MD & DO Does medical school give extra loans for child support? Mother is mentally unstable for custody?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saga0101

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not in this situation, but its just an interesting question and a "what it".

I assume the law/medical school wouldn't kick someone out due to having to pay child support after matriculating. I'm not sure if they would give you more loans if you had to pay for child support (assuming zero custody)?

Also, wondering if custody would be forced to be the father's if mother was clinically considered "unstable" to be a parent.

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not in this situation, but its just an interesting question and a "what it".

I assume the law/medical school wouldn't kick someone out due to having to pay child support after matriculating. I'm not sure if they would give you more loans if you had to pay for child support (assuming zero custody)?

Also, wondering if custody would be forced to be the father's if mother was clinically considered "unstable" to be a parent.

thanks.

Is this in case your 8 forms of birth control fail plus your anti-responsibility contract doesn’t hold up?

I would guess that child support wouldn’t be too much if you have zero income.

Reactions: 14 users
Is this in case your 8 forms of birth control fail plus your anti-responsibility contract doesn’t hold up?

Haha ya, I was just curious. I felt comfortable after asking her about everything. She showed me pills and takes them daily, seems responsible. Says she would consider abortion if by off chance it happened.

However, I also learned she may be clinically unstable (she has been diagnosed with a mentally unstable disease), and wondered how that would influence custody if she was actually considered "too mentally unstable for child upbringing".

In addition to that, if medical schools offer more loans for child support. Also If medical schools or the law wants to "kick you out for such a situation out of school".

Members don't see this ad :)
Getting extra money for financial aid is easy once you have a legitimate reason. I personally know 2 mothers who received additional aid for childcare purposes. So, I guess the same would go for child support. Although, on the other hand, finaid isn’t taxable. I seriously doubt the courts could order payment of child support during those 4 years, but who knows. Crazier, and more illogical things have already been done

Reactions: 1 users
Getting extra money for financial aid is easy once you have a legitimate reason. I personally know 2 mothers who received additional aid for childcare purposes. So, I guess the same would go for child support. Although, on the other hand, finaid isn’t taxable. I seriously doubt the courts could order payment of child support during those 4 years, but who knows. Crazier, and more illogical things have already been done

Ok sounds reasonable. Do you think courts would order the father custody if they found the mother to clinically unstable to be the caregiver (only saying this because apparently she takes medication for a fairly serious mental disorder that was diagnosed clinically).

Ok sounds reasonable. Do you think courts would order the father custody if they found the mother to clinically unstable to be the caregiver (only saying this because apparently she takes medication for a fairly serious mental disorder that was diagnosed clinically).
Are you trying to get custody? Or avoid being forced to have custody?

After your last thread - MD & DO - Friends with benefits/Early relationsip, Medical school, and Legal documents

...I'm surprised your account hasn't been banned or put on hold. In my humble opinion: "obvious troll is obvious". I'm honestly a bit in shock people engaged in real conversation with you for 3 pages. Your ludicrous reasoning and dragging-on of this same subject make it quite clear to me that you're not looking for real advice.

In the off chance you just lack social competence then let me be the one to tell you that SDN is absolutely not the place to come for legal advice.

Reactions: 6 users
Most schools allow an increase in cost of attendance if you have dependents that require daycare, etc.. (I think child support was on there too actually). This allows you to take out more student loans beyond the traditional student. Just to answer your question.

I assume this is the case anyway. I've been to two schools, one private and one public, and both utilized this and I took advantage of it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Most schools allow an increase in cost of attendance if you have dependents that require daycare, etc.. (I think child support was on there too actually). This allows you to take out more student loans beyond the traditional student. Just to answer your question.

I assume this is the case anyway. I've been to two schools, one private and one public, and both utilized this and I took advantage of it.

Thanks. Its good to know most schools offer extra loans for child support, etc.

Law wouldn't require someone to ever drop out of medical school due to a child support situation without a marriage, correct?

Thanks. Its good to know most schools offer extra loans for child support, etc.

