Does it mean anything if you get an email from a school about applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drcrabber

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got an email from MCW starting off with " The Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) recently received, from the AAMC,
your MCAT results from the 2008 winter/spring test dates. We are very
pleased that you are considering pursuing a medical education. Allow me
to briefly introduce to the Medical College of Wisconsin." Then, they go on about their school.

Does it mean anything if you receive emails like this? I mean, as much as I'd like to believe them, I'm retaking my MCAT since I got a 26R (8, 10, 8) the first time lol. Why would they be interested? Perhaps I should waive the BS flag?

Members don't see this ad.

:)

Last edited:
It's meaningless. They know nothing about you and aren't hard up for applicants. Your chances there are the same whether or not you got such an email. They probably send that email to everyone who took the MCAT, or who scored in a certain range, or who filled out the demographics section a certain way, etc. They want you to apply because the more applications they get the more application fees they get, the more competitive they can say they are when they reject more people, etc. So it neither helps or hurts you. It's basically just advertising.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's meaningless. They know nothing about you and aren't hard up for applicants. Your chances there are the same whether or not you got such an email. They probably send that email to everyone who took the MCAT, or who scored in a certain range, or who filled out the demographics section a certain way, etc. They want you to apply because the more applications they get the more application fees they get, the more competitive they can say they are when they reject more people, etc. So it neither helps or hurts you. It's basically just advertising.

Agree. If you're a minority this could be the reason as well. I got a bunch of these last year, and a few of the schools didn't even send secondaries. It upset me a bit as these were schools I would have had no reason to apply to if they hadn't "encouraged" me to apply. Seems borderline unethical, and an easy way to swindle some premeds out of app fees, but whatever.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree. If you're a minority this could be the reason as well. I got a bunch of these last year, and a few of the schools didn't even send secondaries. It upset me a bit as these were schools I would have had no reason to apply to if they hadn't "encouraged" me to apply. Seems borderline unethical, and an easy way to swindle some premeds out of app fees, but whatever.

You'll also get the same kind of emailings from the armed forces, from caribbean schools, from pod schools, from SMPs. The MCAT is simply a good source for targeted mailing solicitations. I don't think it has much to do with swindling, just bulk mailing. If you convince yourself that you are "special" because you get such an email, you are swindling yourself.

i got that e-mail too. then they went on to say since I was a Wisconsin resident, I should defintely look into the school (...I've lived in Ohio my whole life)

I got a couple of those after my MCAT... and it is far from a sure thing at Wash U (who sent me emails).

Ok. I couldn't have said it better.

Yeah... I got some of these e-mails this morning too... My initial reaction was to be pissed. It has to be said, I didn't read the waivers very carefully when I took the MCAT, but I didn't realize that my scores would be available to any and all institutions that wished to see them... and also my contact information.

haha, it's funny because I just got another one - this time from SLU.

" Dear Prospective Applicant,

Saint Louis University School of Medicine encourages applications from
students who have achieved a high level of academic performance and who
manifest in their personal lives those human qualities compatible with a
career of service to society. The University's mission statement affirms
the value of a diverse educational environment to prepare students for
life and work in a global society. Beyond the important objective of
training competent physicians who are scholars of human biology, the
School strives to graduate physicians who manifest in their personal and
professional attitudes that reflect the Jesuit spirit and values, and
affect the physician's interactions with patients and colleagues, and
with society.

For more information about the school, please visit our web site:
http://medschool.slu.edu/admissions."

too bad I already turned in my school list to my adviser! the funny thing is Wisconsin and SLU were like the only schools within my range that I planned NOT to apply to. I could give my adviser an updated list with those on it, though. hmmm, I don't know? I'm sending out my AMCAS next week, so I have some time to decide. I already have 18 other schools on my list...what do you guys think?

hahaha, SLU requires you to send them a pic! they're sooo shallow! (lol, my premed committee makes us give them a pic anyways, so every school of mine will receive one. it's just funny SLU REQUIRES one).

hahaha, SLU requires you to send them a pic! they're sooo shallow! (lol, my premed committee makes us give them a pic anyways, so every school of mine will receive one. it's just funny SLU REQUIRES one).

