Does it matter where you go?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

john le

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am trying to decide whether I should go to UOP pre-pharm (2+3) or should I just get a B.S. somewhere else then apply to several pharmacy schools. I am wondering if it really matters where someone gets their PharmD from. Will a PharmD from any pharmacy school prove to be competitive in the job market? I really want to know because I am not sure graduating earlier is better with respect to the school of choice. thank you for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Dude if you're accepted to UOP's program, consider yourself made. Just be happy with that cus all you really need is your degree and that's it! You're taking a chance if you decide to apply outside of that.

i agree with the above poster and besides, UOP is a pretty good school...no need to worry about your employer questioning your ability when they look at where you graduated from

Members don't see this ad :)
Just think about it, no matter where you go - you'll still have to pass the NAPLEX just like everyone else.

It doesn't matter at all. Just pass the naplex and the MJPE , get your licence and you will have a job

man...if I could go to UOP's 5 year plan, life would be so much easier.

It depends on what your goals are. If you get your B.S before going to pharm school, you'll have a chance to learn about more topics that you might not learn in pharmacy school which could be useful for your life...but then again, it depends on what your goals are in life.:)

If you got into UOP 2+3, pat yourself on the back because you are going to be doing what you want and getting paid very well for it at age 23!!! assuming you are coming right out of high school! 23 and making 100k+?!?! Unless you do not think the accelerated format is something you can handle, hit the ground running and head to UOP! I thought me getting out of Pharmacy school at 26 was young.
Sorry to babble, it is just crazy to think that you can have a doctorate at 23 and be counseling patients. Lucky!

thank you everyone for responding. I just have a few questions left about UOP's program. Which is actually accelerated, the 2 years prior to professional pharmacy or both? And do you guys think accelerating it to the point where someone would graduate 3 years earlier than another person at a different school is an advantageous aspect later on in the job field? I really think that when it gets to the point where its too much to handle, there would be less emphasis on understanding the subject and more focus on just cramming and getting good grades, which is why I am considering the 3+3 instead, which a UOP counselor told me relaxes your schedule greatly and furthermore can get you a B.S. in biology.

The pharm school you choose matters little to none.

Everything will be accelerated in that program, especially getting a B.S. in 3 years and a PharmD. in another 3 years both of which usually take 4. If I were you I would do the 2+3, as was said, you will have a doctorate at 23. Of course you have to be sure this is what you want to do and that you can handle it, you don't want to end up in the wasteland of pre-prof students where so many I've known end up.

As far as advantageous in the job market I couldn't say, I am sure there are pros and cons of hiring super young gifted people, but I have never had to hire anyone so I could not say.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/member.php?u=119785

The only caveat (is that how the word is supposed to be used??? :D ) is you may not get to experience the "real college" life. I have a buddy who went straight to the UOP 5 yr program from high school and she finished her residency 2 yrs ago. She could've gone to any UC (or even Stanford) with her high school stat's. Sure she is living in a nice place, flat screen tv's everywhere, nice jewelry, and a beautiful big LOAN payment every month....at the age of 25 now.

But she regret not having the real college life everyone else had. I went to a UC for school and she wish she could've had half the experiences I've had. That's when I told her I wish I had her status and life complete at age 23!

But she regret not having the real college life everyone else had. I went to a UC for school and she wish she could've had half the experiences I've had.

Yea, that's kinda like me. I'll be going to pharmacy school in the fall @ USN [3 year program] @ the age of 20. Talk about no college life.. I'm always studying while my friends are out partying. Doesn't help the fact that I go to ASU [the top party school of the nation]. Perhaps my big move to Vegas will allow me to live a little. Anyone want to join me on my power hour when I turn 21 in Vegas? :smuggrin: