Does it matter what school you graduated from?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reading all of this is pretty entertaining. Great to see that this is what some dental students do in their spare time, but i have to give two cents. My take is in line with what a lot of people were saying earlier. Those at prestigious schools think that their prestige is mattering more than it truly is.

What's interesting to point out though is that most of you are debating about West Coast, mostly California schools. I think our regional biases need to be taken into account when posting. This whole Berkeley vs Stanford vs UCLA vs other Cal school stuff is very narrow minded. I go to Emory University in Atlanta (US News #17) and I guarantee some of you have never heard of it the way Berkeley or Stanford or Harvard rings. Most people on the east coast and certainly in the south call it prestigious. A lot of ppl don't even know it use to have a dental school. Actually when US News did a special on Southern Ivies, Emory, Duke, and Vanderbilt topped the list. This is not to rule out Wake Forest, Rice, and other top "prestigious" schools, but my point is that there are many "prestigious" schools that are not Ivys and not California schools. in fact, most of these students (myself included0 got into UCLA, Berkeley, Princeton, etc...but money and other factors definitely play a huge role. Here in the South we have those same arguments that you all are having with your Cali schools.

And that leads me to my next point about public state prestigious schools. Not sure how you all out west/Cali see it, but UNC, UVA, Georgia Tech and even UF are probably the best state/public schools in the country. Now i say this b/c I know more about them being in the south, but those same students can EASILY compete with top West coast schools and northeast ivys.

Bottom line, just because you get into Harvard, doesn't mean you should go. I've heard terrible things about Harvard's clincal exposure for its students and for some, getting the experience is more important than the name. Please people, get off your high horses, there are thousands of people across the country/world who have achieved just as much as you have academically and go to great institutions that US News recognizes and also to great public schools that may not be in your region.

To the pricks who really think name is everything, don't be a demise to the field of dentistry and gloat about your diploma, be a professional and know that you have the same degree as any other dentist, regardless of how they got there.

Members don't see this ad.

Reading all of this is pretty entertaining. Great to see that this is what some dental students do in their spare time, but i have to give two cents. My take is in line with what a lot of people were saying earlier. Those at prestigious schools think that their prestige is mattering more than it truly is.

What's interesting to point out though is that most of you are debating about West Coast, mostly California schools. I think our regional biases need to be taken into account when posting. This whole Berkeley vs Stanford vs UCLA vs other Cal school stuff is very narrow minded. I go to Emory University in Atlanta (US News #17) and I guarantee some of you have never heard of it the way Berkeley or Stanford or Harvard rings. Most people on the east coast and certainly in the south call it prestigious. A lot of ppl don't even know it use to have a dental school. Actually when US News did a special on Southern Ivies, Emory, Duke, and Vanderbilt topped the list. This is not to rule out Wake Forest, Rice, and other top "prestigious" schools, but my point is that there are many "prestigious" schools that are not Ivys and not California schools. in fact, most of these students (myself included0 got into UCLA, Berkeley, Princeton, etc...but money and other factors definitely play a huge role. Here in the South we have those same arguments that you all are having with your Cali schools.

And that leads me to my next point about public state prestigious schools. Not sure how you all out west/Cali see it, but UNC, UVA, Georgia Tech and even UF are probably the best state/public schools in the country. Now i say this b/c I know more about them being in the south, but those same students can EASILY compete with top West coast schools and northeast ivys.

Bottom line, just because you get into Harvard, doesn't mean you should go. I've heard terrible things about Harvard's clincal exposure for its students and for some, getting the experience is more important than the name. Please people, get off your high horses, there are thousands of people across the country/world who have achieved just as much as you have academically and go to great institutions that US News recognizes and also to great public schools that may not be in your region.

To the pricks who really think name is everything, don't be a demise to the field of dentistry and gloat about your diploma, be a professional and know that you have the same degree as any other dentist, regardless of how they got there.

I this may be a little too accurate and articulate for this thread....nice work buddy.....

What's interesting to point out though is that most of you are debating about West Coast, mostly California schools. I think our regional biases need to be taken into account when posting. This whole Berkeley vs Stanford vs UCLA vs other Cal school stuff is very narrow minded. I go to Emory University in Atlanta (US News #17) and I guarantee some of you have never heard of it the way Berkeley or Stanford or Harvard rings.
The reason why you have never heard about Emory the way Berkeley or Stanford or Harvard rings is because Emory is not in the same "league" as those schools. This is not to say that Emory isn't a good school. (Berkeley undergrad vs Emory undergrad on the basis of #'s isn't really a big difference, but Berkeley really shines at the grad level)

in fact, most of these students (myself included0 got into UCLA, Berkeley, Princeton, etc...but money and other factors definitely play a huge role. Here in the South we have those same arguments that you all are having with your Cali schools.

