Does it look bad/lazy if I only work part time during the application cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reapplicant2021

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was initially planning to scribe part-time and do research on the other days, but since my scribe job often puts me on alternating days, there’s no wet lab work that can be done in the lab. Right now I’ll be looking at ~20 hours/week scribing + 4 hours/week virtual volunteering. Is this enough or will it look lazy and I should look to switch to full time or look for another PT job?

Members don't see this ad.

I was initially planning to scribe part-time and do research on the other days, but since my scribe job often puts me on alternating days, there’s no wet lab work that can be done in the lab. Right now I’ll be looking at ~20 hours/week scribing + 4 hours/week virtual volunteering. Is this enough or will it look lazy and I should look to switch to full time or look for another PT job?
What else are you doing to stay busy?

Members don't see this ad :)
What else are you doing to stay busy?

There’s a possibility that the lab invites me to help write a paper down the road, but nothing is set in stone yet. Other than that, nothing that isn’t listed already.

There’s a possibility that the lab invites me to help write a paper down the road, but nothing is set in stone yet. Other than that, nothing that isn’t listed already.
If it is apparent that you are busy, other than working part time, with volunteering, family or research-related activities, hobbies, artistic endeavors, or whatever (+/- classes), you won't look "lazy."

Reactions: 1 user
Like others have already stated, you do not need to be doing anything else!

You look plenty busy trying to balance work/life!