Does it matter where you do your undergrad?

Started by supfoo
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

supfoo

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone,

I searched but couldn't find a topic related to this on the Pre-Pharm board. I want to apply to schools in Cali like UCSF, UCSD, UoP, etc... and I was wondering if it matters where you did your unergrad at. I go to UCR, and it's currently ranked no. 94 on the US News national universities Ranking. That means it is still tier 1 but obviously not as high as some other schools. My question is does it matter what university you get your degree from (as in does one particular degree have a higher "value" than the other)? Thanks.
 
Last edited:
Hey everyone,

I searched but couldn't find a topic related to this on the Pre-Pharm board. I want to apply to schools in Cali like UCSF, UCSD, UoP, etc... and I was wondering if it matters where you did your unergrad at. I go to UCR, and it's currently ranked no. 94 on the US News national universities Ranking. That means it is still tier 1 but obviously not as high as some other schools. My question is does it matter what university you get your degree from (as in does one particular degree have a higher "value" than the other)? Thanks.
Your searching skills need improvement.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone,

I searched but couldn't find a topic related to this on the Pre-Pharm board. I want to apply to schools in Cali like UCSF, UCSD, UoP, etc... and I was wondering if it matters where you did your unergrad at. I go to UCR, and it's currently ranked no. 94 on the US News national universities Ranking. That means it is still tier 1 but obviously not as high as some other schools. My question is does it matter what university you get your degree from (as in does one particular degree have a higher "value" than the other)? Thanks.

If it makes any difference at all we have several people who get in each year from the CSU system at USC. I came in from CSUSB, 6 people in my class from Cal Poly Pomona, a few more from CSUN and CSU-F. So, no, it doesn't matter at USC. Acceptances tend to be in-line with the number of applications from each school. (USC tends to be more GPA centric, so my 3.9 CC GPA, which became a 3.59 CSUSB GPA is more than likely why I am where I am moreso than the possiblity that CSUSB is some top tier school.