General Admissions & OTCAS Does it truly matter where I go to undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kaitlyn.w0009

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I'm planning on applying to colleges soon, however there is no way I can afford to go out of state (I'm in Florida )or to prestigious universities, although I do have the grades to get in. It's just too far and the aid they're willing to offer is not enough. After undergrad, I'm planning to go to OT school. Does it truly matter where I attend college as long as my grades keep up? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it does. If I could go back, I would have attended a state school honestly. Just do well in your classes (especially prereqs), get in a good amount of volunteer and shadowing hours, and make yourself stand out in any way you can. You can also look into 5 year bachelor/masters programs!

Members don't see this ad :)
When I was applying, schools told me they didn't care if my prerequisites came from a 4 year college or community college, as long as they fulfilled the requirements. So, as long as you complete your bachelors, I'd say it doesn't really matter. Just make sure it is accredited.

You may want to look to see if 5 year programs are feasible for you if you already know you want to do OT. Could save you a couple years of school!

I go to Jefferson and have people in my program from public in-state non-flagships who started off at community college (like me) to others who went to prestigious liberal arts colleges. I'm personally glad I ended up spending more on grad than undergrad, but it would have been mine to have spent less on grad as well. ;)

Anyway, you're quite lucky that Florida has multiple in state options for grad schools!

Not at all. Go the cheapest route. Just make sure it's accredited.