All Branch Topic (ABT) Does military residency count for residency requirement for civilian medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UncleG

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering becoming a Neurologist after medical school. However, I am also looking to go into the Navy for 4 years to pay off student loans. Would the 4 years of residency in the Navy count for the residency requirement? As in, since neurologists need about 6 years of residency, would I be able to complete 4 years of residency in the Navy and then finish off the remaining 2 in civilian medicine or would i need to complete 4 years of Navy service and then 6 in civilian? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I am considering becoming a Neurologist after medical school. However, I am also looking to go into the Navy for 4 years to pay off student loans. Would the 4 years of residency in the Navy count for the residency requirement? As in, since neurologists need about 6 years of residency, would I be able to complete 4 years of residency in the Navy and then finish off the remaining 2 in civilian medicine or would i need to complete 4 years of Navy service and then 6 in civilian? Thank you!

Well...if you do a neurology mil residency then you will be a neurologist and won't need to do a civilian residency. If you do a residency that is not neurology in the military then yes...you will need to do a neurology residency to become a neurologist. You need to do some research on how residency works.

1) Navy and civilian neurology residencies are both 4 years long. If you did a Navy neurology residency you would be a board certified neurologist both in and out of the Navy.

2) Your time in residency does not count against the time you owe in the Navy. If you took a 4 year scholarship, then did a 4 year residency, you would owe them 4 years as a Neurologist at the end of it.

3) The obligation to the military is complicated. It affects your ability to be a neurologist. Before you join you should understand what the military can obligate you to do, how the civilian and military matches work, what a GMO tour is, and the relative financial value of a military and civilian career.

Where are you in the premedical process? Are you a senior? Have you taken the MCAT? Do you have an acceptance? If you're a freshmen I wouldn't worry about this quite yet. If you're about to take a scholarship there's a lot more to go over. If you're about to take an ROTC scholarship, or to enlist, then stop, finish college, and come back when its time to go to medical school. We can talk more about why those are bad ideas if you'd like.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you do neurology residency training in the military, you become a board-eligible neurologist just the same as if you did your training in a civilian residency.

The HPSP carries special obligations and may interfere with your ability to do your full residency immediately following medical school. You may be allowed only a single year of hospital based training following medical school, enough to qualify you to have a medical license, and then be required to serve as a general medical officer first before being permitted to return to finish your residency training. That is one of the main drawbacks of the HPSP "scholarship."

For an accurate and precise understanding of Graduate Medical Education go to https://www.acgme.org/acgmeweb/

Besides the military websites, you can search the ACGME site for military residencies because they are overseen by the civilization organization of the Accreditation Committee on Graduate Medical Education. By military regulations, our residency programs must be conducted and accredited by the ACGME .

So in short, successfully completing a military residency will result in board eligibility.

Besides the military websites, you can search the ACGME site for military residencies because they are overseen by the civilization organization of the Accreditation Committee on Graduate Medical Education.

I like that an organization from civilization accredits the residency programs, because there are so many times I feel like I'm practicing in the woods.

I like that an organization from civilization accredits the residency programs, because there are so many times I feel like I'm practicing in the woods.

Freudian AutoCorrect: I like it!