Law wouldn't require someone to ever drop out of medical school due to a child support situation without a marriage, correct?
No. Law can't force you to quit college or a job.

Reactions: 3 users

Can law prevent you from going from a job where you're paying child support to voluntarily quitting to attend something like medical school? (Not my scenario at all, but curious).

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol this thread had no steam 3/10. You triggered us on the first one, this one is not that good

Reactions: 5 users
Lol this thread had no steam 3/10. You triggered us on the first one, this one is not that good

I don't think there's anything wrong with preparing for worst case scenarios. I have a journal with back up plans for:

1. If my car breaks down
2. If I get ill
3. list of plan B's if I wasn't accepted to med school/or if I fail out or something
4. back up phone plan if my iPhone breaks
5. back up plan if I had to leave my current apartment

and so much more.

One of those things just includes this scenario. Even if unlikely, I like to have things planned and mapped out. I'm actually surprised at the amount of people that don't plan for worst case scenarios.

The last major question in this thread I care about, is what happens with child custody if the mother is considered "clinically unstable and can't care for child", and "father is in medical school", then would the father be obligated to custody?

lol, the insane judges definitely can. There are tens of thousands of men in jail as we speak for "contempt of court" for not paying child support fees, in many instances due to having income below that which a judge rules they should have. Here is an article from the failing NYT if you don't believe me. A judge can definitely order you to come up with $xxx per month in child support payments based on the premise that as an able bodied man, $xxx is an amount you should be able to come up with. How you go about coming up with the money is not the judge's concern, if you have to entirely disrupt your life by quitting school to do it then that's what you have to do, otherwise jail awaits.

Skip Child Support. Go to Jail. Lose Job. Repeat.

Never marry under any circumstances in this country, and if you have the urge to knock someone up think long and hard about the consequences. In America there will be a Sword of Damocles hanging over your head on a string the moment you do either of these actions as a man, with your "significant other" holding the scissors. It's kind of unavoidable if you want to have children here, but there is absolutely never an excuse to be a ******* and enter into the marriage contract, particularly as a high earner.

I don't think there's anything wrong with preparing for worst case scenarios. I have a journal with back up plans for:

1. If my car breaks down
2. If I get ill
3. list of plan B's if I wasn't accepted to med school/or if I fail out or something

and so much more.

One of those things just includes this scenario. Even if unlikely, I like to have things planned and mapped out. I'm actually surprised at the amount of people that don't plan for worst case scenarios.

The last major question in this thread I care about, is what happens with child custody if the mother is considered "clinically unstable and can't care for child", and "father is in medical school", then would the father be obligated to custody?
You sure have a...different kind of personality :laugh:

It’s not easy if the reason isn’t in the fafsa policy (and child care is)

1. If my car breaks down
2. If I get ill

and so much more.

ocd

xK1wGft.jpg

lol, the insane judges definitely can. There are tens of thousands of men in jail as we speak for "contempt of court" for not paying child support fees, in many instances due to having income below that which a judge rules they should have. Here is an article from the failing NYT if you don't believe me. A judge can definitely order you to come up with $xxx per month in child support payments based on the premise that as an able bodied man, $xxx is an amount you should be able to come up with. How you go about coming up with the money is not the judge's concern, if you have to entirely disrupt your life by quitting school to do it then that's what you have to do, otherwise jail awaits.

Skip Child Support. Go to Jail. Lose Job. Repeat.

Never marry under any circumstances in this country, and if you have the urge to knock someone up think long and hard about the consequences. In America there will be a Sword of Damocles hanging over your head on a string the moment you do either of these actions as a man, with your "significant other" holding the scissors. It's kind of unavoidable if you want to have children here, but there is absolutely never an excuse to be a ******* and enter into the marriage contract, particularly as a high earner.
You sound like a winner.

Do you have an infinity paged journal? Just curious how you plan for every possible scenario that could ever happen

1. If my car breaks down
2. If I get ill

and so much more.

Reactions: 2 users

1. If my car breaks down
2. If I get ill

and so much more.

this is healthy

Next thread by OP: How to hide body of my pregnant gf that I 'accidentally' murdered.

Reactions: 10 users
It’s not easy if the reason isn’t in the fafsa policy (and child care is)
Regardless, I have never heard of someone being denied. The finaid guys usually do all they can to grant extra money to those who request it. But maybe that’s school specific..

Haha ya, I was just curious. I felt comfortable after asking her about everything. She showed me pills and takes them daily, seems responsible. Says she would consider abortion if by off chance it happened.

However, I also learned she may be clinically unstable (she has been diagnosed with a mentally unstable disease), and wondered how that would influence custody if she was actually considered "too mentally unstable for child upbringing".

In addition to that, if medical schools offer more loans for child support. Also If medical schools or the law wants to "kick you out for such a situation out of school".

Don’t stick your d*ck in crazy

Don’t stick your d*ck in crazy

The reason I decided to date her was because she was one the sweetest, nicest, caring, etc. people I knew (at least to me anyway).

I figured if I'm getting treated like a king, I'll treat her like a queen back and date her.

Obviously, since it is still an early relationship, I was worried a little bit about trust, but it seems like she good with things like birth control, etc. I'm comfortable with all that now.

Then, very recently she told me she takes medication for an extremely rare mental disorder. I'm not talking about mild bipolar, I'm talking about something much more rare. I'm just wondering how courts go about custody if the mother is considered "too mentally unfit to be a caregiver", while the father is in "medical school".

So can law force you to quit medical school to pay for child support or not? I think the answer is "not", even if the judges are a little cooky. I read a lot of the link you posted, and I feel for the guy, but our positions would be much different ( I think).

So can law force you to quit medical school to pay for child support or not? I think the answer is "not", even if the judges are a little cooky. I read a lot of the link you posted, and I feel for the guy, but our positions would be much different ( I think).
Either way, I know single parents in medical school. Which is what you'd be if she lost custody. Hard work, but doable. I do think you should see a psychiatrist. She's not even pregnant and you're stressed about a scenario that's at a minimum 10-12 months from now that's not even likely to happen. AND the scenario can be prevented by something as simple as wearing a condom.

Reactions: 2 users
The reason I decided to date her was because she was one the sweetest, nicest, caring, etc. people I knew (at least to me anyway).

I figured if I'm getting treated like a king, I'll treat her like a queen back and date her.

Obviously, since it is still an early relationship, I was worried a little bit about trust, but it seems like she good with things like birth control, etc. I'm comfortable with all that now.

Then, very recently she told me she takes medication for an extremely rare mental disorder. I'm not talking about mild bipolar, I'm talking about something much more rare. I'm just wondering how courts go about custody if the mother is considered "too mentally unfit to be a caregiver", while the father is in "medical school".

Get out sooner than later, before it gets any harder. If this relationship is already giving you this much anxiety/this many red flags it isn’t healthy

Get out sooner than later, before it gets any harder. If this relationship is already giving you this much anxiety/this many red flags it isn’t healthy
or it's not the relationship but OP

funny thing about relationships is that the one constant in all of them is you, you take yourself into every relationship you have

not sure OP's problem would be solved in another relationship, possibly needs to be single to grow, at the same time we don't grow in having relationships by being single, growing in relationships is always achieved in a relationship, but the right one and the right time

Almost all mental illnesses are rare because they are in the 0.5-1% prevalence range (besides MDD or GAD). I'm curious what is this person's "rare mental disorder" that would render her unfit to be a parent. Necrophilia?

Almost all mental illnesses are rare because they are in the 0.5-1% prevalence range (besides MDD or GAD). I'm curious what is this person's "rare mental disorder" that would render her unfit to be a parent. Necrophilia?
but would necrophilia really render you unfit to be a parent? getting locked up in jail or child neglect while you prowl graveyards notwithstanding

1. If my car breaks down
2. If I get ill

and so much more.

