Does med school drug test???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicalman123

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If so, typically when does this occur

Members don't see this ad.

Some do some don't. Depends on the school.

If so, typically when does this occur

Med school typically requires so much dedication and time commitment that you wont be able to finish it with a drug habit. Instead of worrying about when they test, try to end your habit.

FYI: 2 times: 1. start of med school (although rarely done, but those that do sometimes use hair) 2. Before clinical rotations at hospitals.

Members don't see this ad :)
Med school typically requires so much dedication and time commitment that you wont be able to finish it with a drug habit. Instead of worrying about when they test, try to end your habit.

FYI: 2 times: 1. start of med school (although rarely done, but those that do sometimes use hair) 2. Before clinical rotations at hospitals.

Appreciate the advice

.1% of this post is true

Reactions: 2 users

You must be at Loma Linda

Your sarcasm organ might be broken

I had to pee in a cup twice. One for a 3rd year rotation at one of our private hospitals, and now for my 4th year away.

Never had to do a single drug test in medical school.

Just plan ahead and don't worry bout it :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok thanks. I've heard what I needed to hear.

Yep prior to orientation.

Even one school I didnt end up going to made me do an alcohol test. Not sure why proving I can abstain for 24 hours from a legal beverage was required...but it was...

We didn't get tested prior to matriculation. Ironically, however, a classmate wanted to do some kind of volunteering project with the hospital and had to be tested (as a volunteer). I imagine testing is fair game during the clinical years but highly unlikely during the pre-clinicals.

We had random and not-so-random testing during clinical years.

Getting stoned for a few hours and risking your career isn't worth it.

Some programs/schools are moving to hair tests which can detect illicit drugs for months.

Legal substances are ok, obviously in moderation. Marijuana is not legal. You may not agree with it. But it is what it is.

Getting stoned for a few hours and risking your career isn't worth it.

Some programs/schools are moving to hair tests which can detect illicit drugs for months.

Legal substances are ok, obviously in moderation. If one day marijuana becomes legal... then go ahead, but for now it is not worth it at all.

That is true but I would have to say certain individuals I know may not have gotten as far as they have without it. ;)

And 3. Pretty much every residency and fellowship is going to test you within a couple of weeks before you start. Probably a good idea to stay clean if you want to take this path.

Never been tested, though the hospital I'm doing rotations at is implementing a no-hire policy toward smokers (yes, they're urine-testing for cotinine). Our school, on the other hand, seems to care more about whether we've had our yearly PPDs/flu shots than if we've been getting drunk/high.

Drug tested once for a 4th yr away. Highly variable depending on school, where you do your clinical rotations and if/where you do 4th yr aways. Mount Sinai for example, compared to columbia, cornell, NSLIJ, AECOM, NYU, required a UTOX while the others didn't. In terms of prior to residency starting I'd probably abstain for several months just in case, although, I know many residency programs that don't drug test.

In terms of prior to residency starting I'd probably abstain for several months just in case, although, I know many residency programs that don't drug test.

Which ones?

Almost all that I know of do. Mine just did a routine urine test, but my boyfriend's actually required a hair test. I didn't believe him, until he rolled up his shirt sleeve and showed me his shaved armpit, because the hair on his head wasn't long enough for a sample.

Which ones?

Almost all that I know of do. Mine just did a routine urine test, but my boyfriend's actually required a hair test. I didn't believe him, until he rolled up his shirt sleeve and showed me his shaved armpit, because the hair on his head wasn't long enough for a sample.

I was under the impression that they often use pubic hair.

Is it common for schools to drug test pre-matriculation? Anyone know if EVMS or NYMC does?

My school did test pre-matriculation.

Not sure about the one you mentioned. But I would play it safe. You never know when a "new policy" will spring into play.