Do medical schools care about where you went for undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

john7991

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does it matter where you went for undergrad?

Will medical schools care if you went to a low ranking undergrad but still performed well and did everything you could to get in?

Does undergrad matter for the top medical schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your goal is to get into A med school, not a merely a top one.

Also strongly suggest that you stop this unhealthy obsession with the Really Top Schools and uber-specialties.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Does it matter where you went for undergrad?

Will medical schools care if you went to a low ranking undergrad but still performed well and did everything you could to get in?

Does undergrad matter for the top medical schools?
Going to the school with the better fit for you would be more important. If you go to a school that is way harder to get good grades that will give you a slight bump in desirability if you can do as well as expected (3.7+ 512+). To get that slight bump you will have to put in way more work at a harder school than you would need to going to an easier school. You will have less time to pad your application with ECs and will be hard to do something stable such as getting a clinical job. I went to a harder school and it wasn't worth it. Profs used crappy tactics to drop their averages just for the sake of having low averages and then curving and competing against people cheating their way through college.

Reactions: 2 users
Stop being obsessed with things like top grades, top medical school. Grades, school and major are important, but not as important what motivates you to become a good doctor.
Most important thing is for you to be a well rounded doctor who you will be happy doing for the rest of your life. A few of my friends chose surgery for specialty based on how they performed well on board scores and in med school, only to hate the specialty after a few weeks during residency and ended up switching to something else(ended up wasting a year of their life). My point is just because you had went to top school, got 4.0 GPA from harvard does not mean that you will be a good doctor.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Really depends on the medical school. I’ve been to some interviews where it seems like everybody went to an Ivy or Ivy equivalent. For others, I’ll it seems like most people either went to the school for undergrad or a nearby school.

I think that it matters much less now than it did even ten or fifteen years ago based on what I’ve read about schools like Brown (apparently up until like 2000, they only let students from brown and a few other schools apply)