does it matter where you go to medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ramster

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
At the end of the day, does it really matter where everyone studies medicine; I was talking to a few doctors the other day, including my uncle, and they compared it to wearing a pair of jeans: you could put on a pair of versace jeans or a pair of levis, but both will cover your ass when you step outside your house. So should I be considering more than cost of a school and proximatey to people I love (friends and family)??

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by ramster
At the end of the day, does it really matter where everyone studies medicine; I was talking to a few doctors the other day, including my uncle, and they compared it to wearing a pair of jeans: you could put on a pair of versace jeans or a pair of levis, but both will cover your ass when you step outside your house. So should I be considering more than cost of a school and proximatey to people I love (friends and family)??

depends on what type of doctor you want to be in terms of specialty and what your overall career goals are.

for primary care, an MD is an MD

for academia or for a competitive specialty, where you go matters some, but its not the end-all-be-all of the process.

As an MS4 applying to residency, I've found it matters more than I thought. I absolutely do not agree with it, but it is something to consider. It really only matters at the very top (elite schools) or the **perceived** bottom, meaning mainly foreign schools. I was at a forum with many emergency residency directors and they were diplomatic but kinda brutally honest about that. They say it's hard to compare candidates because there is more variety, harder to know letter writers or meaning of the dean's letters, etc. FOr EM at least board scores are a lot less important than your clinical performance. On a good note, if you rotate and really shine--you can really make up ground.
For elite schools, you may have an easier time getting an interview. Of course, you can still put your foot in your mouth and let your psychopathology peek out.

I know foreign grads, and they have to work a lot harder to assure that they get a residency spot. Unfair but true.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with Gleevec. If you're trying to get into a competitive specialty, I think that a prestigious school will open some doors for you. On the other hand, people from bottom-tier med schools do match in great programs, and people from top 10s get rejected.

Originally posted by gimmedog
As an MS4 applying to residency, I've found it matters more than I thought. I absolutely do not agree with it, but it is something to consider. It really only matters at the very top (elite schools) or the **perceived** bottom, meaning mainly foreign schools. I was at a forum with many emergency residency directors and they were diplomatic but kinda brutally honest about that. They say it's hard to compare candidates because there is more variety, harder to know letter writers or meaning of the dean's letters, etc. FOr EM at least board scores are a lot less important than your clinical performance. On a good note, if you rotate and really shine--you can really make up ground.
For elite schools, you may have an easier time getting an interview. Of course, you can still put your foot in your mouth and let your psychopathology peek out.

I know foreign grads, and they have to work a lot harder to assure that they get a residency spot. Unfair but true.

Interesting. Where were the EM directors from?

I think in truth, if you go to an american school (there is some definate truth about FMG's, depending on where the school is) and you get decent grades and excellent letters, you can do anything.

What most premeds don't know (and I myself didn't know) is that most 'specialties' are fellowships, so what is really going to matter more is how you do in your residency.

And I have seen really great doctors from foriegn schools or 'lesser' schools and really terrible doctors from 'great' schools. So, really, you aren't going to get great letters and are less likely do to well in medical school if you pick a place you hate simply because it has a name.

Just get into med school and learn as much as you can.

well said, hofly

Originally posted by roja

I think in truth, if you go to an american school (there is some definate truth about FMG's, depending on where the school is) and you get decent grades and excellent letters, you can do anything.

What most premeds don't know (and I myself didn't know) is that most 'specialties' are fellowships, so what is really going to matter more is how you do in your residency.

And I have seen really great doctors from foriegn schools or 'lesser' schools and really terrible doctors from 'great' schools. So, really, you aren't going to get great letters and are less likely do to well in medical school if you pick a place you hate simply because it has a name.

Originally posted by roja

I think we're saying the same thing. For US grads at most schools for most specialties, it won't matter much. At a few schools, it may help get you an interview but by no means will get you into residency. I just like to add a word of caution for foreign schools b/c many people on SDN seem to look into them.

BTW the forum was at ACEP, can't remember all the programs there--6-7 about. Included San diego, northwestern, highland.

Foreign schools.. just be sure to go to a school with a good reputation and good track record at getting people into residencies.

But yeah.. good doctors come from all walks of life and all tiers of medical schools. Not everyone who can memorize copious amounts of information easily is cut out to be a good doctor. And not everyone who failed to do so in undergrad was not meant to be a great doctor.

Originally posted by TTSD
Foreign schools.. just be sure to go to a school with a good reputation and good track record at getting people into residencies.

You have to look a bit deeper at the track record though. SGU is supposed to be the best in the Caribbean and definitely places a lot of people in good programs, but you have to remember that there;s some 400 people that start there each yr (2 semesters I've heard). Some great success stories, but pretty hard work to distinguish yourself from what I've heard from friends, acquaintances. Also some programs will flat out not consider you as an FMG (or even a DO) so your chances at an academic or higher tier place, or staying in a limited geographical area for residency are greatly diminished--not snuffed out, but diminished for sure. I also know residents who made it back for residency but then couldn't get a fellowship out of a community hospital IM prog. Totally unfair because they're awesome residents, but unfortunately true. If it were me, I would reapply before going the FMG route, but I don't mind taking my time and I'm lazy enough that I couldn't bear the pressure of having to distinguish myself in such a big class. Of course, people have their own considerations and I totally respect that--I just wanted to share my anecdotal experience.

Originally posted by ramster
At the end of the day, does it really matter where everyone studies medicine; I was talking to a few doctors the other day, including my uncle, and they compared it to wearing a pair of jeans: you could put on a pair of versace jeans or a pair of levis, but both will cover your ass when you step outside your house.

If all you want to do is cover your ass, go to any med school and hire a really good lawyer once you graduate.

Originally posted by ewing
If all you want to do is cover your ass, go to any med school and hire a really good lawyer once you graduate.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: