Does it matter where you do your undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supfoo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I searched but couldn't find a topic related to this on the Pre-Pharm board. I want to apply to schools in Cali like UCSF, UCSD, UoP, etc... and I was wondering if it matters where you did your unergrad at. I go to UCR, and it's currently ranked no. 94 on the US News national universities Ranking. That means it is still tier 1 but obviously not as high as some other schools. My question is does it matter what university you get your degree from (as in does one particular degree have a higher "value" than the other)? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

I searched but couldn't find a topic related to this on the Pre-Pharm board. I want to apply to schools in Cali like UCSF, UCSD, UoP, etc... and I was wondering if it matters where you did your unergrad at. I go to UCR, and it's currently ranked no. 94 on the US News national universities Ranking. That means it is still tier 1 but obviously not as high as some other schools. My question is does it matter what university you get your degree from (as in does one particular degree have a higher "value" than the other)? Thanks.
Your searching skills need improvement.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

If it makes any difference at all we have several people who get in each year from the CSU system at USC. I came in from CSUSB, 6 people in my class from Cal Poly Pomona, a few more from CSUN and CSU-F. So, no, it doesn't matter at USC. Acceptances tend to be in-line with the number of applications from each school. (USC tends to be more GPA centric, so my 3.9 CC GPA, which became a 3.59 CSUSB GPA is more than likely why I am where I am moreso than the possiblity that CSUSB is some top tier school.