Does Medical School Care if you Teach Kaplan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adqnn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys!

I am applying to medical school next year. I currently do not have any research under my belt and very few clinical hours. I have a 3.9 and 35 on my MCAT and am currently training to teach Kaplan. Now is it worth it to teach if i feel i am deficient in those other ECs? Do medical schools even care if you are an instructor?

Thanks for any input!

AK

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Guys!

I am applying to medical school next year. I currently do not have any research under my belt and very few clinical hours. I have a 3.9 and 35 on my MCAT and am currently training to teach Kaplan. Now is it worth it to teach if i feel i am deficient in those other ECs? Do medical schools even care if you are an instructor?

Thanks for any input!

AK

Yes but clinical experience is a MUST no matter your stats. I would try to get some before you apply, teaching Kaplan is nice but no where near as important as clinical experience.

Not worth it IMO. Focus this other time on clinical experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think teaching Kaplan would have some, but few positives. I think any form of teaching is a good thing, as it takes confidence and shows leadership. It being Kaplan versus University teaching wouldn't offer any specific bonuses. However, teaching a Kaplan course doesn't really require you to asses anyone's skill in the normal fashion, and the students aren't forced to be there, so you're only teaching the ones that want to be there. Teaching a bunch of kids that dont care is much more frustrating (Keep in mind my view might be biased by my own teaching experiences). All in all, if Kaplan in anyway keeps you from doing clinical work, get out of there.

Kaplan has only come up in 1 of my interviews this year and I used it as an example of my interest in education. The interviewer's wife used to work at Kaplan, so he said he understood, but that was about it.

I wouldn't call it a really good EC, unless you use it to show how much you enjoy teaching.