I was a weak applicant because I chose NYMC. Just like we don't know if english is a second language for her, she does not know anything about my academic achievments. Judge not lest yee be judged

why are you so defensive about some random person making fun of your school. I think that says something about how you view it as well.

And come one guys, english is not her second language. You can't get a 5 on verbal, and get 15's on BS and PS when all of the passages are written in english. *****s. 15's in both sciences are reserved for kids obviously going to harvard med. you guys are pathetic.

haha this thread rocks. good going nymcmd2b (i'm being serious). this has been quite entertaining.

I love this thread. All of this crap bothers me.

I am ok with "the cat" because it's just a play on words. "MCATS" is indicative of ignorance and I pledge to flame posters who use the term tirelessly.

Totally agree that there is a large club of future physician assistants on SDN with a bad GPA/MCAT that love to pat each other on the back about how devoted to medicine they are despite their academic handicap. You can be the best bed-pan-changer in the world but if a med school thinks you are not capable of passing their program, you won't even get a second look.

actually if you look at rajastallion's posts, he (or she) indicates that his or her mcat score was a 34. A quick run at the numbers in that posters mdapps has it at 35. Something screams troll to me,

braluk said:
actually if you look at rajastallion's posts, he (or she) indicates that his or her mcat score was a 34. A quick run at the numbers in that posters mdapps has it at 35. Something screams troll to me,
Perhaps that something is the blatant and obvious trolling statement they made.

Who cares? Stop talking about him. He's just some random guy on the internet. People talking about trolls disgusts me. Yes, I am disgusted at myself too.

rajastallion said:
and you applied there yourself. Your 3.0 doesn't sound so great to expect to get into schools like Harvard. Am I missing something here?

edit: Oh yea the URM, I guess that helps.

sentrosi said:
I dunno. To me this sounds unlike someone who is not offended. That was quite an obvious trolling...best to simply ignore completely.

Although I am sure I am going to get mugged for this tangent (it is on the trolling topic), but I met a resident that got a 45 on the MCAT (he actually forwarded an email which he saved from way back when he got his scores back to prove it).

I said that to say this, I thought people said that a 44 was the highest score ever. Is a 44 just the highest score since they began a new way of scoring or something (this resident probably took the MCAT about 8 years ago)?

Just curious, thanks.

DrHusky said:
Although I am sure I am going to get mugged for this tangent (it is on the trolling topic), but I met a resident that got a 45 on the MCAT (he actually forwarded an email which he saved from way back when he got his scores back to prove it).

I said that to say this, I thought people said that a 44 was the highest score ever. Is a 44 just the highest score since they began a new way of scoring or something (this resident probably took the MCAT about 8 years ago)?

Just curious, thanks.

muy interesante...i think someone on this board said 43 was the highest :confused:

NYMC MD 2B said:
First of all, it takes two years of training before you can even be officially in the peace corps. Second of all, it is a huge commitment (years after training).

I know it's not that pertinent to the topic of the thread, but I would not want anyone to read this and take it as fact. The TOTAL P-C committment is two years, it's not two years just for the training. OP - not intended as a put-down: just wanted to set the record straight. :)

Why don't you stop worrying about other people. People off course need to be realistic, but you are not an adcom, or anybody in a position of authority to claim someone is not good enough for med school.

Leave it alone, worry about yourself.

on a totally unrelated side note, what's with the recent abundance of "DrXXXX" usernames?

braluk is a SMP/post bacc guru

braluk said:

NYMC MD 2B said:

But was your primary concern to give advice or to whine about what you hate the most about the postings by other SDN-ers.

riceman04 said:
But was your primary concern to give advice or to whine about what you hate the most about the postings by other SDN-ers.

Remember guys... it's the internet and your probably NEVER EVER going to meet eachother in real life. Who cares? NYMC MD... you started this so stop being a dingus! Problem solved.

yourmom25 said:
on a totally unrelated side note, what's with the recent abundance of "DrXXXX" usernames?

Its really lame when their username is DrJim, or somehting thats actually there name, but i think its alright if its just funny

I hate when other undergrads use Dr. X names for aim, forums, or anything else. No offense, but it is really cocky. Unless the name is truly funny or is special in some way i.e. Dr.Zoidberg (from Futurama).

Dr.TobiasFünke said:
Remember guys... it's the internet and your probably NEVER EVER going to meet eachother in real life. Who cares? NYMC MD... you started this so stop being a dingus! Problem solved.

...Zing! :laugh:

):( said:
I hate when other undergrads use Dr. X names for aim, forums, or anything else. No offense, but it is really cocky. Unless the name is truly funny or is special in some way i.e. Dr.Zoidberg (from Futurama).

I hate when people think they're too good for a pronounceable name.

SailCrazy said:

Totally agree.. the worst to me is "I wrote the MCATS". You didn't WRITE anything unless you work for the MCAT test writing committee. You TOOK the test. I don't know why such a stupid thing bothers me but it sounds so pretentious for some reason.

"Yo man I just took the MCAT..." - Cool
"I sat for the MCAT back in college..." - You tryin to be British or something?
"I wrote the MCAT..." - What did the hand say to the face!? Waaaa-pshhh!

emgirl said:
Totally agree.. the worst to me is "I wrote the MCATS". You didn't WRITE anything unless you work for the MCAT test writing committee. You TOOK the test. I don't know why such a stupid thing bothers me but it sounds so pretentious for some reason.

Schaden Freud said:
"Yo man I just took the MCAT..." - Cool
"I sat for the MCAT back in college..." - You tryin to be British or something?
"I wrote the MCAT..." - What did the hand say to the face!? Waaaa-pshhh!

:D ...great use of onomatopoeia

CaramelDlite said:
:D ...great use of onomatopoeia
Just wondering if you looked that up on dictionary.com before you submitted. I know I would have. If not, that's ballsy.

FrogDoc07 said:
Just wondering if you looked that up on dictionary.com before you submitted. I know I would have. If not, that's ballsy.

Haha, no I didnt. For some reason its like the only thing that has remained with me from elementary school ( maybe we sang songs about it, I'm not sure). Glad I finally got to use it :p