Does it matter where a post-bac is done?!?!?!?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
L

Lizzi

I am a transfer student at a private college in CA, and I am graduating in June '07 with a non-science degree. I took some science classes while I was in community college and recieved all A's, but none of my prereqs are done. I have three choices due to the fact that I am trying to boost my undergrad gpa: CSU Hayward (EastBay), SFSU, or Mills College (not really b/c it only offers graduate credits). There is another school in SF called New College that has this Science Institute program, it is an 8 month program, but I am afraid that:

1) My MCAT scores are going to be an issue with so much info in such a short amount of time. Can someone learn all that info and score well (35+) on the MCATs?

2) I never even heard of New College before I read a post on this site, and I am afraid that the fact that it is a no-name institution will hurt my chances to get into the really good schools in CA (UCSF, UCDavis, Stanford) even if I pulled a 4.0.

The upside to New College is that it is:
Completed in a shorter timeframe
Only on weekends (but it is from 8:30-6:30, and you are expected to study at least 3 hours every day on your own) so I can work somewhat during the week and if I start in August I would end in March and be able to enter med school before 2010!

However, if I did SFSU, I may or may not have time for ECs which I have none of.

Does it matter where the post bac is done? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

www.newcollege.edu

Members don't see this ad.

Looks to me like the New College is still working on its accreditation. So that's a no go in my world view. Maybe send some email asking for graduates of their program who got into a medical school you'd want to go to.

I think Mills is compelling, and I'm skeptical that the credits granted are graduate level, since the classes are separate sections of normal undergrad courses. The environment there would be worth the tuition, imho. I'd send some mail asking what your transcript would look like.

Best of luck to you.

Unfortunately, Mills' program doesn't affect undergrad gpa.
SFSU's does, so I am planning on just going there. I tried getting info from the director of the program, but he never really gave me a direct answer about where the program's students marticulated.
Thanks though. :)