Does it look bad if I've been to multiple colleges?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AestheticGod

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I started at a CC, and than transferred to an university. But now i have to transfer to a DIFFERENT university (family related). Will this make me look bad in any way to med school??

Members don't see this ad.

I started at a CC, and than transferred to an university. But now i have to transfer to a DIFFERENT university (family related). Will this make me look bad in any way to med school??

As long as you remain in good academic standing you're fine.

^agreed

I've had courses at multiple colleges and it hasn't seemed to hinder me at all. You may want to consider finding a way to explain the moves in your app. Just don't take courses back and forth (don't want to look like your taking the easy courses/profs.) You should be fine

Members don't see this ad :)
As long as you're not failing and have consistent good grades across all the colleges you've been, then you should be fine.

I've attended three different CCs and one university. Worked out fine. Just keep your grades up, and if it's mentioned in your interviews, just be sure to clarify why it happened (for me, lots of moving).

I earned my BS and MEd many years ago. Since then, I have been working as a high school science teacher. A lot of teacher development courses that I have attended offer graduate credit for ridiculously low tuition. The only problem is that it is from some obscure university that nobody knows. It allowed me to get advanced on the pay scale, and it helped me get continuing education credit for re-certification.

Over the years I have earned credits from SEVEN different colleges/universities.

It didn't hurt me in the application process. I was accepted to three of my top five schools, and withdrew my applications pre-interview from almost all the others.

It is a pain in the neck when I need to send transcripts. It is $5 from that school, $10 from this other one. $7.50 from here, $12 to there... I think that there is only one CC where I have a 3 credit course that will send transcripts for free. What really hurts is one school where I have 1 credit, and need to pay $10 to get the transcript each time.

Good luck. Just do well everywhere you take classes. You will be fine.

dsoz

I attended 6 community colleges in 2 years to transfer out in 2 years (hard to get classes at one) and then my university for a total of 7 transcripts. I don't think its going to affect me since I have a decent GPA

Same, 7 different CCs in 3 years to transfer to a university.

I had 11 schools listed on my primary app and got in. One interviewer said she had just glanced at my app for a moment and asked me (nicely) to explain what that's about. For the record, I'm a non-trad and over the years have picked up classes here and there. On one level, I think it is an argument in your favor if you do well at multiple schools.