Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Does PCAT score affect my chance?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by zn1988, Mar 4, 2007.

1. zn1988

zn1988 member

Pharmacy Student
    I have a very poor Jan PCAT score (40), got rejected from MWU Glenade merely because they did not receive my score ontime ( it would not change if the score came ontime anyway). I would retake the PCAT either in August or October. However, I want to apply for the early-decision season to Pharmacy school this year, which starts in June. Does the score hurt me just even for the interview? I have 3.6 GPA, 15 credits counted for AP classes in highschool ( 1 Cal, 2 Physics), no community service yet.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. omnione

omnione SDN Pharmoderator
    Moderator Emeritus

Pharmacy Student
    40 is way too low IMO. You really need to retake the test. Of course, you could look into schools that don't look at your PCAT score but that 40 will cause most PCAT-taking schools to screen out your application.

I would shadow a pharmacist during the summer too.

4. Idesiretosling

Pharmacy Student
    Look into Oregon or California schools to apply early too and that don't require PCAT and then take the PCAT and apply to other schools later. The score does matter at schools that use the PCAT, otherwise why would they have you take the test.
    Shadowing a pharmacist or a tech job this summer would also be a great idea.

5. neopentane

u need to have a certain score 2 b called 4 interview....like w/ mercer its 60

6. ButlerPharm.D.

ButlerPharm.D. Honor Before Glory

Pharmacist
    Yes your score on the PCAT hurst you when applying to schools that require the PCAT. As neopentane has said, some schools set a minimum PCAT in order to be sent and interview request. Also, you might want to look into whether or not the schools you are interested in will accept your AP scores, many schools do not including the California schools I believe (don't quote me on this.).

7. honeykrown

Pre-Pharmacy
    ur score would definately not help u, i got an interview with a 45 tho i retook it, it wasnt better. But u an retake it and early decision would definately help u, eg Albany and other schools who do not take PCAT

8. KUMoose

KUMoose Grumpy old man

Pharmacist
    Yes, I know several schools that won't interview candidates with a PCAT that low. Take it again as soon as possible shoot for an 70 with higher Chem and Bio sections.

Also, get into a pharmacy for work experience (if not already there) and look to do something outside of work and school.

9. JerryPharmD

JerryPharmD Salt Miner
    Pharmacist

Pharmacist
    PCAT isn't the main factor with midwestern-glendale. However, it does help discern between similar candidates. You should get experience in a pharmacy, in my opinion. 300-400 level science classes will also make you a stronger applicant. I don't think they care too much as long as your PCAT is in the 60s or greater.

pm me with any other questions

10. zn1988

zn1988 member

Pharmacy Student
    I appreciate your opinions. So should I take the PCAT test in June in order to get a better score for the Pharmacy schools to look at?
    Can you explain more about shadowing pharmacist, where is it available?
    Thanks.