does it matter where you get your clincial training?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pyschmdtobe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what i was thinking was more on the business school side of getting some phlebotomy training. can someone answer my question? will medical school hold is against me?:luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm afraid I don't understand the question. Can you rephrase?

I can say that the real value of phlebotomy training (at least in CA) is that it includes an externship where you get real clinical experience. Then you can get a job doing the same thing. And it's fun.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm afraid I don't understand the question. Can you rephrase?

I can say that the real value of phlebotomy training (at least in CA) is that it includes an externship where you get real clinical experience. Then you can get a job doing the same thing. And it's fun.

what i was trying to say was does it matter where you get your phlebotomy training?

Yes and no. I know of two schools in the San Francisco area. The cheaper, shorter one seems to send people to the same externships as the expensive, long one. Drawing blood from real patients is where you really learn stuff. Everything else is just prep.

I suspect that working at an HIV ward would look better than at an uptown clinic. I know that working in a place that serves a lot of IV drug users will be really frustrating, but will also sharpen your skills REALLY quickly.

Yes and no. I know of two schools in the San Francisco area. The cheaper, shorter one seems to send people to the same externships as the expensive, long one. Drawing blood from real patients is where you really learn stuff. Everything else is just prep.

I suspect that working at an HIV ward would look better than at an uptown clinic. I know that working in a place that serves a lot of IV drug users will be really frustrating, but will also sharpen your skills REALLY quickly.

ok, thank you i think that answers my question. i was looking into a course that teaches serveral things, in one. (you know, billing, med term, and such) and i was just wondering if this one was ok to take. thanks for your input!:luck: