Does personality type affect job satisfaction?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RxMTM

Class of 2013
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an INTP . My profile definitely says that I should be doing something else. What is your personality type and how does it affect how you like pharmacy?

Members don't see this ad.

like a bad case of fungus he returns....werent you suspended twice?

Functions are more important than four letter types.

What are your functions?

Mine are NiFeTiSe. I'm INFJ/INFp

Myers Briggs would say that an INTP has TiNeSiFe.
Socionics would say that an INTj has TiNeSiFe.

Myers Briggs would say that an INTJ has NiTeFiSe.
Socionics would say that an INTp has NiTeFiSe.

So... what are your functions?

It's best to know your functions, because you work through them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Functions are more important than four letter types.

What are your functions?

Mine are NiFeTiSe. I'm INFJ/INFp

Myers Briggs would say that an INTP has TiNeSiFe.
Socionics would say that an INTj has TiNeSiFe.

Myers Briggs would say that an INTJ has NiTeFiSe.
Socionics would say that an INTp has NiTeFiSe.

So... what are your functions?

It's best to know your functions, because you work through them.

Has your personality type affected your job satisfaction in relation to pharmacy?

I am an INTP . My profile definitely says that I should be doing something else. What is your personality type and how does it affect how you like pharmacy?

RxMTM, thanks for bringing up an interesting topic. I think personality do not only affects career choices but also predicts whether a person will be satisfied with jobs in general. Some people can suck it up and tolerate high paying jobs that they just don't really enjoy(probably ESFJ, and ESTJ). Some people (INFP) can't stand not doing what is congruent to their beliefs and "real self."

http://www.personalitydesk.com/type-profile/infp-healer

INFP, like myself, are among types most likely to be dissatisfied with their work and too picky about jobs. Knowing this, I recognize that it is more important to do something I like rather than money and respect. ESFJs, mostly social butterflies, may care more about their social images and follow the "norms" (money & prestige & traditional jobs).

Rather than looking from the lists they gave to you from the career counseling centers, think of specific subsets of jobs in a careers. Today, a profession can offers varieties of working environment.

I can think of many career options that fit a variety of personality types in pharmacy. While ISTJ and ESTJ probably can fit very well in most traditional pharmacy jobs, there may be rooms from INFJ, INTP, or even INFP.

Having "N" and "P", you are probably a bit disorganized and like to daydream like me, which are the characteristics unfit for most pharmacy jobs that requires lots of detail orientation and practicality. But there are rooms for pharmacists in research, teaching, independent pharmacy, and independent compounding, which are more likely to satisfy INTP personality type. I would start identifying the specific jobs in pharmacy that you think that they will fit you and start shadowing or finding more information about them.

http://www.personalitydesk.com/type-profile/intp-architect

The advice from someone on this board to me is that there is nothing worse than lying to yourself, or trying to pretend to be something else with yourself. However, if you have the personality type that you can suck it up and relish on $100,000 annual salary.. then this statements won't apply to you :)

I am also starting to believe what PharmDstudent said on the forum today--> " Your job is what you make of it"

Good luck!

Last edited:
No - Unhappy people are generally unhappy wherever they go. Happy people tend to find happiness in whatever situation is handed them.

Now whiners... what do you think they do?

No - Unhappy people are generally unhappy wherever they go. Happy people tend to find happiness in whatever situation is handed them.

Now whiners... what do you think they do?

This is true but I think it is oversimplified. Maybe whiners need to put more efforts than "happy people" in finding what they want.. :) In the process of whining, some whiners may become more self-aware and identify parts of the work that is not congruent with their preferences and move toward the more satisfying things. :laugh: Whiner may be more self-actualized this way..

This is true but I think it is oversimplified. Maybe whiners need to put more efforts than "happy people" in finding what they want.. :) In the process of whining, some whiners may become more self-aware and identify parts of the work that is not congruent with their preferences and move toward the more satisfying things. :laugh: Whiner may be more self-actualized this way..

Nope - Whiners make excuses / complain. If they were self-actualized, they would see the futility of complaining by whining.

Seriously - I've done a ton of different jobs with a ton of different people. Somethings are universal.

Nope - Whiners make excuses / complain. If they were self-actualized, they would see the futility of complaining by whining.
Seriously - I've done a ton of different jobs with a ton of different people. Somethings are universal.

Thanks for the perspective! Majority of them are probably this way. But I think some whiners may be different and, with help, psychotherapy, or self-enlightenment, some can get out of the cycle, , move on, and have a satisfying life.

Thanks for the perspective! Majority of them are probably this way. But I think some whiners may be different and, with help, psychotherapy, or self-enlightenment, some can get out of the cycle, , move on, and have a satisfying life.

:D I see you are an optimist. That is a good trait to have... Make sure you temper it to allow people to be who they are. People can certainly change, but only if they choose to. It is a fallacy to believe you can help people change. "With help..." is a dangerous thought/opinion to have.

Members don't see this ad :)
:D I see you are an optimist. That is a good trait to have...
I am not an optimist. I just believe in the good nature of human. I guess that's why I am interested in mental health.

People can certainly change, but only if they choose to.
absolutely! That's the bottom line but mental heath workers can help facilitating the change. (for the "minority" who wants to change)

Huh?

That's like saying you're a vegetarian who loves chicken. Does not compute.
She believes in the "good nature of human", which is different from trying to put a bias (optimistic viewpoint) on every situation. In other words, what she believes in is specific to human nature, not life in general.
For all you know, she could be a realist or a pessimist - when it comes to everything other than human nature.

I try to find the good in people, if I can. As a pharmacist, though, you have to be a skeptic and that's hard if you're a sensitive person, which I happen to be.

She believes in the "good nature of human", which is different from trying to put a bias (optimistic viewpoint) on every situation. In other words, what she believes in is specific to human nature, not life in general.
For all you know, she could be a realist or a pessimist - when it comes to everything other than human nature.

I try to find the good in people, if I can. As a pharmacist, though, you have to be a skeptic and that's hard if you're a sensitive person, which I happen to be.

I don't think pessimist (or realist) are allowed to believe in the "good nature of human". I mean that sounds like an inherently optimistic viewpoint to me.

PharmDstudent is right. I could believe that the sky is falling and PharmDs, RNs, and all HCPs will all be out of job tomorrow...value of USD will depreciate rapidly to 1 yen/1 dollar but I still can believe that all the whiners (including myself) and trolls on SDN are great people and deserve tender loving care. :laugh: :smuggrin:

One INTP to another, pharmacist is the perfect career for an INTP.

You will have more than enough money to pursue side projects and interests.

And to be honest this is the easiest, great paying job that exists.

The $50 an hour will make you feel less worthless as you drudge through 40 hour work weeks and can daydream about what fun things you can buy, trips to go on, or whatever else pops in your mind.

All personality types are needed in every profession.

INTPs just happen to be the most valuable commodity out there.

The $50 an hour will make you feel less worthless as you drudge through 40 hour work weeks and can daydream about what fun things you can buy, trips to go on, or whatever else pops in your mind.

I am INFP. You can call me whiner or whatever. It is difficult for me to sacrifice 40 hrs/ weeks for something I don't like for $$$ for the rest of my life but part-time is fine.

I think this is the main difference between "T"(thinking) and "F" (feeling). Thinker counterparts are more likely to be able to tolerate the jobs they may not enjoy much for money and hobbies and do not feel too miserable. :D kudos to INTP folks.

I am INFP. You can call me whiner or whatever. It is difficult for me to sacrifice 40 hrs/ weeks for something I don't like for $$$ for the rest of my life but part-time is fine.

I think this is the main difference between "T"(thinking) and "F" (feeling). Thinker counterparts are more likely to be able to tolerate the jobs they may not enjoy much for money and hobbies and do not feel too miserable. :D kudos to INTP folks.

These classifications are BS - They work along soft based sciences, similar to economics. They break down when applied to any one individual. Truth is, you are likely a mixture of all the various classes. Dependent upon the day and your mood, you may very well become a polar opposite of yourself.

Don't pigeon-hole yourself... you can be any damn person you want to be.

Final thought - How can you believe in the good will of man without being an optimist? One is a foundation principle of the other. If a person chooses to not be an optimist in other parts of his / her life - that would be selective optimism...

Last edited:
Sorry but it is not BS. Only simple minded folks think that.

But, I know that I can't change your mind about MBTI.

I only can control your mind through manipulation.

I would advise you to never let anyone know what your 4 letter type is, because they will control you. Especially since you are most likely a Sensor.

I would make you my puppet.

Too bad for you. You kind of sound like a whiner.

Sacrifice is for fools, like jesus.

But, I know that I can't change your mind about MBTI.

I only can control your mind through manipulation.

I would advise you to never let anyone know what your 4 letter type is, because they will control you. Especially since you are most likely a Sensor.

I would make you my puppet.

Too bad for you. You kind of sound like a whiner.

Sacrifice is for fools, like jesus.

Go on...

Those tests about 4-letter personality types give you different results when you take them at different times.

It gave me one thing in high school, something different in college, and the same thing I had in high school when I took it as a pharmacy student.

Your test result doesn't mean you are that type 24/7.

I completely agree. I'm an INTP and the friends that i know who are NFs are much more concerned with bringing their ideals into their day to day life experience with regards to their job and education. I dont have any particular idealistic view of enjoyment from work or love of a specific career or job .. i just chose pharmacy because it was the most rational and flexible career at the time. I'm sure there would be other jobs I would enjoy more.. but ive enjoyed every job ive ever held (14 or so) and im sure pharmacy will be the same.

To me, there is no job that i could reasonably support myself with doing what i enjoy most in life , so I figure i'd take a job i enjoy a decent amount and make the most of it. I'm thinking of only working part time, in order to have more time for myself, but I dont think i would have a problem working full time either, even retail (retail is way more exciting and stressful (in a good way) than other types of jobs).

People tell me im the most optimistic person they know though. If i cant get a pharmacy job when i graduate i will have no problem working at a menial labor job.

Last edited:
Those tests about 4-letter personality types give you different results when you take them at different times.

It gave me one thing in high school, something different in college, and the same thing I had in high school when I took it as a pharmacy student.

Your test result doesn't mean you are that type 24/7.

That's a cornerstone of soft-sciences... They always fall apart when you apply them to a specific situation. The fact is, you don't always fit into one of those "holes".

In fact, you probably fit into several in different situations. The notion that your actions could be somehow estimated by normalized responses is absurd. No matter how many times you calculate the averages.

I think there is something to personality types, but they aren't 100%. I think they give you an idea of how a person would prefer to act/situations they'd prefer to be in/etc. But there is no way I am ENFJ 100% of the time. (I only can quote a specific type because I took a test a couple weeks ago). I think people adjust to the situations they are in and the people they are around. We also change over time. I'm pretty sure I scored completely opposite 10 years ago (definitely I and T, the others I'm not sure). I also acted completely different and was more comfortable in different situations than I am now.

I think I'm rambling and not making sense. I'm trying to say that I dont think anybody fits the same personality typing 100% of the time. Even if they did, they could behave differently based on the situation. My personality when it comes to work/professionalism is not the same when it comes to my personal time. Deadlines and organization? Incredibly important at work and school. Barely play into my personal time.

Am I making any sense any more? I think I need coffee.

These classifications are BS - They work along soft based sciences, similar to economics. They break down when applied to any one individual. Truth is, you are likely a mixture of all the various classes. Dependent upon the day and your mood, you may very well become a polar opposite of yourself.

Don't pigeon-hole yourself... you can be any damn person you want to be.

Final thought - How can you believe in the good will of man without being an optimist? One is a foundation principle of the other. If a person chooses to not be an optimist in other parts of his / her life - that would be selective optimism...

"MBTI is one of the most widely used personality instruments in the world. Its ease of use, high statistical validity and reliability make it one the most respected personality instruments that exist. The test/retest measurement is very accurate, in 75% of cases, individuals will test the same in 3 of the 4 dimensions. Over 600 dissertations have been written on the MBTI and there are well over 1,000 articles and dozens of books. An average of 2 million people in the United States takes the MBTI each year and it has been translated into more than 30 languages."

"MBTI is one of the most widely used personality instruments in the world. Its ease of use, high statistical validity and reliability make it one the most respected personality instruments that exist. The test/retest measurement is very accurate, in 75% of cases, individuals will test the same in 3 of the 4 dimensions. Over 600 dissertations have been written on the MBTI and there are well over 1,000 articles and dozens of books. An average of 2 million people in the United States takes the MBTI each year and it has been translated into more than 30 languages."

And your point?

It's still a soft science - when applied to ANY single person - the entire basis for trending falls apart. You cannot predict what any "one" person will do in any given situation. By extension, you cannot predict any opinion or belief, much less job satisfaction.

They are BS - just like other soft sciences. Don't sell yourself short - this test won't tell whether or not you will enjoy retail pharmacy, only experience can.