Does it matter where you get PharmD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eeneich

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is going on everyone. This thought is begining to splinter in my mind. Does it matter where you get the PharmD lisence? I live in California and I am aiming for Western University of Health Sciences... but I mean do people go get their lisence from USC or UOP... would have edge over others? Or does it not even matter?

Members don't see this ad.

eeneich said:
What is going on everyone. This thought is begining to splinter in my mind. Does it matter where you get the PharmD lisence? I live in California and I am aiming for Western University of Health Sciences... but I mean do people go get their lisence from USC or UOP... would have edge over others? Or does it not even matter?

I don't think it would matter too much, since finding a job is so easy right now, but considering how many pharmacists in So. Cal are from USC, it might give an extra edge to those job applicants (considering historically how USC alums look out for eachother).... It might make more of an impact in harder-to-get positions.

Do you think it is wise to do the pre requisites for just one pharmacy school? Or is that just ridiculous. I really want to attend Western... it is close to me, cheaper than USC, and no religion involved like Loma Linda. Im stuck really... because I am a non science major (Econ major). Western pre requisities are less than USC's and LLU's... but Im just stumped. I do not know if I should just go ahead and take all the classess to fulfull all the pre req's for pharm schools in california. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad :)
eeneich said:
What is going on everyone. This thought is begining to splinter in my mind.

sup

great thread introduction :thumbup:

eeneich said:
Do you think it is wise to do the pre requisites for just one pharmacy school? Or is that just ridiculous. I really want to attend Western... it is close to me, cheaper than USC, and no religion involved like Loma Linda. Im stuck really... because I am a non science major (Econ major). Western pre requisities are less than USC's and LLU's... but Im just stumped. I do not know if I should just go ahead and take all the classess to fulfull all the pre req's for pharm schools in california. Any advice?

I aimed at doing my prereq's for just one- USC. I applied to 3, USC, UCSD, and Western and thankfully they were all pretty close (except Western was the only one that wanted Anatomy, and USC wanted Interpersonal Communication compared to Speech which UCSD/Western wanted). So it was fairly easy (took me 4 1/3 years :D ), since USC wants so many prereq's it took care of pretty much everything else. It's pretty challenging trying to squeeze in all the prereq's for different schools. I'll remind you that you better finish all of your Western prereq's by the Spring before you enter pharmacy school because they wont accept summer classes right before entering their pharm school.... which sucks because it'd be nice to be able to save a prereq or 2 to do once you know you're admitted to the school, so it's not like a waste.

I honestly have no idea how you would do USC's prereq's while being an Econ major. You may as well double major or minor in biological sciences too because you need physiology/microbiology/cell bio/biochemistry/molecular biology. It kinda depends what year you are in school, how much work you wanna do. If you're not really serious about going to USC you may not want to do all those prereq's. I'm not sure what Loma Linda's are like, but UCSF and UCSD's prereq's are both fairly extensive too.

Since you wanna go to Western so bad maybe you should just put all your energy into their prereq's and hopefully you'll get in.

That is what I am most likely going to do. Thanks Trojan. And thanks for the comment aubie.

TrojanAnteater said:
I aimed at doing my prereq's for just one- USC. I applied to 3, USC, UCSD, and Western and thankfully they were all pretty close (except Western was the only one that wanted Anatomy, and USC wanted Interpersonal Communication compared to Speech which UCSD/Western wanted). So it was fairly easy (took me 4 1/3 years :D ), since USC wants so many prereq's it took care of pretty much everything else. It's pretty challenging trying to squeeze in all the prereq's for different schools. I'll remind you that you better finish all of your Western prereq's by the Spring before you enter pharmacy school because they wont accept summer classes right before entering their pharm school.... which sucks because it'd be nice to be able to save a prereq or 2 to do once you know you're admitted to the school, so it's not like a waste.

I honestly have no idea how you would do USC's prereq's while being an Econ major. You may as well double major or minor in biological sciences too because you need physiology/microbiology/cell bio/biochemistry/molecular biology. It kinda depends what year you are in school, how much work you wanna do. If you're not really serious about going to USC you may not want to do all those prereq's. I'm not sure what Loma Linda's are like, but UCSF and UCSD's prereq's are both fairly extensive too.

Since you wanna go to Western so bad maybe you should just put all your energy into their prereq's and hopefully you'll get in.

For USC, is "Oral Communication" equivalent to "Interpersonal Communication"???

^

I'd call USC admin to verify that.

From what I remember when I was looking into applying to california, USC was fairly strict to what could fit in that requirement.

In fact, I think their website has an area where you can select the school you are attending and it will tell you what classes at your school fulfill the requirements. If it's blank, more than likely your school doesn't have a class to fulfill it.

I would complete Western pre-reqs first because like what TrojanAnteater mentioned, you MUST complete everything by spring before entering pharm school for Western.

You'll have more leeway for other CA pharm schools because you can complete about 2 or 3 more classes during the summer if you need the extra time.

They all pretty much have the same pre-reqs except for a few classes.