• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Does it look "bad" per se to shadow a DO right before applications open up?

somedudehere

7+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2014
  1. Pre-Medical
    Is this something that would be viewed negatively as in not having a prolonged commitment to DO since it's kind of a last minute thing?

I always planned on applying DO but never got around to finding one to shadow. I've also been busy with my SMP/volunteer gig that took up most of my time. I'm going to be free beginning in May when classes end and I have something lined up around then.

Thanks.

Edit: I already have MD/PA shadowing but this would be my first DO and the doctor who I'm getting a letter from.

radian313

10+ Year Member
    Jun 26, 2009
    1. Medical Student
      Is this something that would be viewed negatively as in not having a prolonged commitment to DO since it's kind of a last minute thing?

I always planned on applying DO but never got around to finding one to shadow. I've also been busy with my SMP/volunteer gig that took up most of my time. I'm going to be free beginning in May when classes end and I have something lined up around then.

Thanks.

Edit: I already have MD/PA shadowing but this would be my first DO and the doctor who I'm getting a letter from.
      No. Just make sure you get a good experience out of it. Dont just say "hollistic care" "whole person" etc

Reactions: 3 users
      About the Ads

Bones 2020

Dammit Jim, I'm a student, not a doctor!
      7+ Year Member
      Apr 21, 2011
      1. Medical Student
        No. Just make sure you get a good experience out of it. Dont just say "hollistic care" "whole person" etc

I gave a personal reason why I wanted to go to the DO school I'm matriculating at, and they were so happy they literally told me "We're glad you didn't say anything about holistic care" haha

radian313

10+ Year Member
        Jun 26, 2009
        1. Medical Student
          I gave a personal reason why I wanted to go to the DO school I'm matriculating at, and they were so happy they literally told me "We're glad you didn't say anything about holistic care" haha
          yep I had a similar experience at mine and they loved how I tied my life story and the loss of my family member to osteopathic principles. Nearly cried, hope it didnt make me look like a looser.

billeboi31

5+ Year Member
          Aug 14, 2015
          1. Medical Student
            The purpose of shadowing DOs is for you to experience their approach to patient care (if it happens to differ from MDs you've shadowed) and possibly see some OMM (if the DO you shadow uses it). So obviously it's a good idea to shadow DOs before applying to DO school, but it won't be looked upon unfavorably by ADCOMs.

Reactions: 1 user

Halcyon45

sc2?
            2+ Year Member
            Jan 9, 2015
            Wisconsin
            1. Medical Student (Accepted)
              The purpose of shadowing DOs is for you to experience their approach to patient care (if it happens to differ from MDs you've shadowed) and possibly see some OMM (if the DO you shadow uses it). So obviously it's a good idea to shadow DOs before applying to DO school, but it won't be looked upon unfavorably by ADCOMs.

Perfect answer IMO!

About the Ads
              This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
              2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
              5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
              6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              7. This thread is locked.