Does OMT REALLY work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DO Boy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an incoming freshman to DO school. I honestly can't wait. BUT there are a few things I have to consider:

Where is the body of evidence that supports the efficacy of OMT (I have read ONE -- the recent Nov 4, 1999 NEJM article on OMT and low back pain)? My INTERVIEWER herself (an IM DO) told me that she thought part of OMT working was simply because you were touching the patient -- e.g. placebo effect. Sure, if it works, it works, but what happens when patients know it works in this way?

If OMT does work, the next question would be what percentage of OMT efficacy is due to a "touching effect"?

Finally, OMT usage is on the decrease (I have read several studies on this). If OMT is on the way out, then what good is it to be a DO since OMT is the most distinguishable factor between DOs and MDs (c'mon, every MD is going to the "treat patients not symptoms" these days).

So many questions, so few answers!

DO Boy

Members don't see this ad.

DO Boy,
I think your question is a good one. As far as if OMT is going out of practice that just depends on you. It doesn't matter what all of the DOs are doing it only matters if you choose to use OMT to decide if being a DO is useful to you. I know it is said that being a DO is more than OMT that there is a whole philosophy and all that jazz but that is a whole nother issue.

I think OMT is very useful. I started to question OMT and my decision to be a DO for a while until I was in real pain and one OMT treatment drastically cut the pain. This was definately not a case of placebo effect either. I could barely move my neck because of a restriction and after it was put in place my pain was removed and motion to my neck was drastically improved.

AS far as evidence that proves OTM works, I haven't seen it either. There is a lot of research published that talks about other osteopathic principals such as hypersympathetic tone.

------------------
Carrie
KCOM '03

Carrie,

I KNOW I would use OMT on my patients if in fact I know it's helping. But, because we are in the age of "evidenced-based" medicine, I think I would feel more comfortable knowing that these techniques have been shown to be efficacious in a prestigious peer-reviewed journal (like NEJM, JAMA, etc).

Good things can happen from this:
(1) I can cite the articles to my patients and other MDs so they can understand DOs and OMT and keep them from thinking it's a bunch of hocus pocus.
(2) Possibly improve the reimbursement rates for OMT by insurance companies after its usefulness has been shown in several larger scale clinical trials, cohort, case control studies (not just pilot studies!).
(3) Improve the overall interest in OMT and osteopathy.

I'm just amazed that I can't find too many articles on OMT efficacy, and the ones that I do find are pilot studies with little statistical power.

Anyways, if anyone can point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it greatly.

DO Boy

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't have the scientific evidence you seek (I know there are ongiong research projects, though) All I can say is that, for what it's worth, I use it on my wife at home (she has neck and low back problems) and she is very pleased with how it helps her.

There are some "minor" obstacles in devising good studies to prove the efficacy of OMT. As you will soon realize when you start your first year of OMT, osteopathic diagnoses are somewhat "unconventional".

For instance, take 2 individuals with lower back pain. X-rays are normal. They both have MRIs of their lumbar region and the MRIs show..."nothing", totally unremarkable. So, now what?! Conventionally, you can try muscle relaxants, perhaps check to see if they don't happen to have a shorter leg (more x-rays) but let's say you come up empty handed (after doing all the tests an allopath usually does). These two individuals go to a DO (in this case, probably someone who does a lot of OMT) and this DO may come up with a different diagnosis for each individual. Now, in all areas of medicine, different diagnosis carry their own individual prognosis. The same is true in this case. Individual A may have a diagnosis for his back pain which carries a better response to treatment than individual B (I won't go into details of what they may be right now). So individual A, by the nature of his problem, may be more responsive to OMT than individual B. So, mistakenly, one may argue that OMT is not truly efficaceous because it worked in individual A and not in individual B (1 out of 2). Because the diagnosis was different though, this is not a fair assesment of OMT (it is comparable to saying, individual A has stomach pain and so does individual B. They both receive drug X and individual A gets better but individual B doesn't; without taking into account that A had gas and B had irritable bowel syndrome...).

So, when you do a study on the efficacy of OMT on back pain, you need to get a group of patients and a control group where everyone has the same exact reason for the back pain. Let's suppose, for the sake of the argument, that they all have a backward sacral torsion. Then you are comparing apples to apples so to speak. However, if some of the participants in the study have back pain due to a backward sacral torsion, some due to a posterior innominate rotation and others due to an inflare,for instance, you cannot expect the same outcomes after treatment, as some things are easy to "fix" than others.