I don't think anyone is arguing that certain schools have a exclusive monopoly on academic talent. Your point about $ is valid, but that applies on a per student basis and most kids at your state u are not kids who turned down ivy leagues because of money. Since you go to Emory which is a private school, I don't really see how the $ point is very relevant though.

As someone who has lived in the South their whole life, I have to disagree. The schools you listed are hugely different from Berkeley in terms of academics. Have you even looked at the statistics for entering undergrad classes at the schools?
1ochars

dlc said:
"Berkeley is straight up dominant in Biology, Physics, Chemistry, and Engineering at the grad level."

I can't take it anymore, I'm laughing so hard....this is the dorkiest trash talking I've ever heard.....I can't believe you actually said this....thank you.

Numbaonestunna = Numba One Dork
Honestly, you're ******ed buddy - what I said hardly qualifies for trash talk. And besides if you can't admit to this you have no idea what you're talking about. It's fine to disagree, but it'd be nice if some of you Berkeley haters would actually provide some evidence/facts in your arguments.

500px-University_of_California,_Berkeley_athletic_logo.svg.png

Whuuuat?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
"The reason why you have never heard about Emory the way Berkeley or Stanford or Harvard rings"

Just when I think Stunna can't get any funnier, he does it again! Thank you....I have one question; Do the unicorns talk on your planet? This quote is absolutely classic....I was just ribbing before but I'll explain to you how ridiculous you sound comparing Cal to Standford and Harvard.

It's been stated in this thread that Cal is tougher because the competition surrounding you is tougher...you also like to use statistics, so I'll use just a little...Cal's website states that 85% of undergrads are from the state of California, whereas private schools draw from entire country and/or world. Furthermore, Private schools are generally smaller......[Less seats + Larger Applicant Pool = very competitive].....in other words [Many seats + small applicant pool = less competitive].......in other words if you're a Cali resident...Berkeley aint that hard to get in...doens't mean it's not a great school it certainly is (one of many)....further translate that to mean the competition you quote as the reason for your low grades is actually far superior at those schools you think to be on par with....but don't worry, as I and others on this thread have argued...it won't and shouldn't be held against you that you only went to a state school.......I can't wait to see your response to this...should be good

Bottom line....Berkeley is a great school....but nobody outside of Berkeley thinks as highly of it as people there.....and no dental school is giving Cal students any special treatment....Harvard, Standford, etc...may get some, but Cal isn't....and the sad part is, you know it which is why Cal undergrads applying to professional schools are so angry and insult great schools like Emory.

The whole Nobel Prize, elements discovered argument.....did you have anything to do with any of those? No, then dental schools could careless.....those are awards for researchers and says nothing about the quality of education. And as I already mentioned...such a dorky argement

One more note...this thread was some good natured jousting for fun....calling someone "******ed" shows your true colors and deviates far from the line of appropriateness.......especially for an aspiring health care professional....this is where we part ways, thanks for the laughs.. Good luck when you leave the bubble one day.

"The reason why you have never heard about Emory the way Berkeley or Stanford or Harvard rings"

Just when I think Stunna can't get any funnier, he does it again! Thank you....I have one question; Do the unicorns talk on your planet? This quote is absolutely classic....I was just ribbing before but I'll explain to you how ridiculous you sound comparing Cal to Standford and Harvard.

It's been stated in this thread that Cal is tougher because the competition surrounding you is tougher...you also like to use statistics, so I'll use just a little...Cal's website states that 85% of undergrads are from the state of California, whereas private schools draw from entire country and/or world. Furthermore, Private schools are generally smaller......[Less seats + Larger Applicant Pool = very competitive].....in other words [Many seats + small applicant pool = less competitive].......in other words if you're a Cali resident...Berkeley aint that hard to get in...doens't mean it's not a great school it certainly is (one of many)....further translate that to mean the competition you quote as the reason for your low grades is actually far superior at those schools you think to be on par with....but don't worry, as I and others on this thread have argued...it won't and shouldn't be held against you that you only went to a state school.......I can't wait to see your response to this...should be good

Bottom line....Berkeley is a great school....but nobody outside of Berkeley thinks as highly of it as people there.....and no dental school is giving Cal students any special treatment....Harvard, Standford, etc...may get some, but Cal isn't....and the sad part is, you know it which is why Cal undergrads applying to professional schools are so angry and insult great schools like Emory.

The whole Nobel Prize, elements discovered argument.....did you have anything to do with any of those? No, then dental schools could careless.....those are awards for researchers and says nothing about the quality of education. And as I already mentioned...such a dorky argement

One more note...this thread was some good natured jousting for fun....calling someone "******ed" shows your true colors and deviates far from the line of appropriateness.......especially for an aspiring health care professional....this is where we part ways, thanks for the laughs.. Good luck when you leave the bubble one day.

You have to understand that you are simplifying the matter too much. Berkeley has some easier majors. It also has extremely difficult ones (science). Not everyone can major in the extremely difficult ones, you have to be accepted into them. This means the top students compete against each other in their difficult majors. There is a CLEAR line between these majors.
This is just one thing wrong with your argument.

Anyway, why do you hate Berkeley so much? They reject you? where are you at now?

Can we close this thread?It starts to get annoying

To all the haters (DLC) my last post said that where Berkeley shines is it's grad school programs. You just gave an argument saying that it's undergrad isn't on the same level as Harvard, Stanford etc - if you read my last post you'd see that I never said Berkeley was on the same level as those schools @ the undergrad level. I said that Berkeley was very similar to emory in caliber of students at the undergrad level compared to harvard/stanford in terms of numbers - which is true. Overall grad+undergrad combined and looking across the major academic disciplines Berkeley>Emory.

And to those upset over me calling DLC ******ed, why the double standard? He called me a dork, I called him ******ed - just messin around.

Keep the responses coming, this thread brings me happiness and lets me hold off on my lab writeups :). FYI I applied to Emory and not Berkeley for college, I have no reason to be biased.

Last edited:
Kill the thread...I concur.

Note that no hate whatsoever toward Cal...just oversimplifying an argument to make a point to the snobbery of what is probably a small minority of students. I've said it all along, Cal is a great school.

Stunna, I enjoyed the banter, but this thread is dead....thanks for the jousting match, best of luck to you and everyone else on your future endeavors.

Kill the thread...I concur.

Note that no hate whatsoever toward Cal...just oversimplifying an argument to make a point to the snobbery of what is probably a small minority of students. I've said it all along, Cal is a great school.

Stunna, I enjoyed the banter, but this thread is dead....thanks for the jousting match, best of luck to you and everyone else on your future endeavors.
You too buddy, it was fun while it lasted.

Efffff thaaat. WHO'S HATING ON CAL?!?! WHOOOZZZHE?!

Hehe jk guys. Close this ish :)

honestly,

i think it matters what your major is rather than where you go for undergrad.

you could be majoring in chemistry at harvard for all i know. yea, harvard is a good school, but it is not well known for their science program. (although they are trying to making it better) what's the point of going to harvard?

i dunno. i am just hoping that my biomedical engineering degree from georgia tech will help me stand out among other applicants. (GATECH ranks 3rd for BME program for undergrad and 2nd for grad level).

and reading all other threads about berk, i have to mention this.

I have a friend who went to berk, majored in an engineering.
OK gpa, however, did not get into anywhere for med school. ended up in a state med school here in georgia.

bottom line is: let us stop arguing. no point of arguing over something we can't do anything about.

UC at Berkley (1)
U of Virginia in Charlottesville (2)
U of NC in Chapel Hill (5)
William and Mary (6)

I asked the Dean of Admissions "does it matter which college one attended"
Response "YES"

"they tend to have lower GPA's but higher DAT's"

"these public universities were harder to get into and the competiton was fierce....these students do better (in Dental School) than those from non-ivy private universities"

What??
None of the school you listed here are IVy schools.

So the harsh conclusion:

It does not matter if you are dental student and doing well, if you are not from the IVy schools and UCB you will eventually do bad and graduate the last of your class because again your undergrad did not prepare you. And do not argue, just accept that there is no chance in hell you can surpass students from "HARD PUSHED" schools.

honestly,

i think it matters what your major is rather than where you go for undergrad.

you could be majoring in chemistry at harvard for all i know. yea, harvard is a good school, but it is not well known for their science program. (although they are trying to making it better) what's the point of going to harvard?

i dunno. i am just hoping that my biomedical engineering degree from georgia tech will help me stand out among other applicants. (GATECH ranks 3rd for BME program for undergrad and 2nd for grad level).

and reading all other threads about berk, i have to mention this.

I have a friend who went to berk, majored in an engineering.
OK gpa, however, did not get into anywhere for med school. ended up in a state med school here in georgia.

bottom line is: let us stop arguing. no point of arguing over something we can't do anything about.

You are exactly right. You get a low gpa and you are screwed, doesn't matter where you come out of.

Schools will not forgive a low gpa no matter how good/hard the school or program is, as seen by your friend.

Haha, Harvard is very well known for its sciences, chemistry included.

Bottom line, just because you get into Harvard, doesn't mean you should go. I've heard terrible things about Harvard's clincal exposure for its students and for some, getting the experience is more important than the name.

Ya, I mean, since you hear it from someone else it must be true right? :rolleyes: