Does it help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Femtochemistry

Skunk Works
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Ok, here is my story: I am at Pitt (will be a senior this fall) and i would like to become a doctor, just like everyone in here. Both of my parents are doctors at UPMC (the "pitt" unvi. hospital). Do you think this may help me in anyway of getting accepted to pitt? I am NOT in any way depending on my momy and daddy status to get me in medical school. I have a good gpa (overall 3.7 and sci. of 3.9) and over 600+ hours of volunteering and research and tutoring. I have worked my ass over the last 3 years, i am not in any way a slacker!

Thx guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I don't think that just the fact that your parents are there will get you in, but you probably know a good bit about the school and the hospital that can help you craft your response to the always-asked question "Why did you apply here?" From what I've heard, the main effect of having one or both parents be doctors in the application process is convincing admissions committees that the motivation is yours and not parental. You sound like a great applicant, so if your MCAT, personal statement and interview skills are as good as the rest of your app, you will definitely get in somewhere. Just don't put all your eggs in the Pitt basket, because the process is really a crapshoot. Good luck with your application!! :)

Thx. Yeh, including Pitt, iam applying to 26 other schools, Pitt is GREAT but i am not depending on parents to get me in Pitt. I rather get accepted somewhere else so people dont think i got in pitt beacuse of my situation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is Pitt private? If so, it'll likely help. Even if it's public...it'll likely help. The amount, however, is unknown.

I think that it will help, I have seen some secondaries that ask if anyone in your family attended that school. If they ask this I am assuming they may give some extra points to those that through family have close ties to the school. I am sure that it will not hurt you.