does pathoma cover pathophysiology well?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc-Oc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
does pathoma cover pathophysiology well? if not please recommend another source/video series.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure what you mean exactly. Pathoma is god-tier.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
i know its amazing when it comes to pathology but is it good in integrating physiology along with the pathology?

This is actually a decent question and I can see what your asking. I also drew a distinct line between the pathology which I considered more looking at images under a microscope vs pathophysiology being more like biochemistry of cellular interactions, electrical forces, and mechanical forces. I think Pathoma does a decent job at places like respiratory but he is not comprehensive with it but nonetheless his book and video series is a must just because of the level of high yield detail he gives that shows up on the actual exam. For other sources refer to your school's curriculum and if not forums like USMLE forum/SDN/etc.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
No. You need Rapid Review Pathology for that.

Interestingly many times I would google explanations people would site Kaplan or RR. I think rather than using either of those though, consider just looking things up every time you have s question. These are medical students we are talking about and I guarantee your question has been asked before and is google-able. Also, if you can't find it and it's really important, consult SDN or use the giant USMLE FB group (for those curious just search it, it's there).

I definitely agree that something more comprehensive needs to come out that does a better job explaining mechanisms of disease in terms of physics, ions, etc. Goljian would be great but it's also filled with too much low yield material. Kaplan is great too but I'd imagine you'd have to sort through lots of other stuff in there as well.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

IMO, yes. For gaps in YOUR knowledge, use Goljan RR path for reference.

Perfect example is SLE. Swear I read that section in RR 7 times and still don't understand all of it.

Depends on the topic. Dr. Sattar does a great job explaining the pathophys of anemias/RBC disorders and also pulm. His videos are not as comprehensive on the pathophys of cardio/neuro systems, though. Pathoma is a pathology resource not pathophys.

Try: Pathophysiology Made Ridiculously Simple

Agree with what's been said above. Pathoma is good for explaining pathologies, and gives a cursory review of physiology at the start of each section, but doesn't really go the distance on a lot of things.

I've found medscape's "pathophysiology" section useful whenever I can't find the answers. If it's not there, usually a lengthy search for articles.

Heard good things about Goljan being very detailed but I don't plan on doing that until 2017.

Agree with what's been said above. Pathoma is good for explaining pathologies, and gives a cursory review of physiology at the start of each section, but doesn't really go the distance on a lot of things.

I've found medscape's "pathophysiology" section useful whenever I can't find the answers. If it's not there, usually a lengthy search for articles.

Heard good things about Goljan being very detailed but I don't plan on doing that until 2017.
Yea, medscape is often good for pathophys. So is UpToDate, for some diseases.

I'm a resident but think it's always good to study pathophysiology, because A. it helps you more easily remember things and organize them in your head and B. helps you somewhat think outside the box and understand varied or atypical presentations.