Does Residency Reputation Impact Private Practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's also VERY regional. People in my hometown think Wake Forest and Vandy are amazing, almost-Ivy quality schools. One of my classmates from Minnesota had never heard of Wake and had only vaguely heard of Vandy. Up there, it's all about the Mayo (which everyone's heard of...) and the U of M (which I have no idea what that is).

Medicine is regional.

Members don't see this ad.

It's also VERY regional. People in my hometown think Wake Forest and Vandy are amazing, almost-Ivy quality schools. One of my classmates from Minnesota had never heard of Wake and had only vaguely heard of Vandy. Up there, it's all about the Mayo (which everyone's heard of...) and the U of M (which I have no idea what that is).

Medicine is regional.

Medicine is regional for the layman. But there are programs with national reputations that are known to those in the know.

Medicine is regional for the layman. But there are programs with national reputations that are known to those in the know.

And then there are programs with international reputations that are known to those in the know!

Internationally no one would ever talk about Mayo as a major player in psychiatry.
Internationally no one has heard of the Cambridge Health Alliance, but nationally it appears to have a strong reputation for psychiatry.
Nationally most people would regard NYU as having more 'prestige' for psychiatry than Mt Sinai, but the reverse is true internationally.

It is also important to bear in mind that the 'prestige' of some names does not carry the same currency to everyone. Whilst the 'Harvard' name for example may have more pluses than minuses, there are some people who feel very negative about 'Harvard' and would not want to see a Harvard-trained quack.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's highly variable, even across nationalities. I was talking to a few families in north rural China and they thought of Harvard and Stanford with great admiration, but had never heard of UCSD, UCSF, or Columbia.

No way! A heated debate about prestige on SDN???

You know, as far as IM saying in their note that "psychology" has been consulted, sometimes this happens. Sometimes psychology does see patients, even in the hospital. I'm just saying.

It's highly variable, even across nationalities. I was talking to a few families in north rural China and they thought of Harvard and Stanford with great admiration, but had never heard of UCSD, UCSF, or Columbia.

Did you ask them what psychiatry residency program they thought was best? What about psychodynamic vs CBT?

Yes, they felt Hopkins is too biological and Cornell is too psychoanalytic, and suggested I go for solid CBT training. They told me to consider UCLA, MGH, and even Stanford where I can work with David Burns who eats Chinese food after every CBT session.... naw just kidding.

What do you guys think are the best specialities/subspecialties for one wanting to enter private practice, given the foreseeable future of physicians being more and more affiliated with larger healthcare organizations and hospitals?