Does it matter if I did not graduate from college with honors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Djw1995

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I recently graduated, and I am planning on taking a gap year as a medical scribe while applying to med school. While graduating, something kind of irked me - I did not graduate with honors. At my school, to qualify for departmental honors, you had to apply, which I did not do. For latin honors (cum laude, magna cum laude, summa cum laude), 35% of the graduating class with the highest GPAs are automatically eligible. Based on non-GPA factors and faculty recommendations, the top 25% of the class get selected for honors.

I didn't receive any honors, and I felt pretty uncertain about it. I have a 3.815 GPA, 517 MCAT score, plenty of good extracurriculars (including research & volunteer), and I am expecting most of my med school recommendations to be good. That said, I don't know if I will seem as competitive as some of my friends who got Summa or Magna cum laude on their degrees.

Do you think this could make me seem less competitive, or look bad if I don't have honors?

Members don't see this ad.

You're fine. I would throw some vulgarity but I've been warned to Shut the front door

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Whoa didn't graduate with honors? Idk man. Make sure you're ready to talk about it in interviews.

Thanks everyone so far for your responses!

Whoa didn't graduate with honors? Idk man. Make sure you're ready to talk about it in interviews.

Ahh, your response is the opposite of what the other two posters said. :/ Can you elaborate?

Latin honors are, for the most part, meaningless. They are typically tied to a certain GPA and adcoms can already see your GPA

Thanks everyone so far for your responses!

Ahh, your response is the opposite of what the other two posters said. :/ Can you elaborate?

Really? I mean Poe's Law and all that, but...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile