Does LECOM at Bradenton actually have a 98% First Time pass rate for the COMLEX Level 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GAMING4FUNN

Reaction score
I found this link recently and was surprised that LECOM Bradenton was ranked #1 in terms of the highest percentage for First Time Pass rates for the COMLEX Level 1. Let me know what you think?

Members don't see this ad.

Most schools are moving toward requiring you to pass an in-class practice COMLEX and if you don't pass you cant take it. Apparently, LECOM-B has been doing that for a long time.

The best way to think about this is- who cares? People who didn't pass when I was in school were either those who spent too much time texting, at the bar or hosting house parties. They were constantly cramming last minute in the first years and were holding on by a thread. I am not saying these people deserved to fail, just that they probably had it coming. There was one guy who legit failed because he just couldnt get it, he then failed COMLEX 2 first time....and STILL ended up graduating in our class.

These first pass stats mean little to nothing to the individual. Work hard, study from DAY ONE and you'll be fine.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Data from that long ago is, well, stale.
Obviously we can't get a complete picture but judging from the pass percentage trends over the years where do you believe LECOM Bradenton sits in the ranking now?

LECOM-B 2019 grad here. Yes that sounds accurate. The admin really prided themselves over their pass rate and average comlex and USMLE scores.

Reactions: 1 user
LECOM-B 2019 grad here. Yes that sounds accurate. The admin really prided themselves over their pass rate and average comlex and USMLE scores.

Thanks for the response. I was just curious because there are many people hounding the PBL learning format. But those numbers show that the PBL format does indeed work very very well. If you don't, where did you get the USLME data from? I couldn't find it any where on their web page.

Thanks for the response. I was just curious because there are many people hounding the PBL learning format. But those numbers show that the PBL format does indeed work very very well. If you don't, where did you get the USLME data from? I couldn't find it any where on their web page.

I don’t think it’s something they can advertise or publish. We had a class meeting after we took the boards and they showed us the trend of average scores of the school for the past 4 years. LECOM is not the only school that utilizes PBL. I think it does work, I felt like I had more freedom and more flexibility to focus on my weaknesses. You will also find grads from LECOM-B who will say that it doesn’t work. Moral of the story - every student is different and they need to identify how they learn best.

Not really just shows that it works just as well as the traditional format. The pass rate is not the same as the score. If LECOM-B had scores above the national average consistently, then it would be a different story, ultimately it is whatever works best for you as a student go with that

Not really just shows that it works just as well as the traditional format. The pass rate is not the same as the score. If LECOM-B had scores above the national average consistently, then it would be a different story, ultimately it is whatever works best for you as a student go with that

I agree that we don't see what the raw average scores are, however, with data indicating they are ranked #1 for highest first time pass rates shows that most people pass and many students are probably scoring well above average.

Lets say a schools first time pass rate is 85% that means although 85% did pass, a good portion of the bottom 5% or 10% could have been borderline passing. Additionally with such a poor first time pass rate, the average trend (We can assume) were low overall raw scores which led to the 85% pass rate. How can you have a 85% first time pass rate with MANY students doing phenomenally well?

I am looking at the 98% pass rate from Bradenton from that lens. With a 98% it indicates that perhaps MANY students indeed perform well above the average.

• Love
The best way to think about this is- who cares? People who didn't pass when I was in school were either those who spent too much time texting, at the bar or hosting house parties. They were constantly cramming last minute in the first years and were holding on by a thread. I am not saying these people deserved to fail, just that they probably had it coming. There was one guy who legit failed because he just couldnt get it, he then failed COMLEX 2 first time....and STILL ended up graduating in our class.

These first pass stats mean little to nothing to the individual. Work hard, study from DAY ONE and you'll be fine.
Basically came here to say this. Your ability to pass boards has a lot more to do with the individual. I think people who want to do PBL are probably more motivated than the average student. So in a way, the school selects people very well for these results.