To add to your list of worries, did you know your poorer spouse can make you pay for their divorce lawyer and pay for a forensic psychiatrist to evaluate your parental fitness?

The issue is that this girl has so many of the qualities I really like admire in a significant other. Incredibly rare find. And she genuinely cares, supports, and wants to make my life more enjoyable.

I was worried about her being a little bit younger and about how good she was with keeping her "pills" in check at first. Turns out she seems pretty trustworthy and responsible.

But now, with this complete shocker of her having some extremely rare mental illness (she doesn't show many symptoms and probably wouldn't have ever known, or know for a great while, if she hasn't told me), I'm a little bit more worried about things.

The issue is that this girl has so many of the qualities I really like admire in a significant other. Incredibly rare find. And she genuinely cares, supports, and wants to make my life more enjoyable.

I was worried about her being a little bit younger and about how good she was with keeping her "pills" in check at first. Turns out she seems pretty trustworthy and responsible.

But now, with this complete shocker of her having some extremely rare mental illness (she doesn't show many symptoms and probably wouldn't have ever known, or know for a great while, if she hasn't told me), I'm a little bit more worried about things.
Would you just tell us the diagnosis. You're talking to a community of doctors and premeds/med students. We're all wanting to know how you have a mental illness but don't show any signs. Is that even possible? Seems to me it would be a genetic illness rather than mental if she's never had any symptoms.

It's rare among mental illnesses, and pretty severe (its schizophrenia). As long she is on medication, or maybe even off of it, it could potentially never cause a problem. But I don't know. She says symptoms still mildly persist but it doesn't go away completely. I would feel bad for leaving her, with her genuinely caring, supporting, etc. with me, especially when no issues have actually ever arisen from her mental illness.

Would you just tell us the diagnosis. You're talking to a community of doctors and premeds/med students. We're all wanting to know how you have a mental illness but don't show any signs. Is that even possible? Seems to me it would be a genetic illness rather than mental if she's never had any symptoms.

Very true, there may be psychiatrists here (I've read their posts).

It's schizophrenia. Diagnosed around early teen years.

I also feel its because she feels she is "imperfect", that I think she actually tries to be nicer, caring, sweeter, etc. than most people.

I'm unsure how this really changes things.

Very true, there may be psychiatrists here (I've read their posts).

It's schizophrenia. Diagnosed around early teen years.

I also feel its because she feels she is "imperfect", that I think she actually tries to be nicer, caring, sweeter, etc. than most people.

I'm unsure how this really changes things.
Last I knew that's not a disease you can diagnose with no symptoms. Not like there's a blood test for it... I suggest you worry about right now and perhaps seek another opinion regarding her diagnosis, OR you find out why she's lying to you about never having symptoms.

Last I knew that's not a disease you can diagnose with no symptoms. Not like there's a blood test for it... I suggest you worry about right now and perhaps seek another opinion regarding her diagnosis, OR you find out why she's lying to you about never having symptoms.

I didn't mean that she never had symptoms, I meant that I haven't seen any symptoms or her acting like she has this mental issue.

She told me when she was younger the process she went through to get diagnosed. Seems like a reasonable diagnosis.

Maybe @Stagg737 could give me his take. I know he's an aspiring psychiatrist on here.

schizophrenia is hardly the great white shark of psych dx

I also take a rather grim view of it, but I'll let others chime in here if they want to indulge this thread on the topic

schizophrenia is hardly the great white shark of psych dx

I also take a rather grim view of it, but I'll let others chime in here if they want to indulge this thread on the topic

It's ironic, because I'm not so sure she would be as good as a person "caring, sweet, etc." if it wasn't for the fact she has schiz.

Plus, ending the relationship due to a mental illness that up to this point, hasn't done anything negative, would seem to be extremely distasteful on my end.

"hey sweetie, I know you're supportive, kind, sweet, seemingly intelligent, etc., but because you have shiz. that hasn't negatively influenced any interactions we've had, I don't think you're worth dating".

Seems rather cruel and almost unfounded.

But having physicians take on the subject doesn't hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.