Additionally, one of the things you will also learn as a DO student, is that when it is said that DOs treat the patient as a "whole", we are not necessarly referring to the patient mind/body/psychosocial, although this is part of it too. But, as our MD students colleagues have pointed out, so do MDs today. Treating the patient as a "whole", and in this sense unique to osteopathy through its use of OMT, also encompasses the fact that, if a patient comes to you complaining of lower back pain, you may end up finding out that the problem is not in the lumbar back at all, but perhaps in the right shoulder, and you have to work from the right shoulder down, through a series of "links", so to speak, in order to treat the lumbar pain. This is, incidentally, one of the aspects that make OMT so time consuming to practice and not very financially rewarding, in this day and age. To be sure, there are some "quick and dirty" techniques: if you know your patient has carpal tunnel syndrome, for instance, there are techniques you can use on the wrist directly, you don't have to go hunting for something else. But for more vague problems (such as back pain or paresthesias and complete lack of any significant radioimaging findings) it takes a lot of time, work and experience to figure out what is going on and to treat it with OMT(my advice: refer these patients to people who specialize in OMT).

Reactions: 1 user
UHS2002,

Thank you for that very informative post. You've given me a much better understanding about what I'm going to be learning. Maybe my lack of more detailed osteopathy understanding was the reason questions were flying all throughout my head (I'm still waiting for my Discover Osteopathy book).

I understand the need to compare apples to apples idea in a controlled study, and I can certainly see the difficulty in obtaining this ideal. I guess all I wanted was some assurance that I could read for myself (preferrably) or hear from other DO/DO students that OMT was effective. I just spoke on the telephone with a DO neurosurgeon who finished at TCOM about surgical residencies as a DO. I also asked him about OMT;he did tell me it helped -- although he did not practice it.

Thanks again.

DO Boy

As UHS2002 points out, the nature of OMT makes it difficult to study empirically. How, for example, can one possibly design a "double-blind" trial of OMT? You couldn't deliver a "placebo" manipulative procedure without the doctor knowing it was a placebo. And even a "single-blind" design, in which the doctor delivers what (s)he THINKS is a dummy procedure, could in fact have physiological consequences (either salutory or detrimental to the patient's condition), thus confounding the data to be studied. This in no way implies, however, that OMT doesn't work. The fact is that more than a hundred years of the clinical experience of countless D.O.'s shows that it does work. While "anecdotal evidence" may not be the best evidence, it is certainly not worthless. Many medical therapies have been accepted on the basis of the experience of clinicians; aspirin, for example, was used and known to be effective for more than 60 years before rigorous empirical research proved it.

This si my first posting to this forum, and I wanted to respond to some of DO Boy's questions. Regarding research into OMT, the only source that I have found to publish things regularly is JAOA. At least at my school, the professors in the OPP department are very helpful about providing references to ongoing research into the topic. It is correct however, as they have pointed out in class, that OMT research is difficult for reasons mentioned elsewhere in this thread. Being an osteopath is not defined by utilizing OMT, rather it is defined by the specific approach to evaluating disease (and health) that we are taught. OMT is no doubt efficacious for many patients and it only helps us as osteopathic physicians to have this extra tool to use. In my opinion, OMT is a tool, not a philosophy (although it requires a thorough understanding of the philosophy to practice it appropriately.) As a first year student, I do not have the experience of UHS2002 to speak from, rather just some insights that I have picked up throughout this year (and they are certainly open to debate.) My best advice is when you begin learning about OMT, don't accept everything as truth, rather evaluate it in the context of anatomy, physiology, and science as draw your own conclusions about which therapies you feel are useful and which you feel are not. My own interpretations of what I have learned (and the amount I have learned is still quite limited) is that OMT in general is a valuable resource because, bluntly put, it has helped many people and that alone is reason to validate it. One more note to add: The temptation when learning OMT is to view it as a stand alone therapy, capable of restoring health by itself. When I asked one of my professors about this, it was explained to me that OMT is intended as an adjunct to traditional medicine and in no way should be viewed as a "cure-all". i'm sure this would be debated within the osteopathic community, however I feel that this view of OMT allows DO's to provide the most comprehensive care...one or the other alone is selling the patient short. AS I said, these are the opinions of a "newbie" medical student and I reserve the right to change them as I learn more
smile.gif
I'm curious about what other osteopathic students think. Good luck next year!

DO Boy-

It is good that you are asking questions, however, if you are entering into DO school, I should certainly hope that you knew what it was all about before accepting an admission..

that said, there is an expanding volume of literature being published on the efficacy of various techniques..if you look thru JAOA (our equivalent to JAMA) you will find several articles out of CCOM regarding the sacrum..actually, some OMT guru docs at CCOM are working feverishly to publish studies on the efficacy of OMT as viewed by MRI, etc..

its coming, but to be honest, it is just another trick in the bag..sometimes you will find a use, sometimes not..you will merely need to figure out how OMT incorporates into your style of practice.

try not to get so hung up on "evidence" and "numbers." sometimes you know something feels good but you just don't know why..

good luck

DO Boy,

In 1996, the Agency for Health Care Policy and Research (AHCPR) stated there are only three proven effective methods to treat acute low back pain:

1. Postural Modificaion
2. NSAIDS (alieve, advil, etc.)
3. Manipulation (OMT)

DO's and Chiros are the only ones who can legally help patients with manipulation. DO's are the only ones who can help in all three ways - educate on posture, prescribe medication, and perform manipulaton.

Well, I'm glad we can engage in a healthy discussion about this. While I did know about DOs and their philosophy before applying (I've worked with DOs as a premed), I was not completely aware of the "usefulness" of OMT which is what I was trying to ascertain.

For me, it's nice to hear that AHCPR includes it as one of three possible treatments for low back pain. This was what I was also sort of looking for...respectable acceptance in the health care community since I've heard all kinds of negative stuff individually from MDs and even DOs (why they don't use it, why it's a placebo response, etc.) Whatever the case, I guess I'll find out on my own much as you guys have throughout your medical career.

In fact, I've been reading good things about osteopathy as an "alternative medicine" (though this can be debated these days). One is craniosacral therapy. Anyone know if we learn this in DO school? Or is this just some esoteric DO manipulative technique requiring yrs of training? A lot of authors vouch for its almost "magical" ability to heal.

By the way, here's my main qualm and is the reason why I've been asking about OMT: It seems to me that the so-called internal "identity crisis" among DOs and external "identity crisis" by MDs and others of the osteopathic profession is a result of the widespread practice of orthodox medicine by DOs. Where is the treatment with little or no toxic, conventional drugs? How are DOs different if we "look for wellness and health" and "allow the body to heal itself or let Mother Nature run it's course" if MDs are doing the same thing? OMT then becomes one of the most defining characteristics of an osteopath (especially back in the day when it was all "pure" DOs ever used), and the identity crisis becomes more prominent if OMT is placebo, not effective, or even worse, not practiced by DOs.

Something ought to be done about this, don't you think? Maybe all DOs no matter what field of medicine should make an effort to practice OMT just 20% of the time. Where's the leadership? How come I never hear about the AOA in the media and as a lobbyist?

Otherwise, that MD who wrote the letter to the editor in the Nov 4 1999 NEJM was hella right: What in the world do we need TWO degrees for?

I don't want to be part of a dying or what's-the-difference breed. Shouldn't DOs promote their uniqueness as osteopaths by BEING unique? If OMT is known to work by all, the patients will come.

DO Boy
MPH candidate
and now...TCOM '04! Wahoo!

DO Boy,

While I think it's perfectly normal to have some hesitation before making a relatively important life decision - like entering medical school (osteopathic or allopathic), I think maybe you should do some sole searching over the next few months. You're asking lots of questions and that's great. I can tell you're not convinced that the osteopathic thing is for you. My advice is to consider why you chose to enter the field of medicine in general, and to talk to some DO's (rather than us students). They can tell you what it's like to be out there in practice. They can tell you about patients they've treated with OMM, and the outcomes they've acheived.

Over the past few months as DO student, I have gained a respect and appreciation for what we can do with OMM. At first, I was a bit skeptical (aren't we all a bit skeptical of seemingly foreign concepts), but the more I learn, the more excited I become about our profession.

Good luck and congrats on your acceptance to medical school.

Hey Gringo,

Yep, I suppose "anybody" can perform manipulation and not bill for it - even MD's!
smile.gif

Really though, I reckon you may be asking for trouble if you practice medicine that you're not licensed for.