As you actually start filling out secondary applications, you'll find that quite a few schools will ask for pictures. I applied almost exclusively to top 20-30 schools and at least half wanted a photo.

Also, the MCW email goes out to all WI residents who took the MCAT and probably some other students besides.

Members don't see this ad :)
Close enough. They both say "pop" instead of "soda", so it's the same place in my book.

It's just "Coke" in the south... dr. pepper is coke... sprite is coke... fanta is coke. Strange...

As you actually start filling out secondary applications, you'll find that quite a few schools will ask for pictures. I applied almost exclusively to top 20-30 schools and at least half wanted a photo.

Also, the MCW email goes out to all WI residents who took the MCAT and probably some other students besides.

oh yea...i'm out-of-state. their email mentioned how half of their students are from OOS, showing me they are OOS-friendly. i don't want to spend 4 years in Wisconsin, no thanks!

You'll also get the same kind of emailings from the armed forces, from caribbean schools, from pod schools, from SMPs. The MCAT is simply a good source for targeted mailing solicitations. I don't think it has much to do with swindling, just bulk mailing. If you convince yourself that you are "special" because you get such an email, you are swindling yourself.

Agreed. I am about to begin MS3 and I still get e-mails from Caribbean schools once every other month or so. I think about it, realize I'm already in medical school, and then hit the "report spam" button.

Caribbean School: "Just in case you weren't aware from the 785 other times we've e-mailed you, we have a spot open just for you! You can come and sit in the sand and dip your feet in the water while studying medicine! We let you do your surgery rotation ACTUALLY ON THE BEACH!"

Me: "Hey that sounds like a really good deal... wait a minute! Haha, pretty good Caribbean school, you almost got me that time! <Chuckles> You're getting better every time! <SPAM>"

Yeah, I'm in a neighboring state so I'm sure they sent that email to all MCAT/AMCAS submitted applicants who live in a neighboring state that email.

I got an email from MCW starting off with " The Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) recently received, from the AAMC,
to briefly introduce to the Medical College of Wisconsin." Then, they go on about their school.

Does it mean anything if you receive emails like this? I mean, as much as I'd like to believe them, I'm retaking my MCAT since I got a 26R (8, 10, 8) the first time lol. Why would they be interested? Perhaps I should waive the BS flag?

I got two of these (for being a URM) and both invited me to interview.

I got two of these (for being a URM) and both invited me to interview.

really....hmm interesting. i don't know then.

i'm from the midwest but definitely nowhere close to wisconsin, so i don't neighbor them or anywhere close to it haha. i didn't even fill out the ethnicity and race info when I signed up for the MCAT, but my name definitely shows i'm Middle Eastern. i don't think that's considered URM by any means, tho, so I have no idea.

I got that same email last year so I added MCW to my list. Paid the secondary fee and they were one of the first schools to reject me. :mad: Its an ego boost thinking that a school actually wants you to apply there, but what they really want is your $$$.

Funniest letter I ever received from an undergraduate college started out something like this:

"Congratulations! Based on your superb academic record, you have been accepted to -*-*- state school. Please fill out the following paperwork..."

Funny because I never APPLIED.

May -*-*-'s medical school please accept me in the same manner ;-)

It's a form of advertisement. Only apply if you are sure of matriculating, even if that were the only acceptance you got.

My guess is that they want you to apply so they can send you a secondary application which you return with a secondary application fee that they keep when they send you the rejection letter.

i emailed MCW this morning about the letter, and they get back to me pretty promptly.

Yeah, I was really confused too since I knew the 24th is when my app gets sent out. This is also my first time applying, so I figured I would send a "thank you" email. Both the Wisconsin schools then said they would be sending me secondaries in a few weeks.... so figured I would post all that good stuff here.