Dr McSexy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Some do some don't. Depends on the school.

Oxer45

10+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
If so, typically when does this occur
Med school typically requires so much dedication and time commitment that you wont be able to finish it with a drug habit. Instead of worrying about when they test, try to end your habit.

FYI: 2 times: 1. start of med school (although rarely done, but those that do sometimes use hair) 2. Before clinical rotations at hospitals.

OP
medicalman123

medicalman123

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2012
Status
Med school typically requires so much dedication and time commitment that you wont be able to finish it with a drug habit. Instead of worrying about when they test, try to end your habit.

FYI: 2 times: 1. start of med school (although rarely done, but those that do sometimes use hair) 2. Before clinical rotations at hospitals.
Appreciate the advice

auburnO5

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2008
Status
Medical Student

.1% of this post is true

Slack3r

Sicker than your average
10+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2008
Most schools don't, although pretty much all will background check you.

Jul 19, 2010
Old Swampy
Status
Medical Student

You must be at Loma Linda

SpecterGT260

Catdoucheus
5+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2012
Status
Medical Student

Your sarcasm organ might be broken

dr zaius

10+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Seems highly school dependent. Ask a current student. We were drug tested last month for third year.

bad virus

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
I had to pee in a cup twice. One for a 3rd year rotation at one of our private hospitals, and now for my 4th year away.

Feb 17, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Never had to do a single drug test in medical school.

KnuxNole

Sweets Addict
10+ Year Member
May 3, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Just plan ahead and don't worry bout it :)

dr zaius

10+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
We were told about the drug test a few months ahead of time. It was more or less a test of intelligence.

link2swim06

10+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Yep prior to orientation.

Even one school I didnt end up going to made me do an alcohol test. Not sure why proving I can abstain for 24 hours from a legal beverage was required...but it was...

NickNaylor

Thank You for Smoking
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
May 22, 2008
Deep in the heart of Texas
Status
Attending Physician
We didn't get tested prior to matriculation. Ironically, however, a classmate wanted to do some kind of volunteering project with the hospital and had to be tested (as a volunteer). I imagine testing is fair game during the clinical years but highly unlikely during the pre-clinicals.

badasshairday

Vascular and Interventional Radiology
10+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Getting stoned for a few hours and risking your career isn't worth it.

Some programs/schools are moving to hair tests which can detect illicit drugs for months.

Legal substances are ok, obviously in moderation. Marijuana is not legal. You may not agree with it. But it is what it is.

jumpmanv15

5+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2012
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Getting stoned for a few hours and risking your career isn't worth it.

Some programs/schools are moving to hair tests which can detect illicit drugs for months.

Legal substances are ok, obviously in moderation. If one day marijuana becomes legal... then go ahead, but for now it is not worth it at all.
That is true but I would have to say certain individuals I know may not have gotten as far as they have without it. ;)

Slack3r

Sicker than your average
10+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2008
Yep prior to orientation.

Even one school I didnt end up going to made me do an alcohol test. Not sure why proving I can abstain for 24 hours from a legal beverage was required...but it was...
Lol, was it Loma Linda?

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician

And 3. Pretty much every residency and fellowship is going to test you within a couple of weeks before you start. Probably a good idea to stay clean if you want to take this path.

Dec 21, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
Never been tested, though the hospital I'm doing rotations at is implementing a no-hire policy toward smokers (yes, they're urine-testing for cotinine). Our school, on the other hand, seems to care more about whether we've had our yearly PPDs/flu shots than if we've been getting drunk/high.

whoknows2012

10+ Year Member
May 15, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Drug tested once for a 4th yr away. Highly variable depending on school, where you do your clinical rotations and if/where you do 4th yr aways. Mount Sinai for example, compared to columbia, cornell, NSLIJ, AECOM, NYU, required a UTOX while the others didn't. In terms of prior to residency starting I'd probably abstain for several months just in case, although, I know many residency programs that don't drug test.

smq123

John William Waterhouse
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
In terms of prior to residency starting I'd probably abstain for several months just in case, although, I know many residency programs that don't drug test.
Which ones?

Almost all that I know of do. Mine just did a routine urine test, but my boyfriend's actually required a hair test. I didn't believe him, until he rolled up his shirt sleeve and showed me his shaved armpit, because the hair on his head wasn't long enough for a sample.

tantacles

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Which ones?

Almost all that I know of do. Mine just did a routine urine test, but my boyfriend's actually required a hair test. I didn't believe him, until he rolled up his shirt sleeve and showed me his shaved armpit, because the hair on his head wasn't long enough for a sample.
I was under the impression that they often use pubic hair.

D elegans

5+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2011
Flyover Country
Status
Resident [Any Field]
My school did test pre-matriculation.

Not sure about the one you mentioned. But I would play it safe. You never know when a "new policy" will spring into play.