does it hurt you applying to the same schools on the 2nd cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ronaldo23

The Truth
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
lets say i apply to 15 schools on my first cycle, get rejected everywhere, and then apply to alot of the same schools on my second cycle. will the fact that i got rejected the first time around hurt my chances for the second time around anymore than if I never applied to the school the first time ?

Members don't see this ad.

lets say i apply to 15 schools on my first cycle, get rejected everywhere, and then apply to alot of the same schools on my second cycle. will the fact that i got rejected the first time around hurt my chances for the second time around anymore than if I never applied to the school the first time ?

I've heard once and only once that it might. But I truly doubt that. The main thing is to apply with more qualifications or better stats. Also, call the schools and ask them what was wrong with your app before so you know where to improve.

Yes, IMO, the only way it can hurt you is if you don't improve your application (numbers wise) or add something to it to make it better in terms of ECs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, if they rejected you once and nothing has changed on your application, then they'll likely reject you again.

Two scenarios where this might not be the case:
1. They see something they didn't see earlier (which I doubt would happen).
2. The overall applicant pool takes a huge downturn and what was a bad application last year is looked upon more favorably (also highly unlikely).

Yeah, definitely call the school to see where you could improve or might have been a weak point on your application. Sometimes if everything looks the same and you just apply earlier, your chances could be a lot better

i just got accepted to a school that i applied to during my first (unsuccessful) application cycle. but my mcat score increased by 6 points and i got a master's degree...so basically i think all the above posts are right :-D

I didn't change much except lor and revamped my personal statement. had my completed masters on there too. I interviewed at some of he same school and was accepted to two which I was rejected post interview last year (one was wl other was rejection)... I dont think it will hurt just call up some schools and ask what they think.

[pj];6520036 said:
Well, if they rejected you once and nothing has changed on your application, then they'll likely reject you again.

Two scenarios where this might not be the case:
1. They see something they didn't see earlier (which I doubt would happen).
2. The overall applicant pool takes a huge downturn and what was a bad application last year is looked upon more favorably (also highly unlikely).

A school will expect substantial improvement from a reapplicant. Meaning they won't give you any real consideration if you just send in the same application without fixing things. So #1 never happens. Based on the number of premeds this past year, I tend to doubt #2 will happen for at least a couple of years.

I agree with the person who suggested you contact schools that rejected you and ask how you might improve things for the upcoming cycle. Then expect that to be the minimum you need to do before reapplying. Bear in mind that some fixes cannot be done in the short interval between now and the next application cycle, so plan on sitting out of the application game a year (or more).

A school will expect substantial improvement from a reapplicant. Meaning they won't give you any real consideration if you just send in the same application without fixing things. So #1 never happens. Based on the number of premeds this past year, I tend to doubt #2 will happen for at least a couple of years.

I agree with the person who suggested you contact schools that rejected you and ask how you might improve things for the upcoming cycle. Then expect that to be the minimum you need to do before reapplying. Bear in mind that some fixes cannot be done in the short interval between now and the next application cycle, so plan on sitting out of the application game a year (or more).

Related thought on applying to the same school and putting a positive "spin" on this: After speaking with the school admissions representative regarding feedback regarding my application (for the schools that would provide this feedback), I request permission to reference the conversation when completing the repplication to the school. i.e. my message to the school is: I'm so interested in your program specifically that after I applied and didn't make the cut, I requested feedback, strengthened my application in ways suggested by your office when I spoke with Mr. admissions director on XX date, and now am re-applying, as this is one of my top-choice schools based on school characteristics xyz. I think that re-application can be made into a positive indication of dedication to attending the school!

Corollary to this is that in speaking with the schools, you can inquire as to hard cutoffs for GPA/MCAT scores, residency preference i.e. will the school realistically accept out of staters and the like. I was surprised that at one school I made the screening cut to be offered a secondary, but due to one low mcat section I was not offered an interview (per an admissions rep)