Does it matter the university I do my diy post bacc in? How many classes should I take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ignorantsince2016

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.2 gpa, and 3.0 sgpa, and I'm planning on doing 1 year diy post bacc. I am graduating this Spring, and I was thinking of applying for a second bachelor's at a cheaper 4 yr college that has a lower reputation than my current state school so that I can work on my gpa. Would this be a bad idea? Should I continue taking classes at my state school?

Also, would 1.5 yrs of good grades be acceptable?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a 3.2 gpa, and 3.0 sgpa, and I'm planning on doing 1 year diy post bacc. I am graduating this Spring, and I was thinking of applying for a second bachelor's at a cheaper 4 yr college that has a lower reputation than my current state school so that I can work on my gpa. Would this be a bad idea? Should I continue taking classes at my state school?

What is your current GPA trend through undergrad?

I don’t think your post-bacc grades will be enough to compensate for that low GPA, except for that post-bacc school. You need a more aggressive reinvention strategy. Have you taken the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don’t think your post-bacc grades will be enough to compensate for that low GPA, except for that post-bacc school. You need a more aggressive reinvention strategy. Have you taken the MCAT?
What would be a more aggressive reinvention strategy? I have not taken the MCAT...I'm planning on taking it the summer after I graduate.

What would be a more aggressive reinvention strategy? I have not taken the MCAT...I'm planning on taking it the summer after I graduate.
Check Goro’s post on reinvention strategy. But since you haven’t taken the MCAT, it’s still too early to call if a reinvention is truly needed.

cgpa
Freshman: 3.58
Sophomore: 3.26
Junior: 3.18
Senior: 3.26

sgpa
freshman: 3.61
sophomore: 3.12
junior: 2.79
senior: 3.08
I am left wondering why you think your post-bacc grades will be better than your senior grades.

Do yourself a favor: take a gap year or two and come back to the academic game a little older and wiser.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I am left wondering why you think your post-bacc grades will be better than your senior grades.

Do yourself a favor: take a gap year or two and come back to the academic game a little older and wiser.
I hate to be the bearer of bad excuses, but I won't be dealing with a lot of the things I am dealing with right now come fall of next year, that's why I am planning for a DIY post-bacc. I'm not academically incapable, I'm just struggling in my personal life. I don't think I have my question answered, but I'll figure it out...thanks to everyone who took the time to give advice.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
No I don’t think it matters where you take it, although preferably in a 4 year university. It’s more about what classes you take (I.e. med school-like courses like anatomy etc) and what grades you get

Reactions: 2 users
I hate to be the bearer of bad excuses, but I won't be dealing with a lot of the things I am dealing with right now come fall of next year, that's why I am planning for a DIY post-bacc. I'm not academically incapable, I'm just struggling in my personal life. I don't think I have my question answered, but I'll figure it out...thanks to everyone who took the time to give advice.
Just trying to help. I've seen this movie a hundred times. It usually ends with the student painted into a corner.

@DameJulie is correct, as long as it's a 4-year institution then it will suffice. Choose the one that best fits your budget and whatever other considerations you have. Take as many courses as you can while excelling, accounting for the need to work and/or engage in ECs. The bare minimum credits per semester would be 6, don't go over 15. Two semesters of solid grades are sufficient to apply with, three is better.

Good luck.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

4 year school > CC
1-1.5 years of great grades is fine

A second degree isn't needed

Reactions: